Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 pm 

Sharp Aquos have had it for 4 years.

Not your price but bullet proof and great picture.

Have one at golf course I manage, running 7am to 8-9pm daily, no issues.

Compliments from customers " why isn't my picture that good ".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:57 pm 

snagglepuss wrote:
Sharp Aquos have had it for 4 years.

Not your price but bullet proof and great picture.

Have one at golf course I manage, running 7am to 8-9pm daily, no issues.

Compliments from customers " why isn't my picture that good ".

Sharp has exited the market and sold their TV division to Hisense. Dont think Sharp will be what it was.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:09 pm 

I have the Sony KDL60W850B bought on closeout (demo model so on all the time) but the discounts on the floor models can be rather large so it's worth looking into.

It's the best "sounding" TV I have ever heard and it's a gaming television. Good for Fallout 4 and MLB.

I will say the 3D is horrible. I can't get through a single movie in 3D so do not buy it for 3D. I didn't so it's no big deal to me but a warning. Apparently the 70 inch version has some major problems and the model that replaced the 850 didn't get great reviews. I also have a Samsung 37 inch TV which is just as nice. Most of them are probably coming out of the same Chinese plants.

I'd go Plasma but I don't have the dark room and because of the gaming aspect the LCD comes in. I don't sit off axis but the degree off axis that I do I see no difference. Costco often has killer deals but so does Best-Buy - I bought an off brand 32 inch there for less than half the retail price (on demo) and it's been great as well.

Vizio gets good reviews - just check the warranties on all these brands. In HK I paid $120 for a full 5 year replacement warranty on the Sony. I did so because it is a demo and as someone noted they keep it on torch mode for a solid year.

But I will repeat the sound quality - it doesn't sound like a tin can like most all other TVs. It probably isn't a selling feature if you run a receiver all the time and speakers - but if you don't it's nice to have decent sound quality - even for watching a youtube video. Also the weight is an issue - the 850 is 70 Lbs or something. I don't know if the replacement is also a wedge type.

Still a demo if you have a replacement warranty might still be a lot cheaper than a new in box model

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:30 pm 

Richard Austen wrote:

I'd go Plasma but I don't have the dark room

Sure, if you could actually find a plasma. I, unfortunately, waited just a touch too long. I wanted a Panasonic ST series but by the time I decided to purchase the only ones still available were VT and ZT series. I bought a 55" VT series. The picture was stunning and just fine in a bright room. The downside? Fan noise (which is why I really wanted the ST60 which is fanless). Why Panasonic, a company that should know better since they are in the fan business (Panaflow), didn't use larger fans running at slower RPM's and therefore would run silent or close to it, I can't imagine. I gave up the gorgeous picture because of the fan noise (I did have the Panasonic supplied "fix" installed but it didn't help enough).

I have the KDL60W630B which is well reviewed and fine for the $1200 it cost me but not even close to the Panasonic Plasma. When I can buy a nice 65" OLED for a reasonable price I'll switch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:53 pm 

I just purchased a 55" version of this Proscan Elite a couple months ago to replace an 8 year old Samsung LED and I'm quite pleased with it - You will want to double check the 120 hz as mine was advertised as 120 hz but shows 60hz - I guess they enhance it somehow

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/categor ... sku=ep6585

Nice price for a 65 and none of that Smart tv crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 pm 

SatoriGFX wrote:
I have the KDL60W630B which is well reviewed and fine for the $1200 it cost me but not even close to the Panasonic Plasma. When I can buy a nice 65" OLED for a reasonable price I'll switch.

How do you like the 630B? Any light bleed issues? Many people mention banding issues with large white screens, skies etc... but think I may not be susceptible as I never seem to notice - though I've never really looked that hard. I have to admit I was heavily considering it, as I believe it to be one of the few budget 60" with actual 120hz. Many others say 120hz, but do not think they actually are. Shame.

Can't fight the urge to buy the Vizio D60, as it's only $900, and an extended warranty from Costco seems cheap as chips - so be like $1000 plus tax for a TV with 5 year warranty. Granted for $300 more I could do a Sony with 120hz... whether the brand change and refresh is worth $300 more is up to me I guess eh? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:39 pm 

mortron wrote:
How do you like the 630B? Any light bleed issues? Many people mention banding issues with large white screens, skies etc...

I have some bleed, mostly gone after massaging the screen. There is some mild banding as you describe. I mostly don't notice either if I stop dissecting every aspect of the image (I'm quite particular) and instead just enjoy what I am watching. With LED TV's it's a crapshoot. You could buy 3 of the same model TV and have different amounts of bleed, different uniformity etc... It's a second rate technology that was chosen because it's cheap to produce, energy efficient and shows well in a bright store. That's why I was not willing to spend a lot on an LED TV. I decided to go with the best budget TV I could find and wait for OLED to mature and come down in price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 am 

mortron wrote:
Mostly movies and such, no gaming, just watch hockey really for sports.

If you watch sports like hockey get a plasma, the speed of the display is so much better so you dont get visual artifacts. I don't like hockey on an lcd, it is hard on the eyes. I have a Pioneer Kuro and guests comment that watching hockey is like viewing a film. I dont have cable, that is HD streaming over the internet.

Also my son uses it with his playstation 4 and the graphics are awesome...

And as others have noted search online to find the settings to properly calibrate your display, it makes a big difference!

good luck