Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
electrafixion wrote:
Last week I bought a LG 65B6P 4K OLED. Previously I had what was widely reviewed as one of the best TV's ever made, the Panasonic 55VT60 plasma. It's true there isn't much 4K material to watch at this time, but the improvement in 1080p image quality alone was worth the price in my mind.


Congrats! Depending on what kind of cable bandwidth you have, Netflix 4K content can look really good. I find that you need to watch "off-peak" which would be later at night or first thing in the morning to get full 4K resolution. Watching something like Narcos in 4K can be pretty amazing. BUT, you need to play around with the settings. At first, I basically got an image that looked like videotape but after following the calibration recommendations on AVForums, it looked more film-like.

Enjoy!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 3895
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
Tangram wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
Last week I bought a LG 65B6P 4K OLED. Previously I had what was widely reviewed as one of the best TV's ever made, the Panasonic 55VT60 plasma. It's true there isn't much 4K material to watch at this time, but the improvement in 1080p image quality alone was worth the price in my mind.


Congrats! Depending on what kind of cable bandwidth you have, Netflix 4K content can look really good. I find that you need to watch "off-peak" which would be later at night or first thing in the morning to get full 4K resolution. Watching something like Narcos in 4K can be pretty amazing. BUT, you need to play around with the settings. At first, I basically got an image that looked like videotape but after following the calibration recommendations on AVForums, it looked more film-like.

Enjoy!

A question, I've seen a few 4K TV's playing 4K content and up close, nose on the display, or 3-4 feet away they look stunning but a "normal" viewing distances,8-12 feet, it seemed no better than 1080p. Has this been your experience?

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:01 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 pm
Posts: 1422
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
mahatma1 wrote:
A question, I've seen a few 4K TV's playing 4K content and up close, nose on the display, or 3-4 feet away they look stunning but a "normal" viewing distances,8-12 feet, it seemed no better than 1080p. Has this been your experience?

I'm sure it will depend on the material, but the demo 4K content available on my set top box is clearly better than anything I've seen on 1080p even across the room (12+ feet). I'm not especially concerned about 4K content right now, as the picture quality of this set is completely amazing on everything I watch; part of this could be the 4K upscaling, but a big part is simply the superior OLED technology. Personally I would not have considered trading my Panasonic Plasma for a regular 4K LED TV, the extra resolution in nice, but it can't make up for the limitations of an LED TV.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:57 pm
Posts: 125
Location: Ontario, ON, CA
Sorry, picked up on the topic late.
Without getting technical, but more from an aesthetics point of view, I think a person's choice for either a curved or flat screen is better determined by
where in the room the tv is going to be.
A curved screen would blend into the room better if it's located in a corner or in a very narrow room, while the flat screen can go anywhere but is preferred along a flat wall.
Just a personal opinion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm
Posts: 882
Location: St. John's, NL, CA
I am thoroughly jealous! I am sure at this price point, the OLED would be superior to the Plasma. But, who knows. And like others have mentioned Samsung's QDOT, which I have never experienced, but have saw adverts. Sounds cool. I went and bought a cheapish Toshiba 4K for the bedroom, and I'm happy with it for a bedroom setup, but glad I didn't get a larger version of the same panel for my living room, as I feel the Sony is superior. Regardless, I'm sure OLED is infinitely better than either of the panels I have. Enjoy your new set!!! :D :D :D :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Whitby, ON, CA
I recently purchased a higher end 55" Samsung 4K for the bedroom because I got an insanely good deal on it. Fantastic TV when looking at it directly but suffers from major colour/contrast/brightness shifts on the angles. For the price I paid and its use as a bedroom TV I am happy with it, but I wouldn't be thrilled if it was my main TV.

3 years ago I splurged and bought a Panasonic 65ZT60 when I learned that plasma would be discontinued. Even though it's "only" 1080p, it's still one of the best TVs I've seen with amazing viewing angles and a fluid quality not found in other technology IMO.

I'm hoping OLED is the future because the potential is amazing. Any issues seen today will most likely be ironed out and the prices will come down once Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic really start to push the tech.

-- 19 Oct 2016 13:56 --

ripblade wrote:
Some people are discussing plasma....I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any of Samsung's new Quantum Dot televisions? There's a page on Wikipedia describing the tech behind QD; basically it's a masking layer that sits between a bog standard LCD panel and LED backlight that forms an aperture behind each pixel, opening and closing the aperture to control the brightness of the pixel. Since it's based in part on cheap, well established tech, this could conceivably beat out OLED in terms of cost and reliability without giving up much in brilliance and contrast. There's still some of the difficult organic molecules involved in it but it seems to me that controlling only one aspect of the picture (brightness) rather than 4 (RGB+brightness) would still provide greater reliability and ease of manufacturing through simplicity.

Anybody seen one or owns one and can comment? While I'm waiting for OLEDs to become more widely available before I replace my trusty Trinitron, it occurs to me that I might be buying a QDTV before then.


My Samsung is the JS8000 series with Quantum Dot tech and, as I stated above, the TV looks great but viewing angles are horrible. Something to think about.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Markham, ON, CA
OLED prices have dropped off sharply in the 2nd half of this year. I just took the plunge on a 65" B6 for under $4k. There's still a decent delta between a good HDR LCD TV (e.g. the Samsung KS8000) and the OLED, but it's becoming easier to stomach.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 459
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
asmielia wrote:
OLED prices have dropped off sharply in the 2nd half of this year. I just took the plunge on a 65" B6 for under $4k. There's still a decent delta between a good HDR LCD TV (e.g. the Samsung KS8000) and the OLED, but it's becoming easier to stomach.

Good choice I own the b6 55 and going from a Pioneer Kuro I was a little skeptical.Once this tv is professionally tuned via expert dark room setting its sublime and a beauty to behold.Anyone reading this thread please don't listen to anyone unless they own an LG OLED.Thats all I can speak about.There the best out there right now and are the oled leaders.Just get the B6 best value as the higher models picture and panel is the exact same your paying 1K extra for a bling glass panel mount and speaker which most here don't need.The tv is superb in every way even the smart remote is slick and does everything the cable service boxes doe in a much slicker unit.If you need a TV GET THE B6

-- 28 Nov 2016 21:36 --

Tangram wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
Last week I bought a LG 65B6P 4K OLED. Previously I had what was widely reviewed as one of the best TV's ever made, the Panasonic 55VT60 plasma. It's true there isn't much 4K material to watch at this time, but the improvement in 1080p image quality alone was worth the price in my mind.
Great choice Im loving mine.Its incredible.Get it tuned in expert dark room setting by a pro calibrater you will be blown away by the difference.The settings tweaks are vital with these hi end tvs.I watched a youtube video I think its called home theatre geeks they use computers and graphic anaylizers to dial in the b6.

Congrats! Depending on what kind of cable bandwidth you have, Netflix 4K content can look really good. I find that you need to watch "off-peak" which would be later at night or first thing in the morning to get full 4K resolution. Watching something like Narcos in 4K can be pretty amazing. BUT, you need to play around with the settings. At first, I basically got an image that looked like videotape but after following the calibration recommendations on AVForums, it looked more film-like.

Enjoy!


-- 28 Nov 2016 21:38 --

greatlookinglandscapes wrote:
asmielia wrote:
OLED prices have dropped off sharply in the 2nd half of this year. I just took the plunge on a 65" B6 for under $4k. There's still a decent delta between a good HDR LCD TV (e.g. the Samsung KS8000) and the OLED, but it's becoming easier to stomach.

