Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:37 am 
Premium User

I recently replaced a 12-yr old InFocus 1080i projector (the 7205) with the Epson LS-10000. The inFocus is a DLP and one of the first that did HD. I paid $13K for it. Performed flawlessly the whole time I owned it. All I had to do was replace the lamp 4 times.

Although it does 1080i, the image quality is probably poorer than the cheapest 1080P projectors sold today. Also, the fan is very noisy (never got around to building a hush box). On the plus side, it warmed my basement HT nicely. :lol:

If I could get $200 for my "$13K" projector I would take it.

My advice is to buy an inexpensive but high performing factory refurb DLP for many, many years of family fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:35 am 

It's all about picking the right projector - look at the owner, look at how the projector was used - how often, if it was cleaned regularly, etc.

I got an amazing deal a couple of years ago on Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector here on CAM. Projector barely had a few hundred hours on them, and came with brand new OEM Panasonic bulb assembly. The owner was knowledgeable, cleaned air filter regularly, etc.

The projector still works like a charm, and was properly calibrated for my room. For those who say that one type (DLP) is superior to another (LCD) - that's a load of crap. One technology is not superior to another; each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. Just read the specific model reviews - i.e. my Panasonic got amazing reviews everywhere, including accuracy of the colors and image quality when calibrated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:14 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

LCD has problems with the UV filter, it is too close to the blue spectrum.

In front of the bulb, there is a glass filter piece that is coated to remove UV light. The UV is not totally removed, and some of the UV spectrum impacts upon the blue light panel, which is to be first to encounter the full spectrum of light from the bulb, as the other colors are separated out, later on in the optical engine. The blue panels is the same as the red and green panels.

The low level UV exposure slowly degrades the blue panel.

The panels are arranged around an optical block and all three are critically aligned together on a jig, at the manufacturing level. It is totally impractical to try and realign a 1080P+ LCD optical block, by hand. Meaning, getting a new panel and trying to fix the pink lighted LCD projector --is not a thing that will happen any time soon. I've personally played with that sort of attempt three times- and failed. And I'm mechanically very handy. Modern LCD projectors have their panels glued into place so they can't be played with, nor repaired.

Even the Sony 4k projectors are suffering from panel damage (only hundreds of hours old and they are $10K projectors!), or stories on contrast loss that smell exactly like this well known panel damage issue.

The higher the lumen count of the LCD projector, the faster the blue panel will fail.

The older the bulb in the projector, the longer the arc and the more UV light it emits. Old bulbs kill the Blue panel in LCD projectors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:05 pm 

I have two Mitsubishi HC5 projectors, one in the bedroom and one in my ht/2 channel main system. I am not sure how many hours are on the bedroom projector as it doesn't see much use and is more of a back up but the one in the main system has 1014 hours on the original bulb and the picture is still good. It is not as bright as with a new bulb but the black level and contrast look fine. I have read about the sxrd panels degrading after 500 hours but I have not seen this with either of my projectors. Maybe I am just lucky but I seldom use either projector for more than 4hours at a time. I also check and clean the air filter regularly.

I like the picture so much that I have two hc5's and 3 spare bulbs. Hopefully they will last a long time. Maybe I should replace the bulb just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:07 pm 

I found the hard ways that most replacement lamp are never as bright and as good as the original. so ounce you burn that first lamp, most likely the new bulb will not performe as good as the original lamp.
the last projector I bought was $275 us. cross my finger it is still running after 4 year. same lamp. it is a cheap one but I don t care . when it will blow up. I will trough it in the garbage and spend another $275.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:13 pm 

Buying used is the same story as usual, do your own homework, I bought a used projector and it has worked beautifully from day one to now.. the only reason I would let it go is to buy a 4K projector... and it would be used... pick up a $15000 2 year old for less than $5,000.... can't beat that.... just do your homework

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:16 pm 

Yes, that is why I haven't replaced the original one yet. I am nervous about a bulb exploding and damaging my projector. Mitsubishi no longer carries parts for it and they cost $1650 for the new one and $1200 for the used one. So far, so good.

I had an Infocus IN76 (?) DLP projector that went through two bulbs and three fuses in one month. The fuse was soldered to the board on the inside, what a pain. I soldered two wires to the board and connected them to a fuse holder outside the case. But after 2 more blown fuses the projector went to the dump. It's too bad because even though it was only 720p, the colours and picture looked good when it was working.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:10 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Albert wrote:
I have two Mitsubishi HC5 projectors, one in the bedroom and one in my ht/2 channel main system. I am not sure how many hours are on the bedroom projector as it doesn't see much use and is more of a back up but the one in the main system has 1014 hours on the original bulb and the picture is still good. It is not as bright as with a new bulb but the black level and contrast look fine. I have read about the sxrd panels degrading after 500 hours but I have not seen this with either of my projectors. Maybe I am just lucky but I seldom use either projector for more than 4hours at a time. I also check and clean the air filter regularly.

I like the picture so much that I have two hc5's and 3 spare bulbs. Hopefully they will last a long time. Maybe I should replace the bulb just in case.

You have an SXRD, which is technically, as a descriptor, same as the Sony designs. But, the design predates the 4k design, and that degradation issue that seems to be happening in the 4k designs, is not being reported in the older units. (that's as deep as my knowledge goes on that one, Having not looked at projector design and build for a few years)

As for others with possible issues when trying to get a new bulb...
Bulb shopping is a tricky affair and requires homework to be sure the bulb itself, is from a reputable supplier/brand. Good ones don't necessarily cost a whole lot more than the inexpensive ones. It can sometimes require research and buying the bare bulb.... and swapping out the bulb housing over to the new bulb. The essential point is buying an authentic bulb, as cheaper less well made bulbs abound.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 am 

All as been said is excellent, for the model your looking for in forums and feedback about parts and repair.
Most of theses parts are rare and custom are only available for 5 year top. After that??
I know that projector lamps and other parts fail, they need a care and TLC once in a while.
Experienced with 3 to 6 projectors ran 24/7 for network surveillance and most lamps goes yes, but power supply to go too
And they go bang and carry everything else with it inside..... so for home OK, but still manufacturer are not so supportive after warranty goes.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:28 am 

It is good to know that my projectors probably won't have panel degradation issues. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 am 

I just bought a brand new BenQ w1090 at best buy for $699. 1080p, 3d, smart eco mode extends lamp life up to 6000 hours. It looks fantastic on my 100 inch screen. Hard to beat a price like that, even used.