Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:52 pm 

I'm hanging on to an old school setup for movie audio: RCA outs from TV to stereo integrated amp. This generally works fine, especially with the DVD player that has ONLY an HDMI out.

The looming problem is that I'll be needed a new TV shortly and I'm noticing that most (all?) new TVs do not have audio outs. Without getting an HT receiver with HDMI inputs, what are my options?

Is there an easy solution here?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:02 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Most of them still have optical out instead of analog RCA out.
Grab a tv with optical out, and a cheap DAC and you will be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:05 pm 
Premium User

Check on Amazon or eBay for HDMI to RCA converters or cables. From $6 to $40.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm 

If your getting your signal through a box...it should have rca outs...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:22 pm 

It could have a 3.5 mm audio out that can be connected with a 3.5mm to rca cable to your preamp. My Samsung works that way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:27 pm 

Lambic wrote:
I'm hanging on to an old school setup for movie audio: RCA outs from TV to stereo integrated amp. This generally works fine, especially with the DVD player that has ONLY an HDMI out.

The looming problem is that I'll be needed a new TV shortly and I'm noticing that most (all?) new TVs do not have audio outs. Without getting an HT receiver with HDMI inputs, what are my options?

I think I have a HDMI to RCA converter at home I'm not using. I'll look when I get home. Quite inexpensive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:59 pm 

My teevee has line out, headphone out, and optical. I got a dac for $7.53 incl on ebay and it sound better than the line out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 pm 

Schitt audio makes some very nice dacs, one of which I use for the very same issue. Digital out to Schiit, rca out to my old school sony surround. T

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:45 am 

Thanks guys. Lots of options.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 pm 

To add some insight here I recently bought two TVs... No RCA output on either. One was a Sony, with many more options than my other TV... A Toshiba 4K.

But, both have the option of 1/8" headphone output that doubles on both TVs as an analog output that have line level out (not controllable by the remote control) and you can have the option to use the built in TV speaker or not use them. It's a great option, and I am using it on both TV sets, as I don't have the desire to go to a dedicated HT setup with all this HDMI and digital stuff, when I am satisfied with just a decent two channel setup with multipurpose capability. CD Player, Turntable, AM/FM/SXM, TV and everything that's plugged into it (multimedia box, BD player, Chromecast and cable) If you think about it, you are getting the absolute most out of an amp with a limited number of inputs by eliminating the need for BD, streaming box etc being hooked directly to your amp.

Just my thoughts, as I was very happy to do this. My old Tv (a smaller RCA LCD) had no stereo output, so I was left to hook up my cable box and media streamer directly to the amp, eating up 2 places, and I couldn't really watch BD or Chromecast using the stereo this way... Which was unfortunate.

Is it the most ideal in terms of sound quality or fidelity? Perhaps not, as I assume the TV is processing it to some degree with a DAC considering everything is plugged into the TV via HDMI. But, by and large, everything sounds good. I'm not hearing any superfluous noise, and aside from it not being 5.1 or what have you, it sounds infinitely better than any of my friends 5.1 or 7.1 setups using tiny satellites and a cheap subwoofer.

I would like to have a dedicated HT setup, using proper HT receiver and decent speakers. But, not until I move to a bigger house and have a room that can accomodate this. It may not happen soon. But, I think I would like to have a nice HT setup in the future.

I hope this is helpful! I realize not all new TVs have these options, but I was surprised that even the cheaper Toshiba had it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:49 pm 

Ive always used the HDMI from the cable box and blu ray to the tv. But for audio I always use the analog rca outs on the cable box. Sounds way better than the dig out in my comparisons. Blu ray I use coax out to my d-a.
Ive even gone so far as to run the analog outs from the cable box into a a-d then back into my high end d-a. This is a significant performance upgrade as the sound now has much more of everything I like. It has effectively been 'conditioned'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 pm 

Lambic wrote:

You can buy used old school surround receivers without HDMI for $50. Using the optical output which has been mentioned here will give you 2 channel or 5.1 audio from TV source. This is a relatively painless way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:18 pm 

I use one of these:

http://www.dx.com/p/optical-toslink-coa ... I6hb_krLIU

Took about a week to my mailbox. Works fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 pm 

I use the toslink out of my cable box into a DAC..sounds better than the cable box's or tv's analog out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm 

Another inexpensive DAC option is the Fiio D3 ($35 from Amazon), which converts optical or coaxial to RCA line level out.
https://www.amazon.ca/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/

Reviews are good, Fiio is a fairly reputable brand in the head-fi world, and it uses a Wolfson WM8805. It does 24/192, but keep in mind you will have to set your TV digital output to PCM (does not support Dolby). I'm picking one up myself to use with the TV (optical out), where I don't really care about critical listening.