Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:24 am 

http://globalnews.ca/news/2760985/cable ... 28748048=1

Quote:
A Federal Court judge has ruled that several companies must temporarily stop selling TV boxes that allow consumers to access content via streaming sites as they face a court battle over alleged copyright infringement.

Bell, Rogers, Videotron and Groupe TVA Inc. allege these companies’ TV boxes come with pre-loaded software that allows consumers to view copyrighted programming from illegal streaming sites, according to the court order.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am 

I don't own an android box and part of the reason is you had to know that the money whores at Jolly Rogers and Smell would be doing their level best to get an injunction.
It just took a little longer than first anticipated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:44 am 

Even I think you should probably not be selling an android box, with a kodi installation that includes plug ins which facilitate piracy.
People can and probably should do that themselves, please don't sell that.

-- 15 Jun 2016 18:47 --

mahatma1 wrote:
I don't own an android box and part of the reason is you had to know that the money whores at Jolly Rogers and Smell would be doing their level best to get an injunction.
It just took a little longer than first anticipated.

what?

Its not like the boxes stop working. What Im saying is, they are hardware. Its up to the end user to decide if they wanna throw software on them to simply the access to illegal material. Im 100% not for any of that to be bundled on them by default (nor any restriction on doing that if you so decide obviously), it would drastically drive down both the cost of these devices if there was some better legitimisation with the wonderfully extensible android platform

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 am 

I have only recently within the past month purchased a StreamTeam Android TV box and I am enjoying watching many movies. What does this injunction mean to me? Will I lose support for my TV box? I suppose I can set things up myself but it is very convenient to have it bundled.

As for the ethical question of piracy, I can see the cable providers point but I miss the days of free tv. If I was close enough for OTA tv I would do that instead. I am tired of satellite tv providers raising their fees all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:34 am 

Here Here!

I agree that there is a unrealistic cost now for Sat or Digital Cable (whatever you want to call it). I am paying a fortune to have the privilege to have very few stations today. My TiVo from Rogers teases me everyday with all the stations I don't get.

The monopoly in the industry is making competition unfair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:41 am 

Albert wrote:
I have only recently within the past month purchased a StreamTeam Android TV box and I am enjoying watching many movies. What does this injunction mean to me? Will I lose support for my TV box? I suppose I can set things up myself but it is very convenient to have it bundled.

As for the ethical question of piracy, I can see the cable providers point but I miss the days of free tv. If I was close enough for OTA tv I would do that instead. I am tired of satellite tv providers raising their fees all the time.

If there are experts on piracy then it has to be Bell and Rogers. They've manipulated the market and out right defied CRTC rulings for decades.
Your TV box will continue to work until the terrible two can buy the decision they want.
In no way shape or form does the word "ethics" apply to Rogers or Bell's business model.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:52 am 

If there are experts on piracy then it has to be Bell and Rogers. They've manipulated the market and out right defied CRTC rulings for decades.
Your TV box will continue to work until the terrible two can buy the decision they want.
In no way shape or form does the word "ethics" apply to Rogers or Bell's business model.[/quote]

Well said.The greed of these two giant communication companies is disgusting!

Oppo 105D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 pm 

un4given wrote:
In no way shape or form does the word "ethics" apply to Rogers or Bell's business model.

Well said.The greed of these two giant communication companies is disgusting![/quote]

I agree, but both Bell and Rogers are bleeding customers...if they charged $100 a month for EVERYTHING...all TV channels...unlimited internet and phone I think people would pay.

Look at Netflix...$8.99/month for quality programming on multiple devices. They manage to make money...and lots of it. Seems simple really.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:

Well said.The greed of these two giant communication companies is disgusting![/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ a kabillion.......

Why shouldn't people throw them a good stiffy back. You pay a bill
that climbs in price even when you have a contract with them, the
channels you pay for often are pixelized and freeze or the "currently not available"
sign shows up. I didn't bother paying my bill, that way the pricks would
contact me directly instead of the online waste of time or the on hold
for hours for nothing. I told them why I was not paying the bill, how
they broke their own contract and that my money was "currently not available" and
anything they promise, put it in writing...............

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:04 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:

Yes, well said, that's why I won't deal with either of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:54 pm 

Jimmi wrote:

Why shouldn't people throw them a good stiffy back. You pay a bill
that climbs in price even when you have a contract with them, the
channels you pay for often are pixelized and freeze or the "currently not available"
sign shows up. I didn't bother paying my bill, that way the pricks would
contact me directly instead of the online waste of time or the on hold
for hours for nothing. I told them why I was not paying the bill, how
they broke their own contract and that my money was "currently not available" and
anything they promise, put it in writing...............

I Like It!

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:12 pm 

Ive been using XBMC/KODI for over 5 years now and have no intention of stopping anytime soon. When will these Cable companies realize that when they shut down one source another pops up overnight to replace the one they killed (hello Popcorn Time). I have no issue paying my $100/mo to Shaw (well its robbery but I digress) but at least that gets me home phone and internet all day long as well as my TV entertainment and security monitoring, etc. Just once I'd like to see Rogers/Shaw/Bell/Telus realize that they have been screwing Canadians for years and stop hiking rates! Shaw just served notice of a forthcoming rate hike in August. No wonder people are cutting the cord and buying Android boxes, using Netflix, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:30 pm 

Just once I'd like to see Rogers/Shaw/Bell/Telus realize that they have been screwing Canadians for years and stop hiking rates! Shaw just served notice of a forthcoming rate hike in August. No wonder people are cutting the cord and buying Android boxes, using Netflix, etc.[/quote]
They know quite well they are screwing Canadians, they just don't care,never have, never will.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:35 pm 

JGP wrote:
I agree that there is a unrealistic cost now for Sat or Digital Cable (whatever you want to call it). I am paying a fortune to have the privilege to have very few stations today. My TiVo from Rogers teases me everyday with all the stations I don't get. The monopoly in the industry is making competition unfair.

Set up a TV antenna and tell Rogers to have a nice day.

There have been numerous discussions on CAM about TV antennas.
One great web site is http://www.TVFool.com
Enter a postal code, and it will show you the channels, signal strength and directionality of the OTA TV
channels in your area.

As for Bell, the CRTC should never have allowed one corporation to be a land phone, cell phone and internet service
provider - as well as own a TV channel and control its content (and AM radio stations).
Now TV shows, created by CTV, now have an interesting bias towards the use of Cell Phones.
Shows such as CTV's "The Social [Media]" are disguised infomercials.

Also, I'm not sure if the CRTC has allowed Bell to take over Manitoba Telecom.
But it is a bit confusing whether the CRTC acts in best interest of Canadians
or makes decisions to maximize revenue for Bell and Rogers.
Also, Rogers, Bell and Telus are all circling to take over Sask Tel.

BTW: The president of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association is the former premier of New Brunswick,
Bernard Lord. Lord had contacts with Stephen Harper.
So the chief lobbyist for the cellular industry had contacts with the former PM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:56 pm 
Premium User

Uunderhill wrote:
JGP wrote:
I agree that there is a unrealistic cost now for Sat or Digital Cable (whatever you want to call it). I am paying a fortune to have the privilege to have very few stations today. My TiVo from Rogers teases me everyday with all the stations I don't get. The monopoly in the industry is making competition unfair.

Set up a TV antenna and tell Rogers to have a nice day.

There have been numerous discussions on CAM about TV antennas.
One great web site is http://www.TVFool.com
Enter a postal code, and it will show you the channels, signal strength and directionality of the OTA TV
channels in your area.

As for Bell, the CRTC should never have allowed one corporation to be a land phone, cell phone and internet service
provider - as well as own a TV channel and control its content (and AM radio stations).
Now TV shows, created by CTV, now have an interesting bias towards the use of Cell Phones.
Shows such as CTV's "The Social [Media]" are disguised infomercials.

Also, I'm not sure if the CRTC has allowed Bell to take over Manitoba Telecom.
But it is a bit confusing whether the CRTC acts in best interest of Canadians
or makes decisions to maximize revenue for Bell and Rogers.
Also, Rogers, Bell and Telus are all circling to take over Sask Tel.

BTW: The president of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association is the former premier of New Brunswick,
Bernard Lord. Lord had contacts with Stephen Harper.
So the chief lobbyist for the cellular industry had contacts with the former PM.

On the Manitoba Telecom thing, MTS was split into 2 entities, the Allstream data transfer infrastructure was sold to an American firm that promptly fired or forced into early retirement most of the staff (my sister was in middle management and is being forced into early retirement on the 29th, thus losing the last 4 most lucrative years of her retirement plan) and subcontracted many other positions and the provincial Telecom part was sold to Bell. So yes, that is a done deal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next