Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:09 pm 

I finally have my Onkyo Integra DTR 40.3 working. Sort of.
Watching TV, using HDMI, I'm getting audio drop outs. They last just a few seconds, quite frequent.The picture is stable and clear at all times. It occurs on all stations.
I've tried swapping HDMI cables but that made no difference.
It is also difficult to get the TV and the AVR to "meet up".
The picture comes on but no audio. Multiple on/off attempts usually gets things working.
Just a few minutes ago I changed inputs on the TV and AVR and it's been stable.
Any ideas as to what is happening here?
I've been tempted to deep six the thing but it turns out I like surround sound for telly and movies.
I just watched Captain American: Civil War. Big, loud, noisy and if you can buy into the whole super hero thing, a damn good movie.
Surround sound really made a positive difference. I'm hating myself for liking it (surround sound, not Captain America).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 am 

It's probably the know. Problem older Onkyo and Integra units have had with the hdmi board

I have the top flight Integra pre pro and after 3 yea s the board went I contacted Integra and they shipped me a box with prepaid shipping and turned the repair over in two weeks free of charge.

The Integras are great units apart from this issue and worth the hassle of the free repair

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:22 am 

I just got the thing back and it took ages. It seems to work OK if I don't turn it off. Last night I turned off the TV and muted the Integra and things worked good this morning, no drop outs whatsoever.
I'd agree that the Integra is a good unit but Onkyo's quality control is very suspect at best.
Fingers crossed, it's working fine, I just hope it stays that way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:39 am 

Yes, I recommend you leave it on once it locks a signal. Indeed, your HDMI board is slowly failing. It might also be a good idea to add a fan to help the receiver dissipate heat better. Onkyos and Integras are really prone to those HDMI board issues. I still have three receivers and a Pre-pro from Integra at home (should think about selling a few...) and have had quite a few others in the past, and I have had to change 2 boards so far even though my receivers are on top of a table, not inside a cabinet. At least they have recognized they have a problem and if you email them, you might succeed in getting a free replacement! Best of luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:55 am 

vincelab wrote:
Yes, I recommend you leave it on once it locks a signal. Indeed, your HDMI board is slowly failing. It might also be a good idea to add a fan to help the receiver dissipate heat better. Onkyos and Integras are really prone to those HDMI board issues. I still have three receivers and a Pre-pro from Integra at home (should think about selling a few...) and have had quite a few others in the past, and I have had to change 2 boards so far even though my receivers are on top of a table, not inside a cabinet. At least they have recognized they have a problem and if you email them, you might succeed in getting a free replacement! Best of luck!!

The Integra was in for the free repair. For about two weeks or so everything was good then the dropouts started.
Mine sits on top of a table as well, I haven't tried a fan on it though.
Onkyo really made me jump through hoops to get it fixed, this is the second time for it.
If it goes again, it'll wind up as an expensive paper weight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:45 am 

Wow, and they couldn't fix it properly?!? That is quite odd! Have you tried the factory reset (which is a pain in the ... as you will lose all your settings)? It has helped me in the past. You could also try with different cables. Still, yes indeed, a very expensive paperweight! The store that repairs them here installs a fan on top of the case, right above the HDMI board. It is a tad annoying, as you always hear the fan spin, but at least it holds! Many years after the repair, my 80.1 still works like a charm! Still, those HDMI board problems ended up convincing me to try something different. I now use an older, higher end pre-pro that doesn't even have HDMI ins and outs and that part is taken care of by either my Oppo or Cambridge CXU. I am a happy camper with that new setup and I guess I will soon put a lot of stuff for sale!! Do try to add a fan, but if you are still experiencing problems, don't hesitate to contact them again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 am 

As a work around. .what about using the toslink for audio? It won't cause any degradation of signal for TV sound.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:02 am 

Mr.Hi-Fi wrote:
As a work around. .what about using the toslink for audio? It won't cause any degradation of signal for TV sound.

The thing with this solution is once the HDMI board fails, you get no sound at all from the receiver, even though you wish to use it only for audio using the analog inputs. It couldn't even be used as an integrated amp. It only becomes a very expensive and heavy paper weight! :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 am 

vincelab wrote:
Wow, and they couldn't fix it properly?!? That is quite odd! Have you tried the factory reset (which is a pain in the ... as you will lose all your settings)? It has helped me in the past. You could also try with different cables. Still, yes indeed, a very expensive paperweight! The store that repairs them here installs a fan on top of the case, right above the HDMI board. It is a tad annoying, as you always hear the fan spin, but at least it holds! Many years after the repair, my 80.1 still works like a charm! Still, those HDMI board problems ended up convincing me to try something different. I now use an older, higher end pre-pro that doesn't even have HDMI ins and outs and that part is taken care of by either my Oppo or Cambridge CXU. I am a happy camper with that new setup and I guess I will soon put a lot of stuff for sale!! Do try to add a fan, but if you are still experiencing problems, don't hesitate to contact them again.

