Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm 

why home theatre at all?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:56 pm 

Psciguy wrote:
why home theatre at all?

Seriously? Why anything at all other than surviving?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:20 pm 

triathleteman wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649331906-yamaha-yht1810-complete-home-theater-package-receiver-excellent-condition-with-box-and-remote/

No affiliation to me

That sounds like a great deal; it meets your budget, is a major improvement over the TV, and will give you a 2 to 3 year window to upgrade....while being functional and current.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 pm 

I appreciate everyone's input. I admittedly am still a bit confused but I think I will try to pick up a receiver and just a couple speakers to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 pm 

I had a similar budget and kept within the $400 dollars limit I imposed for bedroom tv audio. Ended up finding a NAD c715 2 channel receiver with a nice pair of PSB bookshelf speakers on Kijiji. I picked a Bluetooth adapter to be available for tablets and used an HDMI decoding DAC. Simple clean great for music and movies. Did you not see the link from the previous poster? Looks decent for you.

prism

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 am 

That package was a good fit but lacked future upgradibility..If that's a word.

For those curious, I picked up a denon receiver with everything I was looking for, and these fantastic looking speakers from some English company call b&w. Haven't heard them yet, but they look great on the stands. I went over budget by $25, but I think I did well. I'll be looking for some stuff to add, but for now I should have a good step over the TV speakers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:38 am 
Premium User

Djphonics wrote:
That package was a good fit but lacked future upgradibility..If that's a word.

For those curious, I picked up a denon receiver with everything I was looking for, and these fantastic looking speakers from some English company call b&w. Haven't heard them yet, but they look great on the stands. I went over budget by $25, but I think I did well. I'll be looking for some stuff to add, but for now I should have a good step over the TV speakers.

Ok, now I must know, what Denon receiver ( fully loaded) with what model B&W speakers did you get for 475.00 ??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:53 am 

The receiver is an avr s710w. Anyone know which app I can use for this? And cdm 1 speakers. Ohh, it was 425, not 475.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:31 pm 

I think we were all poor and at the beginning once in hifi. Lots of cheap stuff to get ya going and at least listening before huge layout. I never thought - in my dreams - I would ever have the great kit, I now have, from where I started.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:50 pm 

I must say I have been very taken back with a lot of what I've seen this far. I have always known that there are costly set ups but never really put it together. I don't mind doing the incremental steps to building a system, but it looks like a few years may pass by before it's completed.

I will be on the look out for some additions in the near future, but for the time being I'm content. I will probably pick up a cheap secondhand sub to get some low end bass in the near future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:00 pm 
Premium User

Djphonics wrote:
The receiver is an avr s710w. Anyone know which app I can use for this? And cdm 1 speakers. Ohh, it was 425, not 475.

Well done !!! You should be quite happy with that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am 

LEAFS264 wrote:
Djphonics wrote:

Full disclosure: the speakers aren't mine to keep. A co-worker lent me these as he wasn't using them. I was just going to pick up some older speakers and run with those for a bit. He was kind enough to offer these, and now I can save an extra couple bucks or so.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 am 
Premium User

Djphonics wrote:
LEAFS264 wrote:
Djphonics wrote:

Full disclosure: the speakers aren't mine to keep. A co-worker lent me these as he wasn't using them. I was just going to pick up some older speakers and run with those for a bit. He was kind enough to offer these, and now I can save an extra couple bucks or so.

Well, at least you can demo them for a bit. If you decide you like them, you'll always have the option to offer some cash to keep them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am 

I think he may have set me up. They have impressed me quite a bit. Someone is stopping by on Wednesday to demo some energy e xl 26's and I'm a bit concerned that they won't create the same 'stage' effect.

I looked at b&w's site, and it doesn't look like they make anything similar to these in the aesthetics department. Does anyone know where I could information about their model line from around this time?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:52 am 
Premium User

Djphonics wrote:
I think he may have set me up. They have impressed me quite a bit. Someone is stopping by on Wednesday to demo some energy e xl 26's and I'm a bit concerned that they won't create the same 'stage' effect.

I looked at b&w's site, and it doesn't look like they make anything similar to these in the aesthetics department. Does anyone know where I could information about their model line from around this time?

Feel free to email B&W. They will send you any and all information about any of their speakers.