Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:17 pm 

I'm putting together a media room. Mostly music focused but also for movies. I plan to have a ceiling mounted projector with retractable screen. To save money, I originally thought to buy a used projector. But, I have read numerous warnings to beware or simply avoid used projectors for a variety of reasons. My main concern is reliability/longevity. Any comments or experiences from those who've purchased second hand? Would you do it again?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:00 pm 

A couple years ago I purchased an Epson 8350 refurb directly from Epson for around $900. In the first year the iris failed, and they replaced it for me, and covered shipping. I didn't miss a beat since they shipped first. How can you beat that?

There's a risk buying a used projector. They only last so long (I've owned a handful, new and used). Eventually you will get a colour shift somewhere on the screen, usually pink, or illumination won't be as even. If you buy used, it's probably going to be like that from the start. At least with a new one you can (usually) count on a few years of bright, trouble-free usage.

Lamp life is another issue. Lumens drop considerably at half life. A lamp could set you back almost as much as the used projector, so in the end there isn't a lot of savings, IMO.

But if you find a local deal on a lightly used unit that you can test before purchase, it would be worth considering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:07 pm 

I do quite a bit of work with projectors professionally.

Don't even consider buying a used LCD projector. The panels in them have a very short life and all will degrade into awful chromatic aberration. For that matter, don't consider buying a new one either if you like accuracy.

DLP technology is far superior in longevity and colour rendering, so you could take your chances here.

Regardless, add the price of a new bulb to the price of any used projector as it should be immediately replaced----trust me on this one.

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm 
Premium User

I agree with NealC on the DLP vs LCD thing as well as avoiding used projectors in most cases. Projector prices have dropped dramatically in recent years and performance has shot up to the point that today's sub $1k DLP projectors way outperform a used 5 year old $5k projector. I just saw an $800 or so 1080p Benq DLP projector at my landlord's place a few weeks ago that was absolutely stunning compared to the TOTL 5 year old Epson it replaced (it was needing its 3rd replacement lamp). In a normally lit room it actually outperformed the Epson that had to be operated in near darkness with brighter colors, better contrast and definition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:56 pm 

Hi,

After buying a 10 year old high end JVC projector, then a new bulb, I bought a refurbished Epson 720HD from http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H558020-N&ref=sem_ca-cse-google-shopping&wm_ctID=475&wm_kwID=58408186&wm_mtID=234&wm_kw=Google+Shopping&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=shopping+portal&utm_term=google+shopping&utm_campaign=ca+-+cse+-+google+shopping&zmam=71433176&zmas=2&zmac=14&zmap=V11H558020-N&wm_ctID=475&wm_kwID=&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=51822855270&wm_g_kw=&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&wm_g_device=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyum6BRDQ-9jU4PSVxf8BEiQAu1AHqrISZmbfN3meFtsx3GzqFQ1fK2ZLDdQqsY3NS_llT9EaAr_X8P8HAQ&wm_sd=1,

It was a fantastic upgrade specifically in low light and very inexpensive. There are obviously better projectors, but for this money...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:29 pm 

There are some gems out there on the used projector markets. To be fair whether you're buying used or new it'll always pay to do your research first and get familiar with them before pulling the trigger. In my case, I was very lucky to find a used Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector in excellent condition and on top of that it came with 2 spare bulbs for 1/10 of its retail price.

Last edited by tube54 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:22 am 

The impression I'm getting from this forum and other internet chatter is that, as a general rule, projectors don't last too long. Its also not the first time I've head the DLP vs LCD argument. Basically it seems to me like spending a lot of money on a projector new or used doesn't make sense (to me). I'm not as fussy about my video as I am my audio.

I was at a dealer earlier this week and they were encouraging a new Epson Pro Cinema 4030. While it looked like a good piece, $2700 is definitely more than I'm hoping to pay. Sounds like there may be much less expensive options that will Give me a nice picture (I don't need anything more than 1080p)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:16 am 
Premium User

I'd look at this like any other household budget expense then. Figure out what your budget is and what you expect a projector to last you for. Add your projected lamp replacement costs and divide by the number of years you expect to get out of it. That will give you an estimated yearly cost.

