Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:40 am 

I posted this elsewhere but want to ask everyone here:

So I used to work for an LG/Samsung dealer, and used to be a bit of an LG fanboy. Now, I am just looking for the best panel for the money. Mostly movies and such, no gaming, just watch hockey really for sports.

While I know 4k is big and the future, I want this TV to serve me for a few years before I relegate it to bedroom duty. I would also rather buy a mid level 1080p than entry level 4k... So my only real requirement from a 1080p 60" is that it would be nice if it had actual 120hz - but not a deal breaker.

I shopped around, thought I found a nice Panasonic 60", but they only have floor models left and am apprehensive about it. So I started looking at alternatives in that price range.

- Vizio - There are D, E, and all other kinds of series. Have trouble keeping track of what's what... but I hear none offer true 120hz... given all that, which of these are the series to get? I see 60" D and E series from time to time, ones usually $100 or so cheaper.

- Samsung - I saw that the UN60J6200 is on sale locally, and same price as the UN55J6300 I saw yesterday. I was told that the 6300 is TOTL for Samsung in 1080, and a better TV than the 6200... all that said - they are both 60hz yeah?

- LG - They have a nice looking 55" 1080p with "120hz" advertised. Whether or not its real IDK - I think it was the 55LF6100 or something like that. Either way, I like LG, they look nice, but think Samsung picture quality may be growing on me.

Can anyone recommend any other models to check out? My budget is at MOST $1100 CDN before tax. Never really owned a Vizio, had a Phillips that served me well for 5 years until I sold it. I have always been wary of the Toshiba's and such, and Sony is too highly priced here in Canada - the values you get south of the border don't exist here. I am headed to the US tomorrow, but not keen on trying to bring back a $1000 purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:02 am 

Mortron;

I’m not a videophile in the least but wanted a big screen for my dedicated A/V room. I watch the odd movie and hockey game like you. After doing my research I concluded that the biggest bang for my buck was to buy the Vizio E series but the 65” was supposedly a better build than the 60” version in the reviews I read. I’m enjoying it so far and if you google it I found a reviewer that posted his calibration settings, so need to pay someone to calibrate it for the best picture.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 am 

At $1100 it's going to be a bit tough. I just saw this at Costco, they have a great 60 day hassle free warranty period and a very affordable extended warranty plan. Good luck!

http://www.costco.ca/Samsung%C2%AE-UN60 ... 95741.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:30 am 

Vizio has good rating but I've never owned one. LG has been good but I'm a Panasonic fan boy. Great picture and reliable as well. Crying shame they don't do plasma any more.
Don't get to caught up in all the 4K hype. It's stunning alright if you sit two feet from the screen. If you sit a normal distance, say eight feet or more, you'll be hard pressed to see a difference from a set displaying 1080p.
Having the set professionally calibrated is nice but expensive. I went on line found a review of my set and used their settings as a jumping off point and tweaked them to my preference.
If you don't already have a surround system you'll want to set a few bucks aside for one or at the least a good sound bar.
The speakers in most panels are truly dire.
Lastly, my experience with Samsung was in every way a disaster. It broke down if you blinked at it.
Forget the extended warranties, pay with a credit card and it will double the warranty.
Plug the set into a quality surge protector of some sort, a small APC unit or such. Many sets are sensitive to voltage changes.
Happy shopping, let us know what you got.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:04 am 

Really wishing 2001 had more than just floor models of that Panasonic 60"...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:28 am 

mortron wrote:
Really wishing 2001 had more than just floor models of that Panasonic 60"...

