Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Downsize my HT
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:02 am 

I've decided to remove my barely used HT from my dedicated 2CH room and down size to another room.I have an OPPO 103d,Older Panny PT1000 projector (still produces a nice picture),Anthem MRX310,Cary Audio Cinema 5 amp :)....and perhaps 2 Vandersteen VSM1 surrounds and the VCC1 centre channel,Vandy V2w subwoof to work with.

The new room will have to sway more to the kid friendly as it doubles as a grand kids play room.It is rectangular and I will be viewing on the short wall of 10' 9"..Unfortunately the sofa isn't centered in the room and is only 28 inches off of the left hand side wall and many feet to the right hand side.With such a short distance the sofa is also against the back wall not really an optimal position..I plan to ceiling mount my Panny projector since it is short throw I could get a 80-84 inch screen size.Viewing distance will be 9 ft.I have found that I can hide most of my gear from little hands.

Options are sell the Cary Audio Cinema 5 to finance what probably will be "life style" speakers...I know the Cary Audio will kill the amps in the Anthem receiver but will it really make a difference in that small a space.
OR I can try to make my Vandy VSM1's (wall mount) surrounds work as front speakers and will have a matching VCC centre but still need rear surrounds...

What I will need is speakers that are on the compact size and the fronts have to be wall mounted with kids in the room.I really like the idea of the protective metal speaker grills.I have looked at some of the well reviewed lifestyle speakers such as the Martin logan Motion 4,Paradigm Millenia1,Golden EAR super cinema 3.They do sound appealing on paper.

What rear surrounds do I need for the rear wall as my sofa is right against it?Also left wall is tight 28 inches to sofa while the right side is 7 ft. away from the nearest wall?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Downsize my HT
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:58 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Whatever you do, keep the Cary. It will still sound superior than anything else you're considering IMHO, even in the smaller space.
For rear speakers, use the same wall mounted ones you intend to use for the front, so that all 4 speakers are the same.
Get another pair of Vancy's for the rear, and you're done!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:10 pm 

cableguy wrote:
Whatever you do, keep the Cary. It will still sound superior than anything else you're considering IMHO, even in the smaller space.
For rear speakers, use the same wall mounted ones you intend to use for the front, so that all 4 speakers are the same.
Get another pair of Vancy's for the rear, and you're done!

So far I have found my local audio stores rather unhelpful.I've never gelled with both of them for various reasons.I hear what you're saying about the cary and it is a fine 5 CH amp just I was hoping to use it to finance the speakers.So far I've listened to some focal pod "lifestyle" system at $2k not properly set up with the tiny boomy sub...Then a pair of Totem tribe in wall speakers at $2k for just two fronts.The Totems had way more fidelity going on but will ultimately add up too much..

I think I'll buy a roll of cheap wire and do at test run using the VSM1's as fronts a long with the Vandy centre.Already have the Vandy sub as well.The only problem being the seating position right on the back wall and how close the one side wall is for placement.I would assume dipoles placed high on the rear wall would be the best solution for the rears.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:39 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

You're right about the dipoles, and depending on how rear channel intensive your listening habits are, you could get a non-Vandersteen product and still be pleased with the results.

If you sold the Cary to finance a new system, you'd be taking a step backward IMHO.

Check these out from Angstrom: http://www.angstromloudspeakers.com/det ... _cat_id=77

Since they are based in Pickering, there should be a dealer close to you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:56 pm 

Yes the Cary is a great amp, came very close to buying one once, but to be honest in my opinion in that room and for the type of use and duty the system in that room will be called upon to perform the Cary is overkill. Also as you know for a home theater receiver the Anthem is no slouch. I think using the proceeds of the sale of the Cary to fund other pieces is a sound decision and the Cary amp should be relatively easy to sell if priced correctly. I would really try to find a used pair of the Vandersteen on walls for the rears.

Last edited by good sound on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:01 pm 

I am happy with my all Paradigm on wall HT setup for movies.

I use 3 Cinema 330's across the front and 2 bipolar ADP-190's as the rears.

The 330's were used. The ADP's NIB. All purchased here on CAM.

Could you ceiling mount your rears? In a past setup I used ceiling mounted car audio speakers as my surrounds.

Agree that your pre and amp are long time keepers.

I also once used Energy ACT 6 speakers for my main floor HT. They were kid proof (metal grills), but small. I now use a Def Tech sound bar in that room. You may consider a sound bar for your install with the Vandy surrounds.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:48 am 

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, might try firing off the ceiling for the rears....I found this video to be a good reeducation of surround speakers...All the Audioholics HT videos are good....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaZNS3R3H8

I'll be trying to see what the VSM1's can pull off as front channels and take it from there..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:45 pm 

Well I did a test run with the Vandy VSM1's and the matching VCC1 centre and it worked out really well.Not properly calibrated yet but set up with a SPL meter..Sounds great in the near field,great clarity and dynamics, yet it still has that Vandy holographic smoothness...Should be killer once I fire up the V2w...Looks like I'm keeping almost everything including the Cary Cinema 5 :lol:.Time to down size the screen...

I bet I could down fire some VSM1's off the ceiling for the perfect match...I'm getting excited when will the new Bridget jones diary hit blu ray.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:57 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

:mrgreen: