Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:23 am 

Hepcat wrote:
Therefore should a person not be able to get a good antenna for his roof to get as many over the air channels as he could conceivably need (eight networks plus several independents) and then subscribe to only the specialty channels in which he might be interested at a cost far less than what Rogers or Bell charge for monthly TV service?

:?:
I don't think you can subscribe to specialty only cable channels...you have to tag them onto skinny basic at a premium. OTA and a streaming service is the way to go though, if you have decent internet speed that isn't data capped.

edit: It's too bad the Governors at the CFL are a bunch of idiots. The blackouts were supposed to help raise revenue, but they've killed the popularity of Canadian football. Can't watch the Grey Cup but you can the Superbowl...complete with US commercials. As a consequence, the NFL is more popular here, now.

Total BS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:21 am 

Uunderhill wrote:
JGP wrote:
I agree that there is a unrealistic cost now for Sat or Digital Cable (whatever you want to call it). I am paying a fortune to have the privilege to have very few stations today. My TiVo from Rogers teases me everyday with all the stations I don't get. The monopoly in the industry is making competition unfair.

Set up a TV antenna and tell Rogers to have a nice day.

There have been numerous discussions on CAM about TV antennas.
One great web site is http://www.TVFool.com
Enter a postal code, and it will show you the channels, signal strength and directionality of the OTA TV
channels in your area.

As for Bell, the CRTC should never have allowed one corporation to be a land phone, cell phone and internet service
provider - as well as own a TV channel and control its content (and AM radio stations).
Now TV shows, created by CTV, now have an interesting bias towards the use of Cell Phones.
Shows such as CTV's "The Social [Media]" are disguised infomercials.

I have been using antenna TV for some time on my 50" LED LG. I get over 40 channels including all Canadian, CBS, NBC, ABC US broadcasts, and other channels like the Justice TV, ., and more US broadcast channel feeds from Buffalo and WNYC. Im on the south side of my building using a Clear View (the one with two pods with grid behind them) from Best Buy. I used to get basic channels from Rogers free with my internet subscription but they finally filtered them all out. Not like they were doing me any favours since were talking only 20 channels maybe. Now I get more than twice that and lots of US feed which I prefer. Although, Im not sure I can endure yet another law firm commercial for class action laws suits against a pharmaceutical company . "If you got posterior glute warts from riding your bicycle, you might be entitled to a cash payment.."

What does Rogers do when they remove a channel you got for free? They replace it with a fish tank. Yes, free 24/7 view of a fish tank. They are cheeky bastards I tell ya. :lol: Oh yeah, always read your bills like they are instructions to a secret treasure some where so you don't miss the "errors".

-- 08 Sep 2016 11:31 --

Musicware4u wrote:
Uunderhill wrote:
JGP wrote:
I agree that there is a unrealistic cost now for Sat or Digital Cable (whatever you want to call it). I am paying a fortune to have the privilege to have very few stations today. My TiVo from Rogers teases me everyday with all the stations I don't get. The monopoly in the industry is making competition unfair.

Set up a TV antenna and tell Rogers to have a nice day.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:58 am 

Cable Companies = Record Companies 10 years ago.

Cable companies did not adapt quick enough to the models out there... Netflix was a giant red flag. When you have a streaming service creating original programming that is increasingly better than what cable outlets offer, it's not hard to understand why people are turning their backs on cable. They offer little of what the public wants.

People have become accustomed to on demand access to materials. The busier our days are, the less time we have to conform to television scheduling. Tivo and all the video recorders were popular for this reason - the user could archive what they want and watch it on demand. That was the appeal.

The issue with adapting will be advertising. It's hard to sell ad time to something someone will simply skip over. I can only assume a network needs to sell that ad time to cover production costs of these shows.

