Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:40 am 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1219
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
I am making a multi-generational leap on my secondary TV (I upgraded my HT to an Epson LS-10000) last Fall). Replacing a 32" Sony Wega flatscreen CRT with a modern TV. I have owned the Wega for 14 years (most people were buying plasmas when I bought it; it is HD, and has one HDMI input). Since I don't change TVs often, I am willing to spend some dollars to get a good set.

Like many in the know, I am not buying the 4K or HDR hype. From 12 feet away from my 110 inch HT screen, there is NO difference in picture quality.

That said, I am wondering what people's views are on OLED? This replacement will be wall-mounted and the viewer will be 8 feet away in a basement (dark) room. I am not too enamoured with the curved screen concept. I think there are a few 1080P flat screen OLED's kicking around that would fit the bill.

Happy to hear thoughts on OLED vs. LED. While I love the plasma screen, not going there so thanks in advance for not going there either.

Thanks,

Dave


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2304
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Are anyone else besides LG producing large screen OLED? I didn't get any hits searching Samsung or Sony.
If this is the case then there must be a reason for it which is enough to keep me away.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:10 am 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1219
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
You may be right, but that isn't enough of a reason for me personally. OLED has been out in the wild for a couple of years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 4005
Location: Golden Triangle, ON, CA
I found this that suggests Samsung may be producing them in 2018. But other than that looks like LG till then.


http://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led- ... -in-2018-/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 749
Location: Brantford, ON, CA
Now is not a good time to buy a TV...but I would go with LED more specifically the Sony XBR Wega 800 series...

OLED has issues with BLUE...lasts 50% less than other primary colors...and does not scale well in regards to color accuracy...

No new TV I know of is color accurate :?

You might be better off to go with a separate screen and projector...or compromise go with the Sony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:31 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 pm
Posts: 265
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
In theory, OLED should be better in every way, and by a large margin over LED (which is really LCD over LED)
In practice, it's easy to see the difference, which to my eyes is huge.
Some tablets already have OLED screens. I'd suggest you check out Best Buy where you can compare OLED and LCD/LED devices side by side. That is, two same-size same-maker tablets that only differ in screen type.

_________________
Free is my favorite price.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm
Posts: 849
Location: St. John's, NL, CA
Energyguy999 wrote:
Now is not a good time to buy a TV...but I would go with LED more specifically the Sony XBR Wega 800 series...

OLED has issues with BLUE...lasts 50% less than other primary colors...and does not scale well in regards to color accuracy...

No new TV I know of is color accurate :?

You might be better off to go with a separate screen and projector...or compromise go with the Sony


Prior to reading this, I thought OLED to be superior in almost every single way. All OLED displays I've seen so far have been amazing and stunning. I remember when I first read about the tech a while back and believe they compared OLED as having the benefits of LED LCD displays and the dark and high contrast ratio of Plasma TVs.

I recently bought a Sony LED smart TV (about a year ago)... Sort of wish I had waited, and gone with a 4K OLED. I wouldn't be taking advantage of the 4K yet anyway, but I think it would be great. 1080P is still perfectly fine though for the 50" range...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm
Posts: 2398
Location: Not Toronto, ON, CA
If it's a cost thing, don't rush the 4k, get a good 1080p. I am in the market right now and have to say I am totally happy with the idea of a 60" 1080p. While I know there are higher end 4k units that would kill a 1080p, I have to think that a mid level 1080p vs an entry level 4k is a toss up. Plus, everyone is going for HDR now and most entry level 4k's don't offer HDR.

Without access to too much content, there isn't enough incentive for me. If you're able to access all the 4k goodness then its a different story. Though, I have to wonder how many people will replace their first 4k Tv's without ever having watched any actual 4k content.

_________________
... just can't trust them corvette drivin' freemasons!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 749
Location: Brantford, ON, CA
Is color accuracy a concern? If so, do not buy an OLED TV.

If you do not mind cartoonish colors buy an OLED, otherwise the SONY XBR...

--------------------------

Is OLED worth the money? Not to me...I prefer accurate colors gamut. :!:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13706
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Some of these 4k displays are about more than just pixel count....upsampling on some of these is quite impressive, making SD look like HD. Then there's motion artifact control that reduces juddering, flimmering and aliasing. These are not just TVs anymore but displays with full graphics enhancement engines.

This website has fairly comprehensive reviews of a wide range of displays. It's a good place to narrow down a list of contenders.

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:06 pm 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1219
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
ripblade wrote:
Some of these 4k displays are about more than just pixel count....upsampling on some of these is quite impressive, making SD look like HD. Then there's motion artifact control that reduces juddering, flimmering and aliasing. These are not just TVs anymore but displays with full graphics enhancement engines.

This website has fairly comprehensive reviews of a wide range of displays. It's a good place to narrow down a list of contenders.

