Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 am 

I was looking at the newest from Marantz AV7702mkii,it has Dolby Atmos and is HDCP 2.2 compliant (copy protection for 4K UHD content)........and the AV8801 is pre/ Atmos and is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. Is the AV8801 a good value? There are used ones for sale ,but for an extra
$800 I could get the newest technology in the AV7702mkii? your thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:28 am 

Home theatre standards are always being updated - only the very well off can keep up with this. You don't need the latest and greatest for good HT - eg a 5.1 dvd based setup can still kick butt when using quality components and careful setup.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 am 

If you can swing the budget, everybody says the 7702MkII is superior to the 8801 in *most* ways, even including Marantz. And that means sonically too. I have never compared the two directly myself. But I have used the 7702 and it's the model I would buy, unless I decided to swing the 8802, which I probably wouldn't for the reasons already inferred...it's a large premium for something in a field that changes rapidly e.g. 7702>8801 in just a few years.

I have been waffling on the 7702 for a couple years. Reason is, I don't like its looks. That's mostly all, and waiting for DTS:X (I have no confidence in anything Dolby when it comes to sonics for movies) i.e. MkII. Dumb eh? I hate that porthole, many love it. It wouldn't keep me from buying, it's just while waiting for DTS:X to get "out there" I keep hoping they'll get rid of it and go back to looking more like the Denons.

No hurry for me, I like what I have for movies, but when I compare it to my stereo system audio, it's a league lower at least. It's the horrible/obscuring preamp output circuitry they put in almost all AVRs and in some of the previous Marantz pre-pros too (some were even worse than their AVRs, so what was the point? ..."pretend" balanced outputs I think).

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 pm 

thks for the advice......I ended up getting a blowout deal on a Anthem AVM60.........Im hoping it is as good as the Marantz.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 am 

^ It won't have all the features, but it should have the SQ. No smaller manufacturer can compete on features (unless they "steal" a D/M HDMI board for their guts, like one did), but SQ and general build quality is where they can shine.

I went the other way from the Anthem (expensive!!) to the Denon (kinda cheap...) for the features (I have a complicated system). But that was when Marantz pre-pros were still mostly a joke, Denon had the only good one from the D/M group.

I would like to hear more about your AVM60 if/when you have the chance. I still haven't bought anything...still waffling...still not unhappy with what I have, if only it would go up in flames or something and I'd be forced to act...I really would like to improve the mch SQ to closer to the previous Anthem's ballpark.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:14 pm 

The Anthem AVM60 is better than the rest, it also has the best room corrections of the main manufacturers. DTS-X ready for most, ATMOS , they all have. Anthem is Canadian, as much as it can be, read made elsewhere.
The real high end boys do not have ATMOS yet nor DTS-X, only a couple do and they start at 10 grand.
Buy the processor versions, never buy a reciever version, they will never compare to separates. For real ATMOS, you only need 6 amps!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 pm 

I have my amp in at a local tech ,hopefully fixing the problem, or I may be shopping soon for a newer amp.......but will let you know how the Anthem works when I get my system up and running.