Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:20 pm 

Plasma is also good for heating your bedroom in the winter!

I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma that has moderate to heavy use and has zero burn in. It gets its share of static images with Tidal and Netflix and is perfectly fine. Once in a while I'll check out new sets in A\V stores and always come out thinking the Kuro is still king. There are better images out there as these sets are long in the tooth now, but I've seen jaws hit the floor in response to just how good the blacks are on these. Watching The Taking of Pelham 123 is always a treat. No warranty, but you can get them fairly cheap nowadays for what they are.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:52 am 
Premium User

I agree that plasma looks great. When I bought my WEGA, plasma was the only flat screen option (other than rear projection) and I liked the WEGA better, despite the small, 32" screen. It has taken me 12 years to replace that little tv (in fact is is going to our weekend place to replace a 36" Panasonic GAO from the early 90's) because the picture is sooo good.

I was not interested in LCD or LED tvs AT ALL. That's why I have waited so long to upgrade. But OLED is a definite upgrade. Going from 32" to 55" helps as well.

I do chuckle a bit though. Plasma fans have been top of the heap image-wise for years now but there's a new sherriff in town and his name is OLED. They will fight to stay at the top in the court of forum opinion but alas, it will be all for nought.

The king is dead! Long live the king!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:57 am 

Very nice av cabinat Tangram. Nice clean set up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:08 am 

Jimmi wrote:
I found this that suggests Samsung may be producing them in 2018. But other than that looks like LG till then.

http://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led- ... -in-2018-/

As long as Samsung doesn't let the designers of the Galaxy or Washing Machines get involved your house should be safe :D

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:12 am 
Premium User

Glenerd2 wrote:
Very nice av cabinat Tangram. Nice clean set up.

Ikea Stockholm! Sure, you have to put it together, but I have had good luckover the years with the "higher end" Ikea stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:08 am 
Premium User

Tangram wrote:
Well I have had a chance to play around with my B6 and I am a happy camper. First, it is attractive "in the flesh" (I set it up on a console instead of wall mounting). I calibrated using the recommended AVForums settings for ISF Darkroom but in fairness, the unit probably should be run in for a couple of weeks before calibrating. 4K Netflix is a real treat. The LG Web OS works well and is very responsive.

There truly isn't a better quality picture than OLED. The B6 is the bottom of the LG current OLED lineup but by all accounts there is no image quality difference across the line. The photo below doesn't do the image justice; just wanted to show how the tv looks set up. Note that this is the flat, not curved, version. The ipad camera distorts the image.

Hey any chance you've been able to watch any hockey games? Wondering how sports works on it?
Any pixel trail during fast motion?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:51 am 

Some people are discussing plasma....I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any of Samsung's new Quantum Dot televisions? There's a page on Wikipedia describing the tech behind QD; basically it's a masking layer that sits between a bog standard LCD panel and LED backlight that forms an aperture behind each pixel, opening and closing the aperture to control the brightness of the pixel. Since it's based in part on cheap, well established tech, this could conceivably beat out OLED in terms of cost and reliability without giving up much in brilliance and contrast. There's still some of the difficult organic molecules involved in it but it seems to me that controlling only one aspect of the picture (brightness) rather than 4 (RGB+brightness) would still provide greater reliability and ease of manufacturing through simplicity.

Anybody seen one or owns one and can comment? While I'm waiting for OLEDs to become more widely available before I replace my trusty Trinitron, it occurs to me that I might be buying a QDTV before then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:24 pm 

Tangram wrote:
Well I have had a chance to play around with my B6 and I am a happy camper. First, it is attractive "in the flesh" (I set it up on a console instead of wall mounting). I calibrated using the recommended AVForums settings for ISF Darkroom but in fairness, the unit probably should be run in for a couple of weeks before calibrating. 4K Netflix is a real treat. The LG Web OS works well and is very responsive.

