Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Android TV Box
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:59 am 

+2 on the Minix Neo X8-h plus, I also have two of them and echo audiofoolio's comments, especially on the air mouse. You can get apps to help control from a smartphone but there are a few limitations. The air mouse is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:05 am 

Make sure you have unlimited internet ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:12 am 

You can also use a Raspberry Pi to build a media payer.

-- 02 Apr 2016 16:13 --

dmitchell wrote:
Make sure you have unlimited internet ;-)

Highly recommended to have unlimited internet. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:35 am 

mjfn wrote:
Great move to get an android box. You may, in time, even ditch your cable/satellite tv subscription. Most android boxes come preloaded with Kodi but you have to do tinkering. There are many videos on YouTube that can help.

After sales support for the less expensive boxes is pretty well non-existent. I bought a box from a Canadian company that does a great job of programming their box and provides terrific ongoing technical support. Here's a link: http://stream-team.ca/ond-pro.html

Their box is significantly more expensive than most but, for me, the programming/support provided has made it worth it. I believe they will soon release an updated version of their box.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you for the link. I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while and getting rid of my dish. I was concerned about whether it would be difficult to set-up but the StreamTeam box looks the way to go even if it is a little more expensive than most. I just bought one off of Amazon.ca. Good-bye satellite dish tv!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:00 pm 

Albert wrote:
Thank you for the link. I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while and getting rid of my dish. I was concerned about whether it would be difficult to set-up but the StreamTeam box looks the way to go even if it is a little more expensive than most. I just bought one off of Amazon.ca. Good-bye satellite dish tv!

Glad it helped and congrats on pulling the trigger. You're going to love the viewing possibilities that the box will give you. If you get stuck, the StreamTeam support is excellent. Have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:05 pm 

Thank you all for your valuable info.

I did some shopping and some due diligence.

The MyGica from Costco(I have a Costco membership) and the Minix Neo X8-h plus that I could purchase through SHOP.COM(My GF Hillary Li is a shop consultant and there would be hell to pay if I purchased elsewhere) made the short list.
I also found out that Kodi software is very popular in Android(and other) TV Boxes and is free.
The Kodi people apparently rely on donations and sponsorship to keep going.
https://kodi.tv/
Minix is on the Kodi website as a Diamond Sponsor and I received an email from Kodi that reads:

"MyGica is not a sponsor. They’ve have shown interest but currently have not given us any donations."

So I plan to purchase at the earliest opportunity a Minix NEO X8-H Plus and if the Nvidia products weren't so pricey I'd consider one of those as well.

John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:32 pm 

I have had my Streamteam android tv box for a couple of weeks now and I like it a lot. It connected to my wifi with no problem and there are a ton of movies that stream at 720p. A few had problems with buffering but most played flawlessly. There is even cbc and ctv for the local stations so I really don't need my dish anymore. Good bye satellite TV!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:10 pm 

I have sold a fair share of Android boxes at my previous job and still recommend them to many.

The suggestion to try Kodi on a laptop is dead on. If you find using Kodi is not your bag, no loss. Maybe a Roku and the paid apps are the best value for you. Kodi is not perfect. Not all programming is in 1080p, and you may find it a bit of a hassle depending on what your background is.

Most any ones that have 2 gig of RAM will be good and the $51 ones you see on amazon.ca with 1gb of ram can work too. Wifi is good but connection via ethernet is faster and better. Not all Wi-Fi chips are of good quality compared to what can be offered with a hard line. If the modem is too far away, i suggest an Ethernet over AC box to get you hardwired to the internet.

I wouldnt bother with a box tho if you cant at least guarantee 5mbps download speed... usually customers who had issues were having buffering issues due to low band with. The higher the speed, the better the quality. Some add ons in Kodi have only 720 and 1080p films and shows... that is where a better spec'd box shines. These can be had for $80 and up.

The companies who sell "programmed boxes" are mostly adding add ons that are free and easy to install yourself using online instructions that are literally spelled out for you. It would take an evening to be able to learn how to program Kodi and support yourself. For those who dont want to do that, the programming can be of value - only if they back it up over time. If something messes up or you make a mistake, being able to get your box "reprogrammed" can be worth the extra value, and justify the higher prices. Sometimes there are added accessories or a hardware warranty included. Also available is applications outside of Kodi.

Android boxes allow you to use APK programs on your box to stream content as well. Showbox was popular. cCloud TV, Mobdro... they go on. Its pretty neat. I use an emulator on mine with a Microsoft controller and use my box to play 8 bit Nintendo games on my tv. Its a fun little box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:01 am 

Ive had a handful, they're ok. I have ones taped to the back of a couple tvs (Kitchen, bedroom, and 2 in the media room on other TVs), this way things can run easily without big computers or whatever. However, I'm slowly moving to Pi's and will eventually get the ODroid C2 (Its like a slightly more expensive pi with slightly better hardware).

Kodi is nice but plex is where it's at if you can figure out the storage.
Oh and one more thing, https://www.iptvsubs.is/ is a legitimately awesome IPTV service which works with both Kodi on PCs and set top boxes (almost every other provider locks it to the mac address of an android box so you often have to screw around to get it working on other devices or a PC)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:52 am 

Thanks for the iptv link, that looks very interesting!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:32 pm 

I have a magica android box and love it, I can watch all the latest movies, programs, music, music videos you name it, it's in there, don't need cable really with this

-- 17 Jun 2016 21:32 --