Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Receiver advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm 

Hi guys,

Looking for a little advice on a Surround Sound Receiver, the selection these days is overwhelming!

A little background:

I plan to use this as both my home theater, and my main stereo.
Looking for 5.1 and 2.1
Inputs will be: Plex Media Server (5.1), Chromecast (netflix), Rotel CD Player, Phono, Tuner, and sometimes iPhone (horrible, I know!)
Fronts - Pulse Audio Speakers (Toronto) powered by Sima 2002 Amp
Rears - Toshiba Speakers powered by Nakamichi 420 Amp
Center - Unsure, possibly powered by receiver
Subs - 2x Custom Dynaudios powered by Adcom 585
Need HDMI for Video Inputs

Sound quality is obviously very important, needs to have a good D/A converter. Something older and used is preferable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Need Receiver advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:10 pm 

You have already had power amplifiers for your speakers (except for the center channel) why not shop for a pre-pro? Unless you need 4K video w/ HDR and/or things like Dolby Atmos you should be able to grab a high quality, older used pre-pro w/ HDMI instead of a new receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:42 pm 

Great idea, I didn't even realize such a thing existed! I've obviously been out of the loop for a while.

Any recommendations? Looking to spend less than $1000

The only thing I've come up with so far is an Integra unit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:17 pm 

invictive wrote:
The only thing I've come up with so far is an Integra unit.

I have an Integra DHC 80.1 pre-pro. The digital video/audio inputs such as HDMI, etc. are great but the analog inputs for phono, etc. are nothing to write home about.

Can't think of anything with HDMI inputs that is around or under $1000 at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 pm 

not sure if your going to get the best of both worlds in a 5.1 set up and to use it as a 2.1 with a home theatre reciver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:15 am 

why do you want hdmi switching? there are lot s of good processor out there that sound great but don t have hdmi switching> just plug your picture (hdmi) straight to tv.
hdmi have been , and will always be their problem, there is so many different hdmi version, and many ad hdmi problem (not recognising format, no 3 d, hdmi 1.2. 1.3, 1.4 and counting), and most are not up to date,( 3d picture,atmos sound,4 K and so on) and they will always get NEWER hdmi version, that will make your processor (out of date)
that within just a few years you will say, ho no my processor don t do this new version, and end up pluging your hdmi straight to the new tv anyway. so save yourself money and let your tv set handle all the hdmi .
it is better to have older processor but good sound quality, then buying the latest version of crappy receiver that will sound like, well crap! specialy at $1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:17 am 

When I was doing 5.1 in my ht (now simplified to 2.1) which doubles as 2 ch I used an EAD Ovation surround processor and an Iscan DVDO vp50pro video switcher/processor. The EAD is not new but it is very well built and has good sound. It can also be used as a decent preamp. There is also support for it still if it ever needs repairs by Noble Electronics in the states.

I still use the vp50pro as a video switcher for my satellite dish, android tv box, oppo bdp-95 and laser disc player. It has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs as well as SDI, Component, SVHS, Composite and coax and toslink for audio. I use the component input for my Laser Disc player. The vp50pro does a lot more than switching, though. Here is a review of it that describes it's many features better than I can. The only negative I have found is that it only has one HDMI output. It would have been nice to have two, one for my projector and one for my tv.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/DVDO-iScan-VP50Pro-Video-Processor-review

If you do not have to have the very latest technology and can settle for 5.1 and 1080p, then older quality processors can be found for low prices (compared to what they cost originally). Both used units could probably be found for about $1000 today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:58 am 

If your looking for better 2 channel audio, the typical recommended brands would be Marantz, Cambridge audio, Arcam & Anthem. Though if concerned with 2 channel audio quality my recommendation is always to get an integrated with HT bypass & then a cheaper receiver for HT duty.