Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
good sound wrote:
I tethered the laptop to my phone via Wi-Fi hotspot. Incidentally once the static IP was assigned to the laptop I lost the ability to use a browser on the laptop. There was still a connection, but no websites could be reached. How would bringing a router help/work? I have a spare router I am not using, but with no internet how would this work?

For internet browsing you need both static IP and default gateway.
the defualt gateway is the address of the router (probably the cell phones ip address).

If you want to tether to the phone and use a static IP you need to first tether to the phone using DHCP for addressing (not static).
Then keep note of the ip address, the default gateway and the DNS address's
(on the pc open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all)

Then when you assign a static IP make sure you use the same Gateway and DNS address that were auto assigned under DHCP.

The static address was assigned to the laptop which was tethered to the phone being used as a hotspot, and it has to be the exact one Anthem provides in the manual. Not knowing this I assume you don't own or have ever attempted to set op ARC in direct mode.

Plus, you should have noticed that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that I already performed ARC set- up successfully on this system previously with the same laptop and phone. I thought I set up everything exactly the same this time, but obviously there is some setting or small detail I overlooked. I just can't figure out what.

I am still waiting for a previous poster to explain to me how I am supposed to use a router in this situation when there is no internet connection in the home. Can I tether the router to my phone?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:19 am 

A router doesn't need a connection to the internet to serve its purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:27 am 

Here are a few suggestions....
1- Ensure that you have the latest Firmware update on the Anthem receiver? Check the Anthem website. Even if you do, rerun the latest FW update to ensure it is installed ok on the receiver.
2- Check to make sure that Windows firewall is disabled on the laptop. You may also want to disable any 3rd party Antivirus or Security apps while running this (ie: McAfee, Norton, etc...)
3- Ensure you are running ARC on the laptop with an account that has administrator rights.
4- If nothing is working contact Anthem. There have been times when they have a newer firmware update, but have not released it to the website. I have had to get one directly from support to resolve an issue before.

good sound wrote:
So I went to my friends house, laptop in tow, to perform a new ARC set-up for his new speakers. The first time I did this for him, about two months ago, I ran into some issues. My friend has no home internet connection and therefor no router and no LAN. I had to run ARC set-up in direct mode, making the Ethernet connection directly from the 510 to my laptop, and had to assign a static IP address to my laptop, which did the trick.

This time, no go. I don't understand, I did everything correctly. I checked, double checked and triple checked. His 510 is set to direct mode in the network menu, I assigned and verified the static IP address on my windows laptop and made sure I input the proper address Anthem provides for this type of connection and I still get the "unhandled exception" error when I attempt to run ARC. Spent the better part of four hours trying to trouble shoot the problem with no success. I think it's time to contact Anthem support for help, unless someone here may have some insight as to what may be the problem and a possible solution. I also had to investigate possible operational issues with my Windows 10 Dell laptop as I also got an "Anthem ARC2 Not Responding" message a couple of times when trying to launch ARC. A quick diagnostic check of the laptop didn't reveal any issues. Everything seems to be functioning normally and all drivers are up to date.

The new speakers are a big improvement even without ARC running, but my friend really wants to hear what ARC can do with this new set-ip

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:01 am 

good sound wrote:

The static address was assigned to the laptop which was tethered to the phone being used as a hotspot, and it has to be the exact one Anthem provides in the manual. Not knowing this I assume you don't own or have ever attempted to set op ARC in direct mode.

Plus, you should have noticed that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that I already performed ARC set- up successfully on this system previously with the same laptop and phone. I thought I set up everything exactly the same this time, but obviously there is some setting or small detail I overlooked. I just can't figure out what.

I am still waiting for a previous poster to explain to me how I am supposed to use a router in this situation when there is no internet connection in the home. Can I tether the router to my phone?

I was just trying to help you understand why you could not get an internet connection.
The direct mode address required with ARC will not permit you to get online as it would not provide you with the information required to leave the local network.

I am sure there is a small setting that you overlooked.