Most floor models are set to "torch mode". Bright as can be to compete with the store lighting and other sets.
It prematurely ages the panel. My buddy recently bought a 50" Panasonic from 2001 but insisted on a new unit.
They can be found but you may have to look around some. Pricing on TV's is very competitive so with a little luck you should be able to get a good price at most stores.
It's far from my favourite store but sometimes Best Buy has a good deals. Make sure to ask if they offer free setup and or delivery. It's surprising what they'll do to make a sale.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:06 am 

I would have to recommend the Sony W800/W850. This series is only available in 50, 55 or 65 I believe - though I bet you have some flexibility on size. It has fantastic blacks and no problems with blur - in short, great for movies. And it has excellent upscaling - dvds look great on it.
Possibly even better is the Samsung J6300 - but it is pricier. And I believe Samsung has more QC issues than Sony. The J6200 is nothing special - seems it can't produce deep blacks.
Vizio is a gamble on QC issues - quality costs money.
Panasonic - I am a Panasonic fanboy from their plasma and vacuum tube days - I think their LCD offering don't live up to that legacy. Even their 4k sets disappoint - no serious blacks, just greys.
LG - I believe they have inferior picture processing - I would avoid this too as a main tv.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 am 

I bought a Samsung 60" Plasma Smart TV about a year and a half ago. It has a nice picture in a darkened room and has been trouble free so far. No buzzing and I haven't noticed any problems with motion artifacts watching hockey games as some have reported (though I don't watch much sports). It also has the less desirable PenTile screen but the picture looks pretty good to me at 1080p. I think the refresh rate is claimed to be 600 hz but I am not sure.

I mounted it on the wall as I didn't think much of the included stand. I have used it to stream Netflix and Youtube videos as well as a regular tv. It was on sale then for under $900.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 pm 

The recommended Sony TV's are supposed to be nice but unfortunately the price on this side of the 49th is a bit high... the 6300 would be great. Then again its same price as an entry level 4k... my issue is that from what I can tell, the 6300 isn't even a true 120hz panel. Everyone seems to be phasing out "hertz" from any of their marketing materials and just going with "clear motion" and the sort.

Torch mode - yes. We always set tv's to "vivid" etc... It helps them pop on the floor but kills them a lot quicker. Thats why I dont want a floor model.

As for free delivery and set up, I used to do it for a living. There is little value in someone making me wait around all day, and then not take their shoes off and half assed set up my TV :lol:

Figured it would be easy once I had a budget. Seems my biggest issue is with the current offerings in the market :S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:35 pm 

I have Panasonic plasma 60". Even if it's a floor model I would say go for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Audiois1st wrote:
Mortron;

I’m not a videophile in the least but wanted a big screen for my dedicated A/V room. I watch the odd movie and hockey game like you. After doing my research I concluded that the biggest bang for my buck was to buy the Vizio E series but the 65” was supposedly a better build than the 60” version in the reviews I read. I’m enjoying it so far and if you google it I found a reviewer that posted his calibration settings, so need to pay someone to calibrate it for the best picture.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Another vote for Vizio here!

Bought my 65" from Costco and have been nothing but impressed with both the features and picture quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 pm 

Some of the older 4K TV floor models do not support HDR (i.e. high dynamic range) nor, correct me if I am wrong, a more inclusive color space. So a newer 4K set do have improvements other than the increase in resolution. However these newer 4K sets all cost a lot more than $1K, for now. If I were you I will stick with a good 1080p set.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 am 

Sony KDL60W630B if you can find one (Best Buy has some available for online ordering). It's basically a KDL60W850B without 3d. Has a narrow viewing angle though so not great for a bunch of people watching sports on different chairs/couches from different angles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:28 am 

I have a VIZIO 70" now. With proper tuning it's pretty good. Note that I came from two Panny Plasma so I'm biased. LED will never beat Plasma but the VIZIO I have is more than good enough for me.

It's a stop gap until OLED is more reliable and reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:34 am 

SatoriGFX wrote:
Sony KDL60W630B if you can find one (Best Buy has some available for online ordering). It's basically a KDL60W850B without 3d. Has a narrow viewing angle though so not great for a bunch of people watching sports on different chairs/couches from different angles.

Ive read about the viewing angle and others have said they didnt have issues. Gotta admit, i would love to see one in person before I buy one.