Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speaker pop from amp.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:58 am 

Hi folks, hoping someone can help. I have a 7.1.4 set up using a pioneer sc95 and an external amp. I recently changed amps from a rotel rb985mk2 to an arcam p1000. Heres my problem, when the arcam powers on I get a low level pop from the speakers, (this did not happen with the rotel). My biggest concern, can this damage the speakers? Is it possible to eliminate this? The manual says to power up the preamp first, which I do, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've checked all connections, (using blue jeans interconnects). I can live with this if it's unlikely to do any damage, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:08 am 

Leave the amp on at all times. My opinion is it is less wear on a solid state when things are not constantly being heated and cooled. It also sounds better when warm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:53 am 

Is the amp new to you or was it used by you previously, and is this a new reaction, or just unnoticed previously? The service manual is readily available on line, and it has a description of what the indicator LEDs Sequence should look like on start up. The 2 second built in delay should eliminate the charge up bump. As the LEDs go through some color change at start up, read the section, and check your actual start up against the action to see if it matches. does the bump come during the 2 second delay or after? Does it happen when the pre is disconnected? Isolation of the sequence will help the more experienced authors here help you. Google certainly has a lot of positive stories on this amp, and not a lot of service problems.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:53 am 
Premium User

Willybilson, to your specific question about the pop being damaging to the speaker or not, the answer depends on just how much excursion the woofers move through when the pop happens and how loud it is. If they move more than they do playing loud bass music, then I might be worried, but if the excursion is considerably smaller, then it is probably not unduly straining the drivers and I would not be worried. While you are looking at the woofer excursion during this thump/pop, check to make sure that it is a sudden event and that it is not accompanied by a visibly slow back and forth movement of the woofer cone. As long as it is not pure DC, for which you would need to check the amp's DC offset, think of it as just another type of waveform.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:56 pm 

Thanks guys. The amp is new to me, the leds cycle as they should upon power up. Probably should have used the word thump not pop, it's not loud at all. I will check the woofer movement as per suggestion. The manual mentions dc offset and the front leds will blink in a certain pattern should this situation arise. Is leaving the amp on a viable option? Is there any detrimental effect on the amp? What about my electrical bill?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:52 pm 
Premium User

Looking t the circuit diagram for your Arcan power amp, it should have absolutely no turn-on thump. A turn-on thump could indicate either a bad resistor or diode in th turn-on protection circuit (as outlined in the Service Manual). Operating the amp 24/7 will cause power consumption in the order of a couple of hundred watts at all times, using it in standby mode from the front panel switch should only use 2W. Having the amp switched on 24/7 will also wear down the power supply and some of the other on-board electrolytic capacitors and shorten their lifespan.

One question for you: are you using the amp with the 12V trigger or the front panel standby power switch or the rear panel maim power switch?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:39 am 

+1 to leaving the amp on all the time, imho.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:33 am 

In the OP's case, leaving the amp on is a band-aid solution to what may be a real problem (as mentioned by Obi).
If it were me, regardless of whether I normally leave gear on, I would be getting taking it to a tech..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:25 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Looking t the circuit diagram for your Arcan power amp, it should have absolutely no turn-on thump. A turn-on thump could indicate either a bad resistor or diode in th turn-on protection circuit (as outlined in the Service Manual). Operating the amp 24/7 will cause power consumption in the order of a couple of hundred watts at all times, using it in standby mode from the front panel switch should only use 2W. Having the amp switched on 24/7 will also wear down the power supply and some of the other on-board electrolytic capacitors and shorten their lifespa

One question for you: are you using the amp with the 12V trigger or the front panel standby power switch or the rear panel maim power switch?

I am using the 12 volt trigger, I tried it with and without the trigger, didn't seem to make a difference. I watched closely for woofer excursion and couldn't detect any movement so I guess speaker damage may not be too big a concern at this point. I did notice 2 things this morning, the thump seems to come from the center and front right speakers, nothing from the left front. Once the amp goes into standby about 2-3 seconds later I get a thump from the left side speaker. Probably needs a trip to the shop,problem is things "work just fine" at the shop. I will double/triple check all connections first. I agree with the band aid comment. Thanks for the ideas, suggestions and comments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:30 pm 

I agree leaving it on is unwise, if it has a problem ( to determined), if a weak link gave way unattended, you may not like an acryd smell at 3:00 AM. Resistors and transistors stink in self destruct mode. Yes it can happen right in front of you, but why force it. To this point if it was 24/7 by the former owner, potentially a surge got part way through and caused some damage. It does sound like a relay is staying engaged. Or mute circuit is needing attention.
I didn't take note if the unit has a speaker selector AB, until you decide to have it checked, power up with no speakers engaged. If it's not AB, get it checked first.