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/


Looks like a really good site. Thinking I may splurge on an LG 55" OLED but it looks like the latest models aren't yet available in Canada. Thinking the OLED55B6P if I can find one. Like the fact that it doesn't have a curved screen and it should look good wall-mounted. Also like that some of the connections are on the back, not the side, as it would be nice to hide all the wires.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 121
Location: toronto, ON, CA
I am waiting for my sony xbr rear projection to die before getting a oled. I think (as many reviewer think as well) that the lg oleds have the best picture available. You cannot beat the true blacks you get from oled. Best buy just received last years oled so I don't expect this years oled to come until next year. I don't think much about 4k but hdr and wide colour gamet does make quite a difference. The one thing that is a big disadvantage is the price of the oled.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:06 pm
Posts: 925
Location: hawkesbury, ON, CA
when you say 4 k and 1080p have no difference, that is false, 4 k is 4 time higher resolution, and it shows specificly on big screen, the problem with 4 k is there is no 4 k content, a few station are starting to produce 4 k like videotron hockey night, but only available trough videotron cable. so all others have to be upconvert, and yes there is not much difference when upconverting a signal from 1080 p to 4 k , but you cannot say there is no difference.
when movies and television will have more 4 k content. you will be very pleased to know you are ready, specialy if you don t intend to change your next tv set very soon.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 4484
Location: Welland, ON, CA
alcheung wrote:
I am waiting for my sony xbr rear projection to die before getting a oled. I think (as many reviewer think as well) that the lg oleds have the best picture available. You cannot beat the true blacks you get from oled. Best buy just received last years oled so I don't expect this years oled to come until next year. I don't think much about 4k but hdr and wide colour gamet does make quite a difference. The one thing that is a big disadvantage is the price of the oled.
Tangram wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Some of these 4k displays are about more than just pixel count....upsampling on some of these is quite impressive, making SD look like HD. Then there's motion artifact control that reduces juddering, flimmering and aliasing. These are not just TVs anymore but displays with full graphics enhancement engines.

This website has fairly comprehensive reviews of a wide range of displays. It's a good place to narrow down a list of contenders.

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/


Looks like a really good site. Thinking I may splurge on an LG 55" OLED but it looks like the latest models aren't yet available in Canada. Thinking the OLED55B6P if I can find one. Like the fact that it doesn't have a curved screen and it should look good wall-mounted. Also like that some of the connections are on the back, not the side, as it would be nice to hide all the wires.


There is a store in my area that has most of their curved screen TV's wall mounted and contrary to what I thought before seeing a curved TV wall mounted, they actually look fine set up like that. I thought it would look strange or weird, but it doesn't.

The OLED's may not be the last word in colour accuracy, but overall the picture quality form the best ones is the best I have ever seen and that includes the best Plasma displays produced by Panasonic and Pioneer. There is more to TV picture quality than just colour accuracy, although with my naked eye I can't detect any issues with the re-production of blues or any other colour for that matter on the current 4K OLED's. By all means if colour accuracy is the be all and end all for you when it comes to choosing a TV and your eyes are extremely sensitive to colour accuracy, then definitely don't buy an OLED. Personally I can sacrifice a bit of accuracy for an overall picture quality that is superior to what else is available, new, in the market right now.

I have a close personal friend who is in consumer electronic sales (including OLED TV's among others) and is always up on all the latest news. It's his job. He has heard about the claims of supposed issues with longevity when it comes to the OLED sets, but he says so far there are no hard numbers, that he knows of, that indicate that OLED's don't last as long as any LCD/LED technology, generally speaking. His store tracks in warranty and out of warranty repairs and customer complaints on all the products they sell and my friend told me that their data indicates that OLED's, since their introduction, have lasted just as long as sets from other technologies.

The current models of 4K curved OLED's are being deeply discounted tight now, but my friend tells me that these models are slated to see even further price drops in the not too distant future, so you may want to hang on for a bit if you are planning to purchase one of them.

-- 05 Jul 2016 07:32 --

zon001 wrote:
when you say 4 k and 1080p have no difference, that is false, 4 k is 4 time higher resolution, and it shows specificly on big screen, the problem with 4 k is there is no 4 k content, a few station are starting to produce 4 k like videotron hockey night, but only available trough videotron cable. so all others have to be upconvert, and yes there is not much difference when upconverting a signal from 1080 p to 4 k , but you cannot say there is no difference.
when movies and television will have more 4 k content. you will be very pleased to know you are ready, specialy if you don t intend to change your next tv set very soon.


In the East both Rogers and Bell are now offering some 4K content. Predominantly live sporting events at the moment, but more content is starting to come through now. There are also a quickly growing number of titles available in 4K Blu-ray and corresponding machines to play them back on. I saw a demo, fantastic. The lack of true 4K content period is rapidly drawing to a close.

_________________
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OLED Worth the $$?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:33 am 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1219
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
zon001 wrote:
when you say 4 k and 1080p have no difference, that is false, 4 k is 4 time higher resolution, and it shows specificly on big screen, the problem with 4 k is there is no 4 k content, a few station are starting to produce 4 k like videotron hockey night, but only available trough videotron cable. so all others have to be upconvert, and yes there is not much difference when upconverting a signal from 1080 p to 4 k , but you cannot say there is no difference.
when movies and television will have more 4 k content. you will be very pleased to know you are ready, specialy if you don t intend to change your next tv set very soon.


I have to disagree. I watch 4K Netflix through a Roku 4 projected onto a 110 inch screen. From my viewing distance, 1O-11 feet, there is no difference between 1080P and 4K. Smaller screens would definitely be no different from a normal viewing distance.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group