Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:37 am 

Hi,

I have run a cable from my receiver zone 3 about 200Ft down to my pool via ethernet. On one end I have wired the ethernet to a standard audio or RCA cable and the same on the other end. The cable goes into the AUX jack of my stereo at the pool which is an all in one JVC (old). I am getting a tremendous amount of distortion + the music when I go to play the music. I'm wondering if you can run a cable that long without distortion or if its just that I have a cheap all in one unit that needs a real receiver on it. The distortion happens even if the music isn't playing, just really loud feedback.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:37 am 

scarpentier wrote:
Hi,

I have run a cable from my receiver zone 3 about 200Ft down to my pool via ethernet. On one end I have wired the ethernet to a standard audio or RCA cable and the same on the other end. The cable goes into the AUX jack of my stereo at the pool which is an all in one JVC (old). I am getting a tremendous amount of distortion + the music when I go to play the music. I'm wondering if you can run a cable that long without distortion or if its just that I have a cheap all in one unit that needs a real receiver on it. The distortion happens even if the music isn't playing, just really loud feedback.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue? :shock:

Balanced cables (i.e. XLR) were designed specifically for this very issue.

With an unbalanced cable, maybe try clamping ferrite cores every 10' or something?

Or shield the entire cable in something that suppresses the RFI noise you;re picking up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:24 am 
Premium User

Are you running Ethernet or RCAs? This is not clear in your post.

Ethernet is used for digital signals up to around 1000 feet and uses RJ-45 connectors. RCA cables are shielded for analog use in your type of setup and have a useful spec limit of around 10 to 20 feet before distortion starts to set in. Ethernet cable cannot be directly used with RCA plugs. To use it, you would need an Analog to Digital converter with an Ethernet output at the HT receiver end if your Zone 3 outputs are RCA and a Digital to Analog converter with an Ethernet input at the other end to convert the signal back inti the Analog format that your stereo receiver can use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:36 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Ethernet is used for digital signals up to around 1000 feet and uses RJ-45 connectors.

Cat 5e and Cat 6a are good for 100 meters or about 325 feet. Regular Cat 6 is only good for 55 meters. Not that it matters for most residential applications which are short runs. Sorry but I just could not help myself. I have to point out incorrect technical information. Perhaps I need help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:41 am 

OBI56 wrote:

Ethernet is used for digital signals up to around 1000 feet and uses RJ-45 connectors. RCA cables are shielded for analog use in your type of setup and have a useful spec limit of around 10 to 20 feet before distortion starts to set in. Ethernet cable cannot be directly used with RCA plugs. To use it, you would need an Analog to Digital converter with an Ethernet output at the HT receiver end if your Zone 3 outputs are RCA and a Digital to Analog converter with an Ethernet input at the other end to convert the signal back inti the Analog format that your stereo receiver can use.

Actually you can just solder some RCA connectors to the wires inside an Ethernet cable.

I believe 200' is too long for unbalanced audio signal regardless.

Technically you can use ethernet terminated with 8p8c ends (mistakenly referred to as RJ45) for data runs up to 300'.

-- 03 Jun 2016 16:46 --

GuySmiley wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
Ethernet is used for digital signals up to around 1000 feet and uses RJ-45 connectors.

Cat 5e and Cat 6a are good for 100 meters or about 325 feet. Regular Cat 6 is only good for 55 meters. Not that it matters for most residential applications which are short runs. Sorry but I just could not help myself. I have to point out incorrect technical information. Perhaps I need help.

Cat 6 is good for 100m with 10/100/1000, and only 55m with 10GBase-T.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:47 am 

This is your most cost effective solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAT-530-5-8GHz- ... 0509131281

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 am 

OBI56 wrote:

I used an Ethernet cable for the run. I then spliced and wired it up to an RCA cable on either end. Is there another way to run audio over ethernet?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:51 am 

These could work with the existing Ethernet cable, just need 8p8c ends.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/M ... 5-/50-7725

Quote:
Maximum distance: 1000' (assumes Cat5)
Bandwidth: 10Hz ~ 50KHz
Utilizes two Cat5 cable pairs: •Red: Pin 1/2 •White: Pin 3/6.
Dimensions (excluding connectors): 0.85" (H) x 1.69" (W) x 1.94" (L)
Sold individually, must be used in pairs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:55 am 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Actually you can just solder some RCA connectors to the wires inside an Ethernet cable.

I believe 200' is too long for unbalanced audio signal regardless.

Technically you can use ethernet terminated with 8p8c ends (mistakenly referred to as RJ45) for data runs up to 300'.

-- 03 Jun 2016 16:46 --

GuySmiley wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Cat 6 is good for 100m with 10/100/1000, and only 55m with 10GBase-T.

I wired mine up similar to the picture; however I used four wires for each connection instead of two. Should I just use two wires for each RCA connection (2 for white and 2 for red) and then leave the other four alone or is it OK to use 4 for white and 4 for red thus running the audio for positive and negative over two wires instead of one. The wire is already burried and is using Cat5e gel filled outdoor wire.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:11 am 

2 over 4 should nlot make much difference.
What would make a difference is which actual wires you used.
Cat 5 (or 6) uses 'twisted' pairs of wires.
The twists reduce noise and allow for such long runs for data transmission.
OIt is possible that using a different combination of wires could result in more/less noise.

I would just stick with using 2 wires per side, not 4.

Even better would be using the wireless transmitters or the cat 5 balun I linked.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:32 am 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
2 over 4 should nlot make much difference.
What would make a difference is which actual wires you used.
Cat 5 (or 6) uses 'twisted' pairs of wires.
The twists reduce noise and allow for such long runs for data transmission.
OIt is possible that using a different combination of wires could result in more/less noise.

I would just stick with using 2 wires per side, not 4.

Even better would be using the wireless transmitters or the cat 5 balun I linked.

I'll try that then maybe the wireless. It may even be the receiver since its pretty old/cheap. even when I hook up an AUX cable to it there is background noise. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:11 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Move the pool closer to the house.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:11 am 

RDL and Rolls both make unbalanced RCA type to balanced converters. Typically you will find this stuff, possibly from catalog, at your local Music instrument shop.

You will need a send/receive device at each end. Canadian distribution by Erikson.

In a standard Cat 5 type wire you have enough wires to make this work and at the end of the day, signal to noise will be reasonable if not ideal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:57 am 

julesaudio wrote:
RDL and Rolls both make unbalanced RCA type to balanced converters. Typically you will find this stuff, possibly from catalog, at your local Music instrument shop.

You will need a send/receive device at each end. Canadian distribution by Erikson.

In a standard Cat 5 type wire you have enough wires to make this work and at the end of the day, signal to noise will be reasonable if not ideal.

Do you mean something like this?
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/M ... -/555-8485

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:10 pm 

Do you pick up your wireless network at your pool area? My phone doesn't disconnect from my home network until well past 200 ft from the house. Perhaps your solution is in a wireless receiver at the pool and leave the zone feature out of the process altogether