Good choice I own the b6 55 and going from a Pioneer Kuro I was a little skeptical.Once this tv is professionally tuned via expert dark room setting its sublime and a beauty to behold.Anyone reading this thread please don't listen to anyone unless they own an LG OLED.Thats all I can speak about.There the best out there right now and are the oled leaders.Just get the B6 best value as the higher models picture and panel is the exact same your paying 1K extra for a bling glass panel mount and speaker which most here don't need.The tv is superb in every way even the smart remote is slick and does everything the cable service boxes doe in a much slicker unit.If you need a TV GET THE B6

-- 28 Nov 2016 21:36 --

Tangram wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
Last week I bought a LG 65B6P 4K OLED. Previously I had what was widely reviewed as one of the best TV's ever made, the Panasonic 55VT60 plasma. It's true there isn't much 4K material to watch at this time, but the improvement in 1080p image quality alone was worth the price in my mind.
Great choice Im loving mine.Its incredible.Get it tuned in expert dark room setting by a pro calibrater you will be blown away by the difference.The settings tweaks are vital with these hi end tvs.I watched a youtube video I think its called home theatre geeks they use computers and graphic anaylizers to dial in the b6.

Congrats! Depending on what kind of cable bandwidth you have, Netflix 4K content can look really good. I find that you need to watch "off-peak" which would be later at night or first thing in the morning to get full 4K resolution. Watching something like Narcos in 4K can be pretty amazing. BUT, you need to play around with the settings. At first, I basically got an image that looked like videotape but after following the calibration recommendations on AVForums, it looked more film-like.

Enjoy!

True the settings made all the difference in the world with my b6


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:04 pm 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
asmielia wrote:
OLED prices have dropped off sharply in the 2nd half of this year. I just took the plunge on a 65" B6 for under $4k. There's still a decent delta between a good HDR LCD TV (e.g. the Samsung KS8000) and the OLED, but it's becoming easier to stomach.


Wow, that is a fantastic deal. The 65" must be amazing. We continue to really love the 55" but if I could have gotten into a 65" for under $4K it would have been a no brainer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:52 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 am
Posts: 1172
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
Well, at least the OLED buyers are finally understanding where the 'high end' CRT projection world was in 1998.

I was there with 20k:1 contrast ratio in a given single frame, by 1998 (this is the inherent standard that a projection CRT tube is capable of). Which is where OLED claims to be today. But we were doing it at 9-10 foot diagonally.

It was a monumental bit of rebuild and re-execute/re-think work to get there, but having one of the best systems the world was capable of realizing at that time, well, it was worth it (personally). I watched far too much video....

_________________
(Ken Hotte, of) Teo Audio


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm
Posts: 4999
Location: Dodge City, NB, CA
I've always figured that if I can see the puck, it's good enough.
I will buy a bigger one though if my 55 incher ever poops out though so that I can see the puck from farther away. :)

_________________
No matter how hard you try, you can't cure stupid.
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:43 pm
Posts: 1533
Location: *, ON, CA
Having watched many of the platforms mentioned I am seriously regretting when I will have to replace my Panasonic Viera Plasmas. I have been using Wifi streaming boxes for my source for 7 years and have had no issues with PQ. I have found many of the new platforms far too realistic, like looking through a glass window, which takes away a lot of the movie quality of the playback. The oldest Viera is 10ish years not looking forward to your conundrum. Lessons learned, wifi capable, input limitations, audio outputs. T


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 459
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
tsearay wrote:
Having watched many of the platforms mentioned I am seriously regretting when I will have to replace my Panasonic Viera Plasmas. I have been using Wifi streaming boxes for my source for 7 years and have had no issues with PQ. I have found many of the new platforms far too realistic, like looking through a glass window, which takes away a lot of the movie quality of the playback. The oldest Viera is 10ish years not looking forward to your conundrum. Lessons learned, wifi capable, input limitations, audio outputs. T

Fear not I had same fears after living with the pioneer kuro for 11 years.A sublime tv and regarded the best ever,The LG B series which is entry is only too realistic in the stores.Once professionally calibrated you will be shocked just how accurate it seems via colour,black levels and just how the human eye sees.Believe me its a superior technology and LG is now the Pioneer Kuro of the future.Didnt think I wanted a smart TV but thats awesome too


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:43 pm
Posts: 1533
Location: *, ON, CA
Thanks, I would guess the benefit of upsampling. We still live in a 720 dominant media, 4K will have it's problems with up charging against streaming aka cable cutting. T


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group