Today on the CBC I heard a bit about how Bell was not even advertising these skinny packages, and even going so far as to instruct their employees not to speak about them unless the customer mentioned them. While I am sure this practice is par for the course, I also believe it goes to show how unwilling the cable companies are to adapt... the model that the public demands does not fit with their preferred model for making money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:03 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
"If you got posterior glute warts from riding your bicycle, you might be entitled to a cash payment.."
:lol: Never seen that one....where do I sign up? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 am 

I get a giant pain in the posterior when I get my cable bill, am I eligible for a cash settlement?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:04 pm 

mjfn wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:
Set up a server and have worry free access to truly unlimited media (and much better stuff than you can get on streaming services)

I always thought that an android box was the cat's meow but if a server setup surpasses it, it may be time to reconsider. Could you please recommend a link(s) that would give me some background as to how to do this without too much hair pulling. Thanks.

Uh be prepared to invest alot in it unless you arent in 'the scene' or some level of torrent royalty (extremely high ratios on private sites that are impossible to get into) , or both. You can do pretty well with public sites + usenet but by this point Id never go back.

I don't even know where to start. Do you rip your own files? are you one of the people on here who stream using an android tv box (which a majority of content on is illegal) but then also complain I'm a pirate because I download instead of stream? If you answered no to the first and yes to the second, I can't help you.

mortron wrote:
Cable Companies = Record Companies 10 years ago.

Cable companies did not adapt quick enough to the models out there... Netflix was a giant red flag. When you have a streaming service creating original programming that is increasingly better than what cable outlets offer, it's not hard to understand why people are turning their backs on cable. They offer little of what the public wants.

People have become accustomed to on demand access to materials. The busier our days are, the less time we have to conform to television scheduling. Tivo and all the video recorders were popular for this reason - the user could archive what they want and watch it on demand. That was the appeal.

The issue with adapting will be advertising. It's hard to sell ad time to something someone will simply skip over. I can only assume a network needs to sell that ad time to cover production costs of these shows.

Today on the CBC I heard a bit about how Bell was not even advertising these skinny packages, and even going so far as to instruct their employees not to speak about them unless the customer mentioned them. While I am sure this practice is par for the course, I also believe it goes to show how unwilling the cable companies are to adapt... the model that the public demands does not fit with their preferred model for making money.

We were one of the first labels I knew to offer all our albums for free on streaming services. One of the only reasons we made any money, at least IMO. The industry needs to change, not the consumer.

-- 08 Sep 2016 21:09 --

OTA is a mess, so is IPTV. If you're technologically inclined and willing to try a few options, IPTV can be had for free or almost nothing.

I can't link here since it constitutes piracy but its quite easy to find a very high quality option that will NOT disappear or go down. Most want to lock to a specific Android TV box + its MAC Address but there are ways around that and I have found (slightly harder to locate or entirely private) options that will allow you to use a PC + Kodi which is my prefered method. Also if you're willing to mess around a bit every few days there are many free options that work great.

Having said that, private trackers are your best bet. Cant name names but

PTP - Movies
What - Music
BTN - TV

Will take care of literally anything and everything you could ever want or need within those media types. None are accepting applications and none give out invites to members frequently. Get on one and you'll get into the rest over the course of a year.

EDIT: What applications are open. You need to go through an interview process over IRC, there is a website that will give you the knowledge you need to pass the interview. They like people who have stuff they don't have (at over a million releases, some with 10+ pressings, you're gonna be hard pressed to do so), and people with very fast remote servers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm 

Glad you mentioned speed etc. What do you need to make this work efficiently?
Right now with Bell, I get Download-5.96
Upload-0.66
Latency (whatever that is)-12Ms
I have a cap of 60GB
I know I need better but are these numbers due to an older computer and a poor internet package, both? :? :?[/quote]

I am a single person and since going with the streaming thing I don't go over 100gig , my cap is 160gig. speed wise I have had the 30mps package for the last year but just got a free upgrade to 60mps . When I was using the "other method " of getting movies I would approach my limit . But I might watch an hour a day maybe 2 , weekends might use more as stay up later . The 30 mps was ok , but I find the 60mps doesn't buffer or stall as much . And my computer is also an older model running Win7 . So you would have to go with the Bell fib30 min I would say .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:12 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
mjfn wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:
Set up a server and have worry free access to truly unlimited media (and much better stuff than you can get on streaming services)

I always thought that an android box was the cat's meow but if a server setup surpasses it, it may be time to reconsider. Could you please recommend a link(s) that would give me some background as to how to do this without too much hair pulling. Thanks.

Uh be prepared to invest alot in it unless you arent in 'the scene' or some level of torrent royalty (extremely high ratios on private sites that are impossible to get into) , or both. You can do pretty well with public sites + usenet but by this point Id never go back.

I don't even know where to start. Do you rip your own files? are you one of the people on here who stream using an android tv box (which a majority of content on is illegal) but then also complain I'm a pirate because I download instead of stream? If you answered no to the first and yes to the second, I can't help you.

Thanks. I strongly suspect I don't have near enough tech savvy to attempt this. I'll stick with the android box for now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:33 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

FoxFoxFox wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:
I haven't had cable in 3 years and don't miss it at all. We were spending over 240 a month for cable, phone and internets.
That's some pretty solid money that can go towards storage (almost a new 3TB drive a month) . Hence, theres just no need for cable. All my shows, movies and music are available 24/7 anywhere in the world through a Netflix like streaming interface. Only issue was my mom really loved her TCM so I downloaded 1500 older films and a bunch of shorts so she has access to all of that now.

Just buy the fastest internet you can afford (rogers offers gigabit almost everywhere now but their upload is so horribly capped) . Set up a server and have worry free access to truly unlimited media (and much better stuff than you can get on streaming services)

Glad you mentioned speed etc. What do you need to make this work efficiently?
Right now with Bell, I get Download-5.96
Upload-0.66
Latency (whatever that is)-12Ms
I have a cap of 60GB
I know I need better but are these numbers due to an older computer and a poor internet package, both? :? :?

Is what I have. Yeah you need much faster internet. We go through around 3-9TB per month of usage so yeah, unlimited is important ;)

Id recommend

We just have the second fastest (and after move will probably switch over to a different internet provider) because there's 4 people in this house and I download full blu rays which are like 45gb a piece.

I'm in a city (technically) and I can't get cable internet, nor DSL/phone internet. I'm about a third of a mile (1/2km) down a wooded private road. (Oh so horrible! OK, nice isolated place, in the city even, but no interwebs. More like intercobwebs.<place cricket sounds here>)

All I can get, is cell based internet, or satellite based internet. One is not really any faster than the other.

I peak out at 4.5mbit/s, at 3am, when no one else is on the same hub. From 6 to 10pm, I can't even watch a 360p youtube video.

For this, I pay about $70 a month.

As for pirating, I could go outside and steal a dead bug off the car and bring it into the house, instead of finding a dead one in the house.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:57 am 

I just finished reading a long thread on android/IPTV etc. and here's why I likely WON'T be getting it.
It seems that:
Most channels are SD or 720p at best, 1080p is rare.
You will not get the same quality as Bell,Rogers etc.(frequent dropouts, pixellation,lag etc).
Surround is rare.
It may be worthwhile as an addition to cable or satellite, but I'm not looking to pay more.
Overall it's a little disappointing.
I don't understand how people can have quality hi-def TV's, quality surround gear and be willing to accept the low quality.
It's like having good audio gear and listening mainly to 128kbs mp3.
If I'm wrong on this (entirely possible) please feel free to correct me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:26 am 

I have found that most of the movies using my android box are 720p and some are 1080p. Pixelation or buffering is rare. I only use 2ch so no surround ch is not a problem for me. The picture is not Blu Ray quality but it still looks good to me on my 106" screen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:47 am 

For anything but comedy or sitcoms, streaming quality is usually too dismal. I download, its better and the encoders on my sites (if I'm not getting untouched blu ray stuff) are focused on maintaining quality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:58 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I just ordered a Minix Neo U1 with an A2 Lite remote/keyboard. Will try streaming for the first time to see if its for us.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 am 
Premium User

If rogers or bell lower their cost for TV , there wont be any of these android box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:04 am 

Would I be able to watch the Grey Cup with one of these?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next