There truly isn't a better quality picture than OLED. The B6 is the bottom of the LG current OLED lineup but by all accounts there is no image quality difference across the line. The photo below doesn't do the image justice; just wanted to show how the tv looks set up. Note that this is the flat, not curved, version. The ipad camera distorts the image.

Hey Tangram, just wanted to say "thanks" for the follow up. Nice to see that you are happy, and also to have somebody sharing "been there done that" experience.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:39 pm 
Premium User

ripblade wrote:
Some people are discussing plasma....I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any of Samsung's new Quantum Dot televisions? There's a page on Wikipedia describing the tech behind QD; basically it's a masking layer that sits between a bog standard LCD panel and LED backlight that forms an aperture behind each pixel, opening and closing the aperture to control the brightness of the pixel. Since it's based in part on cheap, well established tech, this could conceivably beat out OLED in terms of cost and reliability without giving up much in brilliance and contrast. There's still some of the difficult organic molecules involved in it but it seems to me that controlling only one aspect of the picture (brightness) rather than 4 (RGB+brightness) would still provide greater reliability and ease of manufacturing through simplicity.

Anybody seen one or owns one and can comment? While I'm waiting for OLEDs to become more widely available before I replace my trusty Trinitron, it occurs to me that I might be buying a QDTV before then.

Seen a 50" last Christmas at my local hifi store. Very nice picture!!! however it was $13,000... lol
im gonna wait a bit lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:58 pm 

Good question. I'm very interested in OLED. I remember years ago when I first heard about it, and saw the fancy Sony demonstration with a small bedside unit that had I think 13" or 11" screen. It was so thin and nice. But, was very pricey then.

Flash forward to today, and hands down OLED is the choice in LED vs. OLED. But, again, it boils down to price. The OLED's I've seen are head and shoulders above regular LED 4k sets. They say Plasma can get the good black levels, but I think OLED is the LCD solution for this. Too bad most manufacturers are only putting them in 55 or 65" TVs.

Last Christmas I bought a Sony 48" LED TV with smart features that I really loved the look of, mostly for NetFlix and Media Server capabilities. But, it is only 1080P. I'd been considering a new TV for the bedroom the past few months, and I finally looked around and BestBuy had a 43" Toshiba that is 4k, and is branded as "smart" but really only has a built in Chromecast.

Pixels truly aren't everything. I still think the larger Sony has a better picture than the Toshiba. My old bedroom set had developed some dark spots, hence the pinch to buy something to replace it. The old set was a Toshiba as well, and was a 37" or 36", I can't recall. But the speakers were excellent in it.

I'm sort of at a point now, though, after purchasing the 4K Toshiba that I tihnk the Sony has overall better picture, and most of the content I watch is 1080 and not 4K. Mostly for the lack of 4K content.

The speakers in the Sony are definitely better. And overall, it has far more comprehensive list of adjustments and enhancements. Most of which are off most of the time. But, occasionally I do like using the Sony's edge enhancer and cinema mode. Both sets are only 60hz, but motion looks better on the Sony.

I think the Toshiba suffers from quality problems, though, as at angles I can notice what appear to be lines of darker-ish lighting from uneven LED distribution, or LCD panel problems. Really, it isn't a huge problem as its directly across from the bed. But, still something that irked me. I weighed out the options of the $499 price tag on sale for 4K with cast, vs the 399 price tag of the equivalent tv with 1080 and no cast option. I figured, for 100 bucks, the 4k and cast are worth it, at least.

But, the extra pixel count means nothing if the processing can't be done to make it look as great as possible. So, it still leaves me wanting more, and I may consider bringing it back for something with a better picture. Maybe Sony makes something that would be more suitable with a better quality panel. Give it some time, and I'm sure Vizio and Westinghouse and all the second rate brands will be putting OLED panels in everything.