I have a long sordid history with AV gear, check back on threads about Denon. It's a sad, funny, horrific , tale of the worst customer service ever.
The Integra, I have done a factory rest, I have tried different cables, even tried locking HDMI cables.
My theory on AV gear in general is to buy the cheapest unit that does what you need it to. When it breaks, odds are it will be HDMI related, give it to a kid or donate it and get another one.Repeat as necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 am 

I can fully understand your frustration! If you wish for the best possible customer service, I recommend you to look for Rotel. They are really well built, reliable and if ou email them, you get a reply within minutes. This is by far the best I have seen in customer service. They really care! Then again, I would like to recommend you to take a similar route to the one I took a few months ago. I will never look back and have never been happier with both sound and picture quality. The prepros I currently use here are the Krell HTS-7.1, the Lexicon MC-12 and the Integra DHC-80.3(which I should sell back because it doesn't compare to the other two in terms of sound quality). For the same price, you get way more quality! Use an Oppo or Cambridge BR player with HDMI inputs and you will be very happy! Analog 7.1 is absolutely great for audio! No more HDMI board issue either!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 am 

I'm not that much of an AV guy. I like a receiver mainly for the surround effects. I use an older Oppo Blu-Ray player (BDP-80 I think) Tannoy MxR speakers all around (5.1) B&W ASW 610 sub and a Panasonic plasma screen.
Not bad, not great stuff. Good enough for my interests.
If I could get a reliable AVR I'd leave well enough alone.
Music is kept totally separate from AV gear.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:52 am 

Nice little setup! I too have always preferred to keep them separate, by using a stereo preamp that has an HT bypass. The next hard thing is finding gear that suits your room, your listening taste and that matches the rest of your equipment. I was blown away after hearing the Krell HTS-7.1 in stereo. It convinced me to sell my beloved Conrad Johnson combo for the living for setup. I am happier (for God knows how long), and I saved money in the process. Happy camper! Wife finds it way too complicated though but eh! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:37 am 

I have an older, non HDMI, Integra DTR 5.1. It sounded truly great in two channel mode. I really liked it. One day, I got up. No sound. Everything powers on, and looks like it would work. But, not getting sound. Was told it could be an OpAmp, But the tech said it'd be almost as much as a new amp to fix it. Given that I was only using 2 channel, a 2 ch integrated was about the same price.

Now thinking about it. I'd like to get the amp running. As it's been sitting for several years now. And this sparked my interest in fixing it. Anybody know if Onkyo has schematics for these older ones from the early 2000s?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 am 

The Integra finally bit the dust (mentioned it in the Another One Bites the Dust Thread). My plan was to give it to my nephew but he really doesn't want it. Girls and fishing are more important.
Anyway, I'm pretty much convinced that if I get the receiver repaired its only a matter of time until it happens again.
I found authorized repair shop not too far away. They can replace the HDMI board but it will be the same as the one that failed. Then the cycle starts over again.
If I understand things correctly (and it's highly possible I don't) it's the capacitors that keep failing. Would it be reasonable to ask and see if they can substitute better capacitors. Higher voltage, higher temperature, better brand?
What exactly would I ask for?
The Integra is a 1K unit so spending a little to get it working doesn't seem like a bad idea. I just don't want to do it every six months.
In the alternative, the town has been demolishing our street for the past three months, I'm sure it would be no problem to chuck it under a bulldozer and have a back hoe bury the thing. Deep. Really deep.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:46 am 

Contact Integra and give them the serial number and model of your receiver. I did it a few months ago with a 20.3 and they finally agreed to fix it free of charge. There is a store that sells and repairs them about 20 minutes away from my house. What they do is add a fan on top of the receiver. It sure looks dumb and is somewhat annoying because it is always on, yet two years after the repair, my 80.1 is still rock solid. I still have 3 Integra receivers and a processor here. I should really think about getting rid of them... I don't think I ever will buy another because of the HDMI issues and must say I am extremely happy with the path I chose to take using older processors without HDMI, along with the Cambridge CXU/Oppo 105D.