Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: android tv box
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm 

Has anyone bought one of these new and improved android TV box's
I know people that have them, They are good for watching movies but no one I know use's them for watching TV
I would love to move to basic cable and get one of these box's for watching TV and movies
Also do these box's work ok running them wireless??
Thanks for any suggestions

Post subject: Re: android tv box
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:29 pm 

Many discussions here.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/search.php?keywords=android&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You have to explore to see how many music, movie, and many TV channels are available.

I use mine (MyGica) wireless, no problems at all...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:50 pm 

I use jynxbox live and it all depends which program you use for live TV. They can be glitchy and the streams freeze up on some channels. The latest boxes are better especially with the picture quality.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:54 pm 

My niece has one, not too sure how old it was but it was a bust. Constant freeze up and low quality.
I'm still not sold on the quality. All I want it Hi-Def, Dolby Digital and a stable signal. So far it's a non starter.
A little off topic but in the States they are offering You Tube TV. For about $35/month you get a bunch of sports stations and network feeds. Now that is interesting but as usual NOT AVAILABLE IN CANADA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 pm 

You need to install a pro stb emulator and then find a reliable iptv provider. Personally I don't think it is there yet the picture quality suffers a bit. My neighbour swears by it at 12 dollars a month he is quite satisfied. You also need high speed 25mbs download as a minimum recommended. fwiw, T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm 

tsearay wrote:
You need to install a pro stb emulator and then find a reliable iptv provider. Personally I don't think it is there yet the picture quality suffers a bit. My neighbour swears by it at 12 dollars a month he is quite satisfied. You also need high speed 25mbs download as a minimum recommended. fwiw, T

Most of the guys at work have gone the IPTV route. tsearay is spot on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am 

I have an older Mygica which works well. Navigating Kodi for your media files is like learning another language but there's a lot of information out there to help you set things up. I'm wary of the ones you see advertised as loaded on Kijiji or local buy and sells. I dropped $100 on one and it came so loaded with crap it was unusable. Mygica is pretty reliable, has hdmi output, and a couple of USB ports for adding hard drives with your ripped media. I could use another couple of usbs mind you. I control it onscreen with a wireless mouse. You can add legitimate stuff like Netflix, or you can load up something like Exodus, which is the best I have found so far for current media. Quality can be spotty if you are looking for current releases, but surprisingly the stuff I missed when I dropped Satellite tv last year is available and I've been able to catch up. Technically, since you are not saving the media to a hard drive you are not doing anything illegal, but that's debatable and may change one day. Occasionally, there are buffering problems which didn't seem to improve when I went Ethernet. I can only connect mine on 2.4Ghz, I also have a recent Roku for Netflix which works flawlessly on my 5Ghz band.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:31 am 

If you are reasonably computer savvy, you can hook it up to your TV via HDMI (assuming your computer has that capability, of course) and use Kodi, which is the software that many (if not all) of these boxes use. Then install any number of plug-ins , like Exodus for TV/Movies, and you're good to go. It costs you nothing, except for your internet costs.
The thing is, these android boxes are in a legal grey area, as the CRTC put a stop on new sales of them last July, so you have to buy them through shady online guys, who may or may not be around in a month. I've known several people who've been paying $10-$15 a month, to be left high and dry when their 'carrier' went out of business. I prefer to 'roll my own', though the one thing I've found is that watching live TV is pretty hit-and-miss. Contrary to Milesian, I can only use 5GHz when using Kodi and/or Netflix...
B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 am 

I own one and it's nothing to write home about. It was difficult to set up and without YouTube videos I would have thrown out the window. Once set up you are constantly searching for content. Once you have content you are searching for a stream. It can take 5 minutes to find and start steaming a movie and sometimes longer. There isn't a movie or television show that is worth that kind of aggravation. It was my wife's idea to get it as she was under the mistaken impression you could watch live television without have cable. There are very few live television stations that are streaming and the one's I found were American based i.e. Los Angeles. There isn't a hope in heck that she would remember all the steps to watch something she wanted.

With that said I have only had it a month and there could be ways to simplify the whole procedure, I am just not willing to learn. Also remember just because something streams today doesn't mean it streams tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 am 

mantisory wrote:
The thing is, these android boxes are in a legal grey area, as the CRTC put a stop on new sales of them last July, so you have to buy them through shady online guys, who may or may not be around in a month.

My Son bought one this week from amazon.ca, the new Minix U9-H...
We have an older Minix that works fairly well, using Kodi and Exodus or Specto. Sometimes the streams are incorrectly labelled with respect to episode number, captions are hit or miss, and I have yet to find any 5.1 channel audio. Picture quality is usually 720p for newish shows, a few are 1080p.
They can work well if loaded/programmed well.

Last edited by devon58 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:15 am 

devon58 wrote:
mantisory wrote:
The thing is, these android boxes are in a legal grey area, as the CRTC put a stop on new sales of them last July, so you have to buy them through shady online guys, who may or may not be around in a month.

My Son bought one this week from amazon.ca, the new Minix U9-H...
We have an older Minix that works fairly well, using Kodi and Exodus or Spector. Sometimes the streams are incorrectly labelled with respect to episode number, captions are hit or miss, and I have yet to find any 5.1 channel audio. Picture quality is usually 720p for newish shows, some are 1080p.
They can work well if loaded/programmed well.

Amazon does order fulfillment for other seller, they don't sell everything on their website. For example, that Minix box is sold directly by Minix technologies from Hong Kong. Good luck ever getting support for it. Like I said, I've know several people who've been shafted with this stuff. Best to just download the software and run it on a computer. YMMV, of course.
b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 am 

If you are going wireless you need to consider purchasing one that is 802.11ac compatible for faster throughput. Ideally purchasing network extenders that plug in to your home wiring. Get the ones with the plug you will need it. Fwiw, T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am 

Depending on where you live, supplementing these boxes with an OTA TV antenna for local broadcasts can work really well.

Some of the boxes do fine with a wireless connection and some are pretty poor and only perform well with a hard wired connection. Probably best to read reviews.

I would start by downloading the Kodi software on a computer with hdmi output and hook it up to a tv or use a laptop and follow YouTube videos on installing 'tvaddons'. You need to see if it is something that works for you without sinking money into it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 pm 

While it is possible to run Kodi on a PC, my experience reading other threads on this subject is that the add-ons are frequently riddled with malware....something you might not want on your PC. My advice is to tread carefully if this is the route you choose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:39 pm 

Thanks for all the advice guy's
I guess it really a hit and miss kind of thing
I don't think it would be a good idea for me to cancel my cable and buy one of these box's thinking I would be happy with the live TV
I think I might go to basic cable and just order a couple speciality channels..probably 1/2 the channels I get now I never watch :(
I'm with Cogeco cable

Thanks Again