Anybody else in the same boat? Buying 4k for the sake of the 4k, at a sacrifice of quality picture output?
Don't get me wrong, its a definite upgrade from the dark spot old 1080i we were using before.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:14 pm 
Premium User

therealco wrote:
Good question. I'm very interested in OLED. I remember years ago when I first heard about it, and saw the fancy Sony demonstration with a small bedside unit that had I think 13" or 11" screen. It was so thin and nice. But, was very pricey then.

Flash forward to today, and hands down OLED is the choice in LED vs. OLED. But, again, it boils down to price. The OLED's I've seen are head and shoulders above regular LED 4k sets. They say Plasma can get the good black levels, but I think OLED is the LCD solution for this. Too bad most manufacturers are only putting them in 55 or 65" TVs.

Last Christmas I bought a Sony 48" LED TV with smart features that I really loved the look of, mostly for NetFlix and Media Server capabilities. But, it is only 1080P. I'd been considering a new TV for the bedroom the past few months, and I finally looked around and BestBuy had a 43" Toshiba that is 4k, and is branded as "smart" but really only has a built in Chromecast.

Pixels truly aren't everything. I still think the larger Sony has a better picture than the Toshiba. My old bedroom set had developed some dark spots, hence the pinch to buy something to replace it. The old set was a Toshiba as well, and was a 37" or 36", I can't recall. But the speakers were excellent in it.

I'm sort of at a point now, though, after purchasing the 4K Toshiba that I tihnk the Sony has overall better picture, and most of the content I watch is 1080 and not 4K. Mostly for the lack of 4K content.

The speakers in the Sony are definitely better. And overall, it has far more comprehensive list of adjustments and enhancements. Most of which are off most of the time. But, occasionally I do like using the Sony's edge enhancer and cinema mode. Both sets are only 60hz, but motion looks better on the Sony.

I think the Toshiba suffers from quality problems, though, as at angles I can notice what appear to be lines of darker-ish lighting from uneven LED distribution, or LCD panel problems. Really, it isn't a huge problem as its directly across from the bed. But, still something that irked me. I weighed out the options of the $499 price tag on sale for 4K with cast, vs the 399 price tag of the equivalent tv with 1080 and no cast option. I figured, for 100 bucks, the 4k and cast are worth it, at least.

But, the extra pixel count means nothing if the processing can't be done to make it look as great as possible. So, it still leaves me wanting more, and I may consider bringing it back for something with a better picture. Maybe Sony makes something that would be more suitable with a better quality panel. Give it some time, and I'm sure Vizio and Westinghouse and all the second rate brands will be putting OLED panels in everything.

Anybody else in the same boat? Buying 4k for the sake of the 4k, at a sacrifice of quality picture output?
Don't get me wrong, its a definite upgrade from the dark spot old 1080i we were using before.

What are you streaming to the tv in 4k?
not a lot of 4k content out there to stream yet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:25 pm 

Some Netflix shows are available in UHD, but not many! So, 4k content close to nil! Tried Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. You have to have the premium membership, or whatever they call it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:38 pm 

kawihornet wrote:
not a lot of 4k content out there to stream yet?
Maybe not, but the cameras are in place and rolling already on some broadcasts. I can see the difference even on the Trini's 480i screen. Oddly enough, it's more apparent there than on the 720p LED panel I have in the bedroom. But then, the cable co's conversion to digital was apparent on the Trini even before they started offering digital reception years ago.

As with audio, the subtleties of hue are more apparent in analogue than they are in digital, even in relatively low rez.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:03 pm 

Yeah, I mean, 4k or not, cable companies as well as streaming are highly compressed anyway. So, even using a 4k source like that, it isn't going to be the best a 4K tv can show. But, UHD BD should be excellent, and downloaded 4K content that is a little less compressed than TV stuff should also look nice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:13 am 
Premium User

Last week I bought a LG 65B6P 4K OLED. Previously I had what was widely reviewed as one of the best TV's ever made, the Panasonic 55VT60 plasma. It's true there isn't much 4K material to watch at this time, but the improvement in 1080p image quality alone was worth the price in my mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next