Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:30 pm 

newmusic wrote:
Ive always used the HDMI from the cable box and blu ray to the tv. But for audio I always use the analog rca outs on the cable box. Sounds way better than the dig out in my comparisons. Blu ray I use coax out to my d-a.
Ive even gone so far as to run the analog outs from the cable box into a a-d then back into my high end d-a. This is a significant performance upgrade as the sound now has much more of everything I like. It has effectively been 'conditioned'.

I've done this in the past. But, for example, if I had my TV volume on and my stereo volume on, there was considerable delay. But, when using my TVs 3.5mm output with an RCA, this disappeared. The TV has the option to use the 3.5mm as a line out and not headphone out. I don't notice any considerable sound issues, given that the source is likely a streamed source, or from the cable box. Which is likely not the most high quality of all.

Also, I didn't want to add anything that required a power source like a D/A converter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:51 am 

Update:

The new TV happens to have an optical out, so I bought a long optical cable which is now taking audio out of the TV to the DAC. The benefit of this is that cable box, blu-ray AND XBox (fwiw) are all running through the stereo. The sound quality is good - quite possibly better than when I was just running the analog outs to the my integrated amp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:14 pm 

I just bought one of these to use as an external DAC ( via S/PDIF coax ) with a PURE i-20 and an iPod Touch.

It's a step way above the i-20's built-in DAC. In fact it lets me hear the difference between a hundred-dollar coax cable and a 500-dollar one. Gee, I should never have put in the expensive one. :(

pomme de terre wrote:
Another inexpensive DAC option is the Fiio D3 ($35 from Amazon), which converts optical or coaxial to RCA line level out.
https://www.amazon.ca/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/

Reviews are good...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:27 pm 

Esto99 wrote:
It could have a 3.5 mm audio out that can be connected with a 3.5mm to rca cable to your preamp. My Samsung works that way.

Yup that's what mine has also .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:41 pm 

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm facing a similar issue and was hoping a second or third set of eyes on the subject might help me out a bit.

I have a TV that currently uses two sources for audio data - a Shaw cable box and Apple TV (4th gen) - each connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV has a single option for audio out - Optical digital (see image below).

Attachment:
File comment: TV audio out
TV optical audio out.jpg
TV optical audio out.jpg [ 178.88 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

My ultimate goal is to listen to either source on a pair of active Scandyna Smallpod speakers that has a single 3.5 mm aux jack as an input, using the TV optical digital out (see image below).

Attachment:
File comment: Smallpod Audio In
smallpod back connectors.jpg
smallpod back connectors.jpg [ 105.36 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

Before investing in connectors, I want to verify a few things.

1. Will the TV optical audio out automatically output a signal from either input source (cable box or Apple TV) when it is selected on the TV as my source?

2. Am I pretty much relegated to using a device like the Fiio D3 posted earlier in the thread to convert the optical signal to line-out?

3. What is the likelihood of an interruption in signal along the full path? e.g. Netflix > Apple TV (HDMI out) > TV (HDMI in) > TV (Optical Out) > Fiio D3 (Optical In) > Fiio D3 (Line out) > Scandyna Smallpod (Aux In)?

Long story short, I need to convert optical output to 3.5 mm aux in. :D