Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:29 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

catwk wrote:
If a CD sells for 99 cents, with a footnote saying if you play it for more than 3 times, you have to pay $1 for every additional time you play the CD, more people will start "collecting" music.

No doubt R & B will use microprint for their *footnotes on their flyers, as soon as it is not illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Qu ... henticated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:50 pm 

I have been using Kodi for over a year and OTA for local news and the 5 channels I get on it . I bought a Android box on amazon for $53 and then later hooked up and old P4 computer and installed Kodi , better than the box as quicker . Needed to get a new video card with HDMI on it , another $50 . Killed my land line and use just my cel phone , unlimited calling and texting for less than a bell home line , which was 80% telemarketing anyway. I now pay about $120 a month for internet and cel phone and no cost to call family for as long as I want . My only issue is the sports channels , CFL and hockey are hard to get working , haven't figured it out yet . I hope the World cup will show up ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:37 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
catwk wrote:
If a CD sells for 99 cents, with a footnote saying if you play it for more than 3 times, you have to pay $1 for every additional time you play the CD, more people will start "collecting" music.

No doubt R & B will use microprint for their *footnotes on their flyers, as soon as it is not illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Qu ... henticated

Not sure which part of the article you want I to pay attention to, we are indirectly paying license fee for any device which has HDMI port or HDCD hardware decoder, so what is new with MQA equipment requirement ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 am 

I haven't had cable in 3 years and don't miss it at all. We were spending over 240 a month for cable, phone and internets.
That's some pretty solid money that can go towards storage (almost a new 3TB drive a month) . Hence, theres just no need for cable. All my shows, movies and music are available 24/7 anywhere in the world through a Netflix like streaming interface. Only issue was my mom really loved her TCM so I downloaded 1500 older films and a bunch of shorts so she has access to all of that now.

Just buy the fastest internet you can afford (rogers offers gigabit almost everywhere now but their upload is so horribly capped) . Set up a server and have worry free access to truly unlimited media (and much better stuff than you can get on streaming services)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:53 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
I haven't had cable in 3 years and don't miss it at all. We were spending over 240 a month for cable, phone and internets.
That's some pretty solid money that can go towards storage (almost a new 3TB drive a month) . Hence, theres just no need for cable. All my shows, movies and music are available 24/7 anywhere in the world through a Netflix like streaming interface. Only issue was my mom really loved her TCM so I downloaded 1500 older films and a bunch of shorts so she has access to all of that now.

Just buy the fastest internet you can afford (rogers offers gigabit almost everywhere now but their upload is so horribly capped) . Set up a server and have worry free access to truly unlimited media (and much better stuff than you can get on streaming services)

Glad you mentioned speed etc. What do you need to make this work efficiently?
Right now with Bell, I get Download-5.96
Upload-0.66
Latency (whatever that is)-12Ms
I have a cap of 60GB
I know I need better but are these numbers due to an older computer and a poor internet package, both? :? :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:56 am 

I've been listening to commentary on the hearing re-"skinny packages" and it seems to be a promo for the poor cable companies.
Most of the industry types they've had on to analyse the hearing sound like shills.
When I inquired about the skinny package the sales pitch was "Oh, you don't want that, we have much better packages" and into the sales pitch.
It is alarming what Bell, Rogers and Videotron are allowed to get away with, first they use their financial clout to bully the Mom and Pop android sellers out of business, then thumb their noses at the CRTC and as a final (to date) how do you do, they jack up the rates.
Sadly even if you go with Android your still apt to wind up dealing with them for internet service. Lose, lose for the consumer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:42 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:

Glad you mentioned speed etc. What do you need to make this work efficiently?
Right now with Bell, I get Download-5.96
Upload-0.66
Latency (whatever that is)-12Ms
I have a cap of 60GB
I know I need better but are these numbers due to an older computer and a poor internet package, both? :? :?

Is what I have. Yeah you need much faster internet. We go through around 3-9TB per month of usage so yeah, unlimited is important ;)

Id recommend

We just have the second fastest (and after move will probably switch over to a different internet provider) because theres 4 people in this house and I download full blu rays which are like 45gb a piece.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 am 

A few questions:

1. What does an Android TVbox actually enable the user to do?

2. I understand that most video game consoles are actually designed to be hooked up to a TV because the TV screen is used as the game display. Can not a computer be hooked up to a TV screen the same way so that a TV screen can be used in place of the computer's monitor screen?

3. I seem to recall seeing ads to enable the viewing of TSN (and perhaps other cable channel services) by means of one's personal computer. Is there a reason why these channels could not then be viewed on a person's TV by hooking the computer into the TV?

:?:

Last edited by Hepcat on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:33 am 

Hepcat wrote:
A few questions:

1. What does an Android TVbox actually enable the user to do?

2. I understand that most video game consoles are actually designed to be hooked up to a TV because the TV screen is used as the game display. Can not a computer be hooked up to a TV screen the same way so that a TV screen can be used in place of the computer's monitor screen?

3. I seem to recall seeing ads to enable the viewing of TSN (and perhaps other cable channel service) by means of one's personal computer. Is there a reason why these channels could not then be viewed on a person's TV by hooking the computer into the TV?

Android TV boxes usually let you view channels that are 'streamed' to the box, some have different 'sources' than others. It works but some boxes will just stop recieving these channels depending on what service they were using. IPTV hasn't always been the easiest, at least for me. They ALSO usually have on demand type streaming from similarly sketchy sources. Im sure someone can give a more thorough easy to understand explanation.

Yes exactly. This is what I do for my setup and I much prefer it. For my needs its the best solution. The video quality due to the chroma upscalers I use is far superior to any high end Blu Ray player on the market. Additionally, a computer lets me do complex channel routing for my audio, use higher quality room correction algorithms than available on any receiver, all bass management and DSP is done with 64 bit floating point precision (no im not confusing it with a 64bit program) etc.

Yes of course that works as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:42 am 

Hepcat wrote:

The difference between a "monitor" and a "TV" is the TV has a Tuner to decode television broadcasts. Where a monitor just has inputs. You can use your TV as a monitor, and even your monitor hooked up to your cable box.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 am 

Therefore should a person not be able to get a good antenna for his roof to get as many over the air channels as he could conceivably need (eight networks plus several independents) and then subscribe to only the specialty channels in which he might be interested at a cost far less than what Rogers or Bell charge for monthly TV service?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:56 am 

Hepcat wrote:
Therefore should a person not be able to get a good antenna for his roof to get as many over the air channels as he could conceivably need (eight networks plus several independents) and then subscribe to only the specialty channels in which he might be interested at a cost far less than what Rogers or Bell charge for monthly TV service?

Yes.
Problem is many of us live in areas that get no, or very few over-the-air signals.

I get none where I am.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:00 am 

I'd like to share my opinion on this. As, for several months when I moved in to a new apartment, I went without cable, as the internet was included when we moved in. This didn't included wired LAN, which was a pain for me. However, I decided to get a Bell Fibre Op TV/Internet/Phone bundle. I like the idea of my home phone, though it doesn't get quite as much use as say my cell phone.

The other night, I wanted to watch OWN's new show Queen Sugar and TLC's Too Close to Home.... Stuff that I'm "paying" for and thought I wouldn't bother to download these as I like watching premiers on TV when they come out! All the adverts were saying "coming on at 9EST"! But the guide showed differently. First, I thought the guide was off. So, I waited. But, the show didn't come on. And the guide was correct....

I couldn't find anything on the internet about Canada having this show blocked out... I checked twitter, and those who were watching were tweeting about the episode starting (I don't subscribe to twitter, I just checked it... I swear).

So, what the hell? I find out the Premier for the OWN show is a month later in Canada... And not being broadcast on OWN, but on Bravo instead! How foolish is that? Makes NO sense to me to pay for OWN, only to find out that the shows I actually want to watch are not coming on that channel here? So, I downloaded them, and the quality is fantastic. I don't use a Kodi box, but am still using a 1TB WD box that I purchased several years ago and is still not full! (I delete TV shows I won't watch any more).

The cable companies and phone companies.... The biggest farce on the planet. Jacked up prices and service that is terrible. Between cell phone and all the Bell stuff I have, it's easily over $200 a month.

I thought I'd just share that with you folks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:11 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Set up a server and have worry free access to truly unlimited media (and much better stuff than you can get on streaming services)

I always thought that an android box was the cat's meow but if a server setup surpasses it, it may be time to reconsider. Could you please recommend a link(s) that would give me some background as to how to do this without too much hair pulling. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:21 am 

The only "specialty" service in which I'm interested is TSN. This is because I'd like to get the CFL broadcasts but unfortunately the CFL is carried exclusively on TSN which is cable/satellite only. I'm not willing to pay for all the other channels with which TSN is bundled because they're either available over-the-air with a decent antenna or because I have limited or zilch interest in them.

:(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next