Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Android TV Box
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:17 am 

There are a lot of these boxes available on ebay and elsewhere.

I'm at a loss as to which one to purchase.

What's a good one to buy?

Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Is it easy to use?

Is it working well for you?

Is support available?

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Android TV Box
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:37 am 

Do you have a high speed internet connection? Can you run an ethernet cable to the TV? Do you use a smart phone? Most new TVs have these features built in.

Your last three questions suggest to me that Android box might not be for you. Basically, you have to be comfortable with technology, such as a smart phone as they both use similar systems.

I bought a Roku, which allows me to get the NFB, Netflix, Youtube, etc. However, you have a spend a bunch of time setting up accounts, giving credit card information online and so forth. I have a friend a few years older than myself, who is not very tech savvy. He bought an Apple TV. He never uses it, because going through the various links is not his thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:06 am 

Hi,

I looked at these a couple of years ago. Hmm. Basically an Android TV box will run Kodi (it was called XBMC during the development phase - 'x-box media console') on your TV. Before you spend the money on an Android TV box, first download Kodi (free) on to any computer you use and try it out. If you like it, then you can graduate to an Android box, where you will side-load Kodi as a program. There are lots of cheap Android boxes around - and many of them will give you trouble. The only one that is guaranteed to run Kodi 'seamlessly' is the OIYOU game console, which uses game controllers that are identical to the X Box. I bought one and sold it a few months later and never used it. The whole thing was turning into such a huge hassle. This is `digital gear-head`territory.

Apple TV and Roku are not Android TV boxes. They are digital media streaming devices - they do similar things, and they are much simpler to use, and if you want Netflix and a few other things then get one of them. But Kodi is a vastly more ambitious software device.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:19 am 

I bought one of these a few months ago:

https://www.amazon.ca/Android_4-4-Fully_Loaded-Quad_Core-XBMC_Kodi-Player/dp/B0171LL6MG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use Kodi on it with various add-ons that get me basically any content I want. Best 50 bucks on entertainment I've spent in a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm 

Quote:
Apple TV and Roku are not Android TV boxes.

Yes! However, as you indicate they are easier to use than the typical android box.
Reviews of android boxes basically make the same point that you do, they are not ready for the typical consumer.

Last edited by Vinyl Guy on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:02 pm 

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Quote:
Devices running special Custom versions of XBMC / Kodi exclusively, such as Rockhip will NOT be listed in this section as Kodi users eventually run into too many Kodi problems down the track and into the future when manufacturers abandon the hardware platform all too quickly.
Most Kodi devices triggering External media players to be even capable of video playback also fall into this category.

Be warned:
Hardware discussions (such as the Tronsmart S95) containing GPL2 Infringing XBMC versions from the VidOn company will not be tolerated in this thread and heavily moderated.
The XBMC / Kodi developers deserve utmost respect for the unpaid volunteer work they put into the XBMC / Kodi project and Parasitic companies like VidOn profiting from that unpaid work are not welcome at all on a Kodi forum.

Quote:
You need all the after sales support you can get with new Android Hardware. I cannot stress this enough.
The best Android device support comes from the 3 Kodi Diamond Sponsors - MINIX, nVIDIA and WeTek.
You get what you pay for with Android hardware devices.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:48 pm 

If you already have a