Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: android tv box
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm 

If you can wait 24 hours to watch a show I would say it works fine. If you want to watch live it is not always great.

Really good for movies though.

I still carry a tv subscription but augment with KODI.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:05 pm 

Ultimately, if you want instant access to the latest and greatest media, Android boxes are not the way to go. But if you like to tinker, like most audiophiles do, and if your are tired of paying for a couple of hundred channels you never watch because Bell and Rogers are digging their heels in when it comes to giving you what you really want, then go for it. After a couple of decades with Bell Satellite (only thing available in my rural area) I finally pulled the plug last summer. They couldn't come up with a barebones package that fit my needs, because their needs came first. I was reluctant to cut the cord, but have never regretted it. What I want to watch, I can get from my local library (a fabulous source for moves and tv series), plus Kodi and a Netflix subscription gives me the rest. It slows you down. I don't need to see every new tv episode as it comes out. I don't mind waiting a while to get them all at once.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm 

We use the "onD" box from Stream Team and we love it. We purchased this off Amazon about 3 months ago and have had absolutely no problems with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 pm 

I don't find it that hit or miss at all. Running 2 minix X-8H Plus boxes bought from Memory Express with the specific intent of running Kodi. One box is ~ 2 years old, the other is about 1.5 yrs old. Certainly, you have to tinker a little to keep them up to date but as stated above, lots of you tube vids to help get you flying. We've found it excellent for both TV and movies - there is a couple of feed sources that just plain don't work but once you know which ones those are you can either avoid them or there is youtube vids again that can help you avoid them even coming up.

As for legality, here's a good article from the Toronto Star to help you out.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/01/16/how-canadian-law-views-online-streaming-video-geist.html

Norm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:44 pm 

cleopatra52 wrote:
We use the "onD" box from Stream Team and we love it. We purchased this off Amazon about 3 months ago and have had absolutely no problems with it.

+1 I have been using one for about a year with no problems. I like it so much I may buy a second one for the bedroom system. I still haven't cut the cord yet on Shaw but I really should. Plus there is only one OTA channel out here so the Android tv box is the best option.

Last edited by Albert on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm 

Well I have been without cable for going on 2 years , use an OTA antenna for local TV and a Kodi box in the bedroom and a dedicated PC running Kodi in the living room where I watch most of my TV . The box was $60 on Amazon and came "loaded " , so deleted most of those addon's and just have Exodus , Pro sport and Phoenix on it , don't need anything else . never use it for live TV , like mentioned next day is fine with me . You have to pick what you want to watch and can take a few minutes to boot up the box and go to your show , but have been able to watch all the HBO , etc shows I never got to watch before , but I can go a few days without turning on the TV so for me it's great . If you are a flicker type it's a no go .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:06 pm 

milesian wrote:
Ultimately, if you want instant access to the latest and greatest media, Android boxes are not the way to go. But if you like to tinker, like most audiophiles do, and if your are tired of paying for a couple of hundred channels you never watch because Bell and Rogers are digging their heels in when it comes to giving you what you really want, then go for it. After a couple of decades with Bell Satellite (only thing available in my rural area) I finally pulled the plug last summer. They couldn't come up with a barebones package that fit my needs, because their needs came first. I was reluctant to cut the cord, but have never regretted it. What I want to watch, I can get from my local library (a fabulous source for moves and tv series), plus Kodi and a Netflix subscription gives me the rest. It slows you down. I don't need to see every new tv episode as it comes out. I don't mind waiting a while to get them all at once.

We did something similar.
When the kids were small we started using our local library for basic cd computer games teaching reading and math and we also picked up kids cartoons. Later as they got older we started getting some dvd movies from the library and I decided to cut the cord and switch to fta satellite I also installed a rooftop antenna for local stations. I quit the satellite merry go round when it became to costly to keep upgrading receivers but dvd had graduated from movies to tv shows and then to whole season box sets, so an antenna and dvd player was plenty. A couple of years ago I got my android live tv box, not for movies but for watching British television since that's where I was born I wanted to see what was going on in real time, yay BBC, ITV and SKY networks. Movies we always had access to through the library and local tv comes from the antenna. So my point is that an android box works better as a supplement for your tv needs to enhance your entertainment options.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:30 pm 

I'm running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi3. I would never recommend this method to a non-technical person. The price is right and it has its glitches. A PC platform is more turnkey but you'll still be confronted with the configuration and iffyness of Kodi streams. Freetelly is an improvement but it will still have the same iffyness of streams. I prefer a purposed lightweight 'appliance' mode over using a PC thus the Raspberry attraction twinned with a Roku. The Roku isn't entirely necessary when you are using Kodi but is it a very reliable and cost effective platform for the mainstream channels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm 

I just bought 2 nexbox a95x, fantastic little devices, I knew nothing about these things so I bought 1 all set up for me. After playing around with it for a week I bought my wife one on amazon and programned it myself. There are several add ons that have live tv, mic (made in canada) must have 75-100 live channels from around the globe. Exodus has just about every tv series ever made but it's not live tv channels. I watched the most recent episode of the walking dead the same night it was on amc, about half an hour after the live airing started.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:37 pm 

I see the Minix-Neo-Plus-X8H-android box is around $200
I wouldn't mind paying that amount if it was going to be trouble free and give me TV and movies
I really don't mind if the TV shoes are 1 day or 1 week old lol!!

Can these boxes work properly on WIFI..I can't really run a hard wire to my TV since I live in a condo and all the walls are concrete and there is no easy path to my TV

I run my WD box on WIFI and watch Net Flicks on it and it seems to be fine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:04 pm 

markmiata wrote:
Can these boxes work properly on WIFI..I can't really run a hard wire to my TV since I live in a condo and all the walls are concrete and there is no easy path to my TV

We have a 50Mbps internet plan and our box works well on wifi. Some claim a 25Mbps service is sufficient.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:05 pm 

My android Streamteam tv box connects by wifi to my router in another room. I have had no connection problems at all and movies at 1080p look great with no buffering during the movie. It is connected to my new dvdo matrix44 hdmi switcher so I can watch on my TV or large screen. I think my plan is just 10Mps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm 

I think right now my plan is 6 mps..but it works fine with Net Flicks
I guess it is important to get a box that has a good support system or at least a box that has a good online fourm
I really wonder why some boxes are $60 and some are $200..do you really get a better box for $200
I really just want hassle free TV and Movies and if it costs $200 for that I will pay it :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:02 am 

markmiata wrote:
I see the Minix-Neo-Plus-X8H-android box is around $200
I wouldn't mind paying that amount if it was going to be trouble free and give me TV and movies
I really don't mind if the TV shoes are 1 day or 1 week old lol!!

I run my WD box on WIFI and watch Net Flicks on it and it seems to be fine

I've got two of these model Minix boxes, one on a lan connection and another on wifi. I cannot tell the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:31 am 

markmiata wrote:
I think right now my plan is 6 mps..but it works fine with Net Flicks
I guess it is important to get a box that has a good support system or at least a box that has a good online fourm
I really wonder why some boxes are $60 and some are $200..do you really get a better box for $200
I really just want hassle free TV and Movies and if it costs $200 for that I will pay it :)

I run a minix u1 downstairs and a g-box in the bedroom. imo, yes, you get what you pay for.