Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pricing Equipment
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:45 am 

My wife and I are downsizing and right now we have a full home theater set up in our basement as well as very nice set up in an upstairs room.

The system upstairs is relatively gently used as mostly in recent years we have watched downstairs. This system that is now surplus to my needs since we are downsizing is comprised of:

- a Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD Gas Plasma television with a Pioneer Elite PRO-RO6U media receiver

- A Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI HDMI DVD player

- A Yamaha YSP-100 Digital Sound Projector

- An Energy 8" Powered Sub-woofer

I have to say though that I struggled with where to price this equipment. The gas plasma has a stunning picture with great colour and amazing detail in the blacks. It blows away the larger LED television downstairs. LEDs tend to be relatively harsh...sharp but almost painfully so. The gas plasma is much warmer and pleasant to watch. Its like some audio equipment that is simply more pleasant to listen to, more musical if that is a quality. The visual equivalent of that is what the Pioneer Elite picture has...it has qualities that cannot be measured but are simply more pleasing. This set looks as good today as the day it was bought, and this set is not made anymore. Newer does not always mean better. From my perspective, this set has real value.

So when you go to sell it ...what is an appropriate price.

The DVD player will not play blu rays so that is clearly a limiting factor, but again this player is built like its ready to go to war. You can pick up a new player that will play blu rays for about $80...but they are largely disposables. So again, where do you price something like this.

The audio components, worked very well in the room in which the system resides. While not really high end, I have been more than satisfied with how they have performed.

At the core of it, this is equipment that I have really enjoyed owning...I hate to let it go, and while I would like to get a price for it, almost equally I would take pleasure if knowing that it is going to someone that will appreciate them, for the quality components they are. In the end this is all just stuff. My wife thinks that this attachment to technology is a guy thing.

Not really looking for an answer....just sharing my dilemma.

Post subject: Re: Pricing Equipment
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:10 pm 

It sounds like you are trying to price your emotional attachment to the HT stuff. At the end of the day, it still just a bunch of electronics and used electronics at that. Guys have the same issue with old cars. They price them for the emotional attachment/ memories they have around the car.

The reality is that electronics have advanced and current top of the line gear will be better than your old stuff. Not to say that what you have is bad, far from it, but times have moved on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:28 pm 

You can find out what these items have sold for before to get a general idea. Google the model number and then add site:canuckaudiomart.com at the end of the search string. You can also check the completed items on the auction site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:30 pm 

The television is over 10 years old - plasma has a limited life span and the technology has faded. Basically take the cheapest 50 inch LCD/LED TV selling today - cut that price in half and I doubt the TV will fetch more than that. So maybe $250. It is possible you will get more but at 10 years old+ and being a plasma if the buyer buys it and it fails what will it cost him to repair it? If I am a buyer I would take a pass.

The DVD player is worth maybe $20-$40. The fact is you can buy a Blu Ray player that will play DVD for $50 and probably has better picture quality or at least as good picture quality for DVD. It's the age - again these players are around 10 years old. Disc spinners have a finite life. Would I buy a 10 year old DVD only player for $40 or a brand new with dull warranty (some brands give 2-3 years) for $10 more or buy a Sony PS4 which will do it all and likely do all of it better.

I think you'll be disappointed with what you will get so if you can I would try and keep it somehow - wall mount the TV etc. The DVD player you could donate to a senior center or women's shelter etc.

Receivers are basically worthless - the proicessor is selling for $45 http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Ya ... 41272.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:36 am 

Unfortunately surround gear drops hard in price given the technology evolves constantly much like computers... Currently I could replace my Lexicon separates for around 10% of msrp...
Just seen a MC12b for $900, this was a 12k+ piece back in the day....at this point I'd be better off including it as added value in the resale of my house...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
It sounds like you are trying to price your emotional attachment to the HT stuff. At the end of the day, it still just a bunch of electronics and used electronics at that. Guys have the same issue with old cars. They price them for the emotional attachment/ memories they have around the car.

The reality is that electronics have advanced and current top of the line gear will be better than your old stuff. Not to say that what you have is bad, far from it, but times have moved on.

+1

The harsh reality is that selling this type of HT gear will be no easy task. It's worth zip on a dealer trade-in, and if you are serious about actually moving it privately here or Kijiji or wherever, be prepared that buyer offers you can expect will likely be appreciably lower than you first thought.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:54 am 

I would try to find somewhere else to use it or donate it/ give it to somebody you know that would really appreciate it (friend, relative, etc). In the end I think you would feel better doing that than selling it to somebody for next to nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:37 am 

Richard Austen wrote:
The television is over 10 years old - plasma has a limited life span and the technology has faded. Basically take the cheapest 50 inch LCD/LED TV selling today - cut that price in half and I doubt the TV will fetch more than that. So maybe $250. It is possible you will get more but at 10 years old+ and being a plasma if the buyer buys it and it fails what will it cost him to repair it? If I am a buyer I would take a pass.

The DVD player is worth maybe $20-$40. The fact is you can buy a Blu Ray player that will play DVD for $50 and probably has better picture quality or at least as good picture quality for DVD. It's the age - again these players are around 10 years old. Disc spinners have a finite life. Would I buy a 10 year old DVD only player for $40 or a brand new with dull warranty (some brands give 2-3 years) for $10 more or buy a Sony PS4 which will do it all and likely do all of it better.

I think you'll be disappointed with what you will get so if you can I would try and keep it somehow - wall mount the TV etc. The DVD player you could donate to a senior center or women's shelter etc.

Receivers are basically worthless - the proicessor is selling for $45 http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Ya ... 41272.html

The TV is ten years old, but a much more important aspect to consider is the number of hours on the display. Someone who would potentially be interested in this TV understands this, plus this was a very highly regarded display built to unusually high standards. These Pioneer Elite plasma sets are still sought after today if in top condition with low hours. Yes, you will still only recoup a very small fraction of the original selling price, but these sets will fetch a higher percentage on the used market than almost any other in it's category, due to their stellar reputation for durability and picture quality. My friends Elite plasma is now 13 years old and is on 8-10 hours a day and still works flawlessly. It needed one minor repair about 7 years ago, $300 mostly labour. Like I said you won't get all that much, but enough to make it worth your while to list it, something that cannot be said about most displays of that vintage.

The Universal DVD player is also much more than a simple basic DVD player. It handles both DVD-Audio and SACD, and at a very high level, It is also built like a tank. Again not going to get much more than a fraction of the original price, but these units still sell for considerably more than the $20 to $40 suggested. Some direct knowledge of the specific models and not some general comments would be much more helpful. And from a professional reviewer no less, :)

As was suggested by another poster, a little time and a little Googling skill and you can easily find any available information concerning the used selling prices of your specific models. Make your pricing decisions accordingly.

Now, much more interesting than all of that. Why does High End's post count still read zero?