So, lets say you expect to get 5 years out of a projector that meets your video quality requirements and you budget $500 a year ($40 a month), you should be looking at a $2k projector and about $500 worth of replacement lamps over the 5 year period. Or you can look at a $2.5k projector that needs no replacement bulbs over 5 years. Or a $1.5k projector that needs $1k worth of replacement bulbs over 5 years. Or a $1k projector that requires no replacement bulbs over 5 years would mean a $200 a year budget or $17 a month.

Price out a few different budget scenarios at different price points depending on the brands you have available locally, then physically look at the picture quality for each model. If you intend on treating this purchase as a commodity item instead of a cost-no-object purchase, then don't neglect to check out the big box stores, then price shop your local resellers who can sometimes match or come pretty darn close on price AND offer better service.

This does not include the price of a screen BTW.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:27 am 

FWIW, I have an LG AH215 DLP projector. I bought it when I was overseas so it may be difficult to find here. If you can find one I think it is great. I have had it for about 7 or 8 years now. I do not use it much (still on the original lamp), but the picture is great and I have never had any issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:41 am 

I've had 3 projectors all LCD over he years.

I've never managed to be comfortable buying used.

All the comments so far are valid.

Obviously this doesn't mean you can never get a good used purchase
buts it's hard enough to pick one as it is let alone worrying about how many
Hours it actually has on it etc.

To someone else's point about the progress of technology, I recently got an Epson 3500 that for less
than any of my previous units is stunningly bright - albeit only 1080P.

Given this is CAM I must remind you to check
the noise levels versus where you are mounting it.

As I'm sure you appreciate the difference between
a unit that runs at 23db versus 21db is big. Especially if your
finicky w.r.t background noise

Good luck

Deep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:14 am 
Premium User

deepreel wrote:
I've had 3 projectors all LCD over he years.

I've never managed to be comfortable buying used.

All the comments so far are valid.

Obviously this doesn't mean you can never get a good used purchase
buts it's hard enough to pick one as it is let alone worrying about how many
Hours it actually has on it etc.

To someone else's point about the progress of technology, I recently got an Epson 3500 that for less
than any of my previous units is stunningly bright - albeit only 1080P.

Given this is CAM I must remind you to check
the noise levels versus where you are mounting it.

As I'm sure you appreciate the difference between
a unit that runs at 23db versus 21db is big. Especially if your
finicky w.r.t background noise

Good luck

Deep

Great point about the noise Deep; something I would never had thought about, especially as the OP seems to be more concerned with audio quality than video.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:57 pm 

Buying second hand projectors really depends on the price. If the price is markedly less than new, then consider it. Also, be aware that a new projector is quite inexpensive. For example, people try to sell used 50 inch plasma flat screens for $1500 to $2000...for that you can buy a new 55 inch 4K tv. Same for projectors.

So price becomes the main factor for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:20 pm 

I am happy with the refurbished projector I purchased from Consignia. It came with a new bulb and a new lens, and it was in mint condition. I purchased the Optoma HD86 about three and a half years ago.

http://www.consignia.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:11 pm 

My first projector was a used Infocus IN76 dlp projector. When it worked it looked great (even at 720p) but it kept blowing an internal fuse that had to be unsoldered from the circuit board. What a stupid design, so I soldered a couple wires to the board and positioned a fuse holder outside of the unit. Two more fuses within a month and I gave up on it. I'd paid $500 for it.

I replaced it with a new Mitsubishi HC-5 SXRD (3 panels) projector. Better picture and no problems in the past few years that I have had it. The only down side is that Mitsubishi doesn't make them any more and it is difficult to find parts for repairs so I bought a second used one off of ebay as a back up in my bedroom system. They both have worked great so far. I also bought 3 extra bulbs as spares just in case they also become hard to find.

In a darkened room for 2D the HC-5 is still hard to beat but they weren't cheap either ($3000 and $1700). Bulbs are around $300. These projectors were one of my best purchases, I love watching movies or music videos on the big screen. As for buying used, it is good to do your research but it is still a gamble. Being able to get it serviced later is a factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:34 pm 

Thanks for all of the feedback!

:D