Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:22 pm 

I have a pair of totem tribe speakers ,i want to mount on a stand since i live in an apartment and its better if i don't drill on the wall. I know there are stands by totem but i find them too big since these are made to accommodate tribe 5, they are also expensive and with glass areas.

any suggestions ?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:21 pm 

Unless you are handy with wood working there aren't many other options.

Maybe ask someone who is skilled at making furniture at a reasonable price. That would be my first route if ruling out the stands from Totem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:03 am 

Thanks; do you guys think i could use musical instrument stands? Like guitar or clarinete usin the port on the speaker as holder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:12 pm 

I doubt it. I'd drill the wall...I've done it many times. Since landlords usually paint between tenants, you just need to fill em in before you vacate :)
b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:35 pm 
Premium User

mantisory wrote:
I doubt it. I'd drill the wall...I've done it many times. Since landlords usually paint between tenants, you just need to fill em in before you vacate :)
b

If these stands are the ones Totem themselves make and sell, they are still a bit tippy/wobbly and not the best idea for something that high and narrow (and expensive), especially if you have children, pets or cleaning ladies around. At that height and weight, tipping and falling over = destroyed speaker (seen it happen person). Anything but a solidly supported and braced speaker, made specifically to be secured to a wall, also results in serious sound deterioration and blurring. Musical instrument stands are meant for temporary support of a musical instrument, not to be used when playing said instrument

Totem Tribes are made to be secured to a wall. Period. So are wall mounted TVs. Landlords have no problems with wall mounting TVs, neither do they with wall mounting speakers as long as you patch the holes before you leave.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:34 pm 

should i use bare wire for the connections? since the speaker sets flush to the wall.
is speaker wire needed to go in-wall? for the same reason , no room to run the wire between the speajer cabinet and the wall?

any idea how much an installer would charge for install these pair ?
thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm 
Premium User

You can use bare wire, banana or spade connectors for your connections (the terminals are both recessed and angled for his purpose).

Attachment:
untitled.png
untitled.png [ 413.92 KiB | Viewed 1825 times ]

If you want to run the wires in-wall, you will need in-wall rated speaker wiring (very few fancy cables are rated or approved for in-wall use).

Assuming you know how to use a ruler, a level, a drill and a screwdriver, installation of the wall brackets and speakers should take the verage teenager no more than 10 minutes per speaker. Start by determining where you wan to mount the speakers, tape the paper template in the owners' manual to the wall, drill 4 to 6 holes, screw in the wall anchors (plastic or metal), screw the wall plates into the wall anchors and attach the speaker to the wall mount. Repeat the same steps for the other speaker.

Attachment:
File comment: Wall anchor
21855511.jpg
21855511.jpg [ 23.57 KiB | Viewed 1825 times ]

When leaving, reverse the steps and you simply unscrew the wall anchors, then using a putty knife and wall patch spackling compound, patch the holes. It is fairly easy for even a first timer to do an almost invisible job on a white wall.

Attachment:
File comment: Spackling compound
0491033_L.jpg
0491033_L.jpg [ 234.96 KiB | Viewed 1825 times ]

Or you can pay a pro or handyman to do this for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:30 am 

I wouldn't bother running the wire in the wall, just run the wire to the speakers and perhaps you can use a wire cover...you can find them at Lowes, Rona or whatever...
B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:17 pm 

You can use flat speaker and it will work, I've seen it. You should be mindful that it doesn't skew the speaker a bit in relation to the wall.

Better approach is cut a small trough in the drywall to allow the speaker cable to go from the inset box on the speaker to out below the speaker along the outside of the wall.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 pm 
Premium User

djmuisik wrote:
You can use flat speaker and it will work, I've seen it. You should be mindful that it doesn't skew the speaker a bit in relation to the wall.

Better approach is cut a small trough in the drywall to allow the speaker cable to go from the inset box on the speaker to out below the speaker along the outside of the wall.

Why cut into the drywall? There is already a groove cut into the speaker to allow the wire to run (see photo in previous post). As long as the wire is not thicker than the mounting bracket (read here that regular 16 to 12ga wire fits just fine but finger thick exotic wire won't).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:23 pm 

With all due respect, and I have lot for you OBI, I have a pair of tribe ones and a single Tribe
2 and there is no channel that would allow the speaker cable to exit under the speaker when the speaker is flush with the wall. I have often thought this to be a small design flaw…

The channel I see in the photo is, in my experience, where the mounting plate couples itself to the speaker.

Perhaps the tribe 3's are different?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:00 pm 
Premium User

djmuisik wrote:
With all due respect, and I have lot for you OBI, I have a pair of tribe ones and a single Tribe
2 and there is no channel that would allow the speaker cable to exit under the speaker when the speaker is flush with the wall. I have often thought this to be a small design flaw…

The channel I see in the photo is, in my experience, where the mounting plate couples itself to the speaker.

Perhaps the tribe 3's are different?

The 3 pairs of Tribes I have helped install all used the wall mount brackets and regular unbranded 16ga wire which was run flat behind the speakers using that groove to clear the wire past the mounting bracket. I do agree that the groove is intended for the wall bracket, but it seems to work just fine for clearing that first few inches of wire past the brackets. And yes, that whole arrangement IS a design flaw, but it is easy enough to work around.

BTW, thicker speaker wires are really a problem (the 12ga Axiom rubber covered superstranded stuff is just way too thick to lie flat behind the speaker, and forget using even thicker stuff like MIT). Speaking of Axiom, they have this really nifty 12ga flat speaker wire you can stick to the drywall or behind the speakers to a connector block and run any exotic speaker wire from there to your system.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:11 am 

Thank you all , for all the input . I had the speakers wall mounted ; i am very happy with the result , the sound is very disperse , floats around, i had them very close to the floor. Laying on its side. Here i share an image

Attachments:
File comment: Totem tribe 3
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG [ 150.23 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:21 am 

That looks great!

I have a longer term plan of moving my 60 plasma upstairs and finally leveraging the outlets and conduits I put in the basement ceiling years ago...

Your screen looks great, and glad your wall mounted Totems are doing a good job for you.

Mark in Burlington