Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:11 am 

A friend of mine, on my recommendation, recently purchased an Anthem MRX-510 home theatre receiver. I set it up and performed the ARC calibration. ARC provided a significant improvement. Including the ability to quickly A/B any source with and without ARC engaged was a great move by Anthem. Now realizing that the increased performance of the Anthem will allow him to appreciate and exploit the capabilities of better loudspeakers he has just purchased new upgraded fronts and a new center channel speaker. This may seem like an obvious question, but will it be necessary to perform the ARC set-up again? The new speakers are a different brand than the previous ones, but they are of similar size, sensitivity, and frequency response and they will be positioned in basically the exact same locations. If I understand fully, ARC being room correction, flattens the in room response via DSP. If he hooks up the new speakers shouldn't the current ARC set-up perform it's task without having to be re-calibrated? Will different speakers in the same location change the in room response and therefore necessitate the need for a re-calibration of ARC?

Obviously, just to be on the safe side the prudent choice would be to re-do ARC, but I think it's still an interesting question in any event.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:17 am 

You will have to run Arc again for sure. It did it's setup based on the characteristics of the room and the previous speakers. I had to redo mine after just changing the speaker placement and you could hear the positive results. Remember any speaker will have its own unique reaction to the room ( or vise versa ). :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:18 am 

I'm interested also. I own the 710. I didn't set up ARC originally, had someone do it for me. I don't have a clue how to set up. I have made changes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:29 am 
Premium User

Ideally one should run ARC again anytime there's a meaningful change in the room including furniture or window coverings.

DSDGuy, it's not hard to do at all, you just need to download the software from ARC and run it on a Windows PC. Be sure to download the calibration file for the mic that came with your unit (the MIC has a serial number on it). The MRX-x10 series is nice as your PC will talk to the receiver automatically through your home network (assuming the receiver is connected via CAT5) so there's nothing to touch or connect on the Anthem unit itself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:56 am 

Hi,

Note to 'good sound' regarding Anthem ARC.

I am cross-posting a recent CAM thread that points to a DIY thread on blind speaker comparisons. This inevitably leads me to thoughts on DSP. Why do you think audiophiles are so resistant to tools that analyse and correct for room/speaker interactions? I mean most of us have even had to give up balance controls because of our amp choices.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... =6&t=43839

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 am 

So I went to my friends house, laptop in tow, to perform a new ARC set-up for his new speakers. The first time I did this for him, about two months ago, I ran into some issues. My friend has no home internet connection and therefor no router and no LAN. I had to run ARC set-up in direct mode, making the Ethernet connection directly from the 510 to my laptop, and had to assign a static IP address to my laptop, which did the trick.

This time, no go. I don't understand, I did everything correctly. I checked, double checked and triple checked. His 510 is set to direct mode in the network menu, I assigned and verified the static IP address on my windows laptop and made sure I input the proper address Anthem provides for this type of connection and I still get the "unhandled exception" error when I attempt to run ARC. Spent the better part of four hours trying to trouble shoot the problem with no success. I think it's time to contact Anthem support for help, unless someone here may have some insight as to what may be the problem and a possible solution. I also had to investigate possible operational issues with my Windows 10 Dell laptop as I also got an "Anthem ARC2 Not Responding" message a couple of times when trying to launch ARC. A quick diagnostic check of the laptop didn't reveal any issues. Everything seems to be functioning normally and all drivers are up to date.

The new speakers are a big improvement even without ARC running, but my friend really wants to hear what ARC can do with this new set-ip

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:09 am 

Could you ping the Anthem device from your laptop ? If not, what was the message you received.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:13 am 

airdronian wrote:
Could you ping the Anthem device from your laptop ? If not, what was the message you received.

Not exactly computer illiterate, but was is pinging and how do I do that, and what is the significance of pinging in relation to this situation?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:20 am 

good sound wrote:
airdronian wrote:

Not exactly computer illiterate, but was is pinging and how do I do that, and what is the significance of pinging in relation to this situation?

Pinging is a test to see if you have a network connection to another device. Open a command prompt (win 10 - right click start button and select command prompt (admin mode) and type ping 192.168.x.x (the address of the anthem device).

If you get a response from it (measured in ms) then you have a connection. If you get time outs or address unreachable then you don't have a connection and this could be the root of your problem.

Your laptop and the Anthem need to be in the same subnet to communicate.

Last edited by airdronian on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:21 am 

I didn't use the direct option but 1 did have questions on the ARC outcome, Anthem tech was very helpful and quite prompt in returning my emails.

good sound wrote:
So I went to my friends house, laptop in tow, to perform a new ARC set-up for his new speakers. The first time I did this for him, about two months ago, I ran into some issues. My friend has no home internet connection and therefor no router and no LAN. I had to run ARC set-up in direct mode, making the Ethernet connection directly from the 510 to my laptop, and had to assign a static IP address to my laptop, which did the trick.

This time, no go. I don't understand, I did everything correctly. I checked, double checked and triple checked. His 510 is set to direct mode in the network menu, I assigned and verified the static IP address on my windows laptop and made sure I input the proper address Anthem provides for this type of connection and I still get the "unhandled exception" error when I attempt to run ARC. Spent the better part of four hours trying to trouble shoot the problem with no success. I think it's time to contact Anthem support for help, unless someone here may have some insight as to what may be the problem and a possible solution. I also had to investigate possible operational issues with my Windows 10 Dell laptop as I also got an "Anthem ARC2 Not Responding" message a couple of times when trying to launch ARC. A quick diagnostic check of the laptop didn't reveal any issues. Everything seems to be functioning normally and all drivers are up to date.

The new speakers are a big improvement even without ARC running, but my friend really wants to hear what ARC can do with this new set-ip

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rega RP6/Dyna 10x5/Schiit Mani

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:30 am 

airdronian wrote:
good sound wrote:
airdronian wrote:

Pinging is a test to see if you have a network connection to another device. Open a command prompt (win 10 - right click start button and select command prompt (admin mode) and type ping 192.168.x.x (the address of the anthem device).

If you get a response from it (measured in ms) then you have a connection. If you get time outs or address unreachable then you don't have a connection and this could be the root of your problem.

Your laptop and the Anthem need to be in the same subnet to communicate.

Ahh, I see. No, I didn't attempt that. I will when I return to try again.

-- 07 Sep 2016 10:36 --

bcugk wrote:
I didn't use the direct option but 1 did have questions on the ARC outcome, Anthem tech was very helpful and quite prompt in returning my emails.

That's good to know. I will definitely be contacting Anthem support. I am really hoping to be able to do it next time I go to my friends house and possibly get some live on the spot help and direction, although that might be expecting just a bit much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:34 am 

this 'unhandled exception' is happening on your laptop correct?

Was it the same laptop used last time?

Start up a VM and put windows 7 on it, see if ARC runs there, your problem will most likely be solved. If not you can set up a quick network by bringing a router. Its baffling in this day and age someone wouldn't have interwebs unless they're heavily paranoid and do 'work' outside of home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:53 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
this 'unhandled exception' is happening on your laptop correct?

Was it the same laptop used last time?

Start up a VM and put windows 7 on it, see if ARC runs there, your problem will most likely be solved. If not you can set up a quick network by bringing a router. Its baffling in this day and age someone wouldn't have interwebs unless they're heavily paranoid and do 'work' outside of home.

Yes, same laptop, same OS. The owner of the 510 is a little older and as far from a technical person as you will ever find. He has never owned a computer, so why would he need the internet? Don't know what a VM is, but don't feel like going through the not inconsiderable hassle of installing a second OS onto my daughters laptop. I tethered the laptop to my phone via Wi-Fi hotspot. Incidentally once the static IP was assigned to the laptop I lost the ability to use a browser on the laptop. There was still a connection, but no websites could be reached. How would bringing a router help/work? I have a spare router I am not using, but with no internet how would this work?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:05 pm 

good sound wrote:
I tethered the laptop to my phone via Wi-Fi hotspot. Incidentally once the static IP was assigned to the laptop I lost the ability to use a browser on the laptop. There was still a connection, but no websites could be reached. How would bringing a router help/work? I have a spare router I am not using, but with no internet how would this work?

For internet browsing you need both static IP and default gateway.
the defualt gateway is the address of the router (probably the cell phones ip address).

If you want to tether to the phone and use a static IP you need to first tether to the phone using DHCP for addressing (not static).
Then keep note of the ip address, the default gateway and the DNS address's
(on the pc open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all)

Then when you assign a static IP make sure you use the same Gateway and DNS address that were auto assigned under DHCP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:25 pm 

I'm the owner of a new MRX 720 receiver. It took me a while to run Anthem Room Correction properly because I couldn't get the wireless connection to work. So I bought a long Ethernet cable and connected the Anthem receiver to my router that way. ARC has made a substantial difference in clarity, which is leading me to rediscover all kinds of music I haven't played in months or years.

To answer your question, yes you should run ARC again after changing any of your speakers.

The one aspect of the receiver I haven't figured out is how to set the inputs. I believe four options are available, but the manual isn't very explanatory. Any help from Anthem users would be appreciated.