Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:05 am 

hi guys.

need to get a 2.1 system that i can use for both great music and also double as my
'home theatre'....had 5.1 yrs ago, and no longer want all the wires, multiple items etc

$2-4k budget.

prefer something that can also stream music (i listen to spotify/tidal)
, has an fm tuner (or internet radio)
and can take my ripped cd and 24/192 files...also can sync to a 4k tv perhaps for my 'home theatre' lol.

i was considering the denon avr x3300w 7.1
http://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x3300w/review
as it can stream and also sync to tv...but i'd only be using 2.1 channels (with sub)
(but is missing fm tuner: i love cbc tapestry and jazz stations at night).

also for time being was thinking of just a little home unit for $600 until i decide
both denon and yamaha have well reviewed ones
http://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m40dab/review
http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio- ... mode=model

thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by canali on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:12 am 

Would this sort of thing work for you?
https://www.amazon.ca/Denon-PMA-50-Comp ... B00RMPCH6G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:25 pm 

If you put money into good powered monitors you can use an oppo as your preamp. It has Tidal onboard, analog outs with volume control.

You can wait for the 203 or pick up a used 103 soon to be available from upgraders. For the speakers I would look to a pair of Mackie hr824mk2 or similar. No sub strictly required for a small room. You could run the speakers directly off your TV or PVR until you found a suitable option for a preamp or transport. If I could do it all again I would have gone large pro audio monitors.

I cant think of a simpler solution to cut the fat and keep the performance. Careful with the small minisystens if you like dynamic sound. They're not really meant for home theater.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:39 am 

would this set up be your primary music playback set up or an option for music in the same room as your tv? You'll likely have to choose a priority here to put something together as one system.
I replaced an under utilized 2ch set up in my living room with a Naim Muso. It works as my tv sound at all times and delivers a quality playback for when I want to listen to music. It covers all of your requirements except there does not appear to be an easy way for a sub integration.
Another option that delivers quite an impressive playback is to build a set up with Sonos components. A Play Bar and Sonos sub provides an excellent option for tv sound and you could add a couple Play 5's in stereo configuration with the sub for music playback. I had a dealer set this up for a demo and was quite impressed for the cost. The shortfall with this though is Sonos will not recognize high rez files. If you have a primary music system then you would only be giving up that portion of your music on such a set up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:57 am 

thanks for the suggestions
....the system would be doubling as hifi and 'home theatre' in same
smaller room: 15 x 20.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:22 am 

If I were to do something like this I would likely try to make it a 3.1 system rather than 2.1 - that centre channel seems to me to be important when watching tv, movies, etc...
B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:48 am 

luckily i do still have a 3way speaker sitting around....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:42 am 

I recently purchased this....

to use as a receiver in a smaller room. It's a 2.1 unit with all of the bells and whistles for Spotify, Airplay, Bluetooth, etc and the MusicCast App allows for ease of use when selecting different inputs. With the subwoofer and a good pair of fronts it fills the room quite nicely. No, it's not as good for TV/Movies as my 7.1 system in my media room but it's great as a second unit and its sound for music is great. The phono stage is a nice touch as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:06 am 

Reckoner wrote:
I recently purchased this....

to use as a receiver in a smaller room. It's a 2.1 unit with all of the bells and whistles for Spotify, Airplay, Bluetooth, etc and the MusicCast App allows for ease of use when selecting different inputs. With the subwoofer and a good pair of fronts it fills the room quite nicely. No, it's not as good for TV/Movies as my 7.1 system in my media room but it's great as a second unit and its sound for music is great. The phono stage is a nice touch as well.

I have a dedicated hi-fi, and a soundbar/sub for my TV. If I was going to suggest anything to someone, it would be this. There are some nice 2.1 units out there that can double down.

As much as the centre channel is used in a surround setup, there are some out there on other forums who are more than happy with just an L and R speaker... good imaging is key here.

I haven't seen whether or not there is a bias towards one or the other... or is it 50/50 Music and HT?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:50 am 

I think you would be happy with a Denon amp. I bought a 3805 Denon receiver for a second system and it is very good for 2 channel music. It has a "pure direct" mode to bypass unnecessary circuits. I feed it into a pair of Goodmans Axiom 301's and found it to be much better in 2 channel than other home theatre amps I have had(Marantz, Harman Kardon, Pioneer). I use it for the TV sound, Denon DVD player, B&O 1700 turntable.

Rega Exon monos, YBA Alpha 2 pre, Kefkit 3's, Luxman pd289

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:00 am 

thanks guys....some have suggested being careful of an only 2.1 receiver as it won't have hdmi imputs for any 5.1 add ons etc ....so might await to look at the new oppo 203 or 205d amps coming out soon (but wish it had an FM tuner: i do love listening to cbc/bbc jazz/classical stations...classical fm is a new gem find).

also looking at the Onkyo TX-NR8160 or the Yamaha R-N602 receivers: both of which provide both digital (including Hi-Res Audio) and analog audio playback, access to select internet streaming services, Bluetooth, and also have Subwoofer outputs

heck i was even thinking of 'for now' just going with a denon m40 mini system (or the yahama 560) until i decide on which way to go, just to get some music in my apt...or get a nice blutooth speaker with aptx to tide me over (riva s or other)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:25 am 

I would like to add that as I've gone through my process of building a 2.1 system with the Yamaha RN602, I've learned that I really appreciate the connectivity/input options that come with it. My friends have already appreciated the bluetooth/spotify option so they can easily play their playlists on their phones through it. I wish it had pre-outs so I could add an amp and give it more kick. For music, it's good but it could be better...obviously.

As I'm sure others here at CAM have experienced, the snowball effect is kicking in and I'm now looking to upgrade my 7.1 system to a 7.2 or 9.2 network receiver with the same networking functions as the RN602, but with preouts so I can double it up as a 2 channel system for music. There are some really interesting AVRs out there, especially for those who don't mind a wire or 50. Fun, fun fun. If only I could win the lottery.

As an aside, for fun, I plugged the RN602 into Zone 2 of my Denon 7.1, ran the coax from my DVR into my DAC and then analog into the Denon and created a 9.2 system. That was interesting. Then, I ran both the RN602 and Denon with Pure Direct for music creating a 4.2 system. More fun. Now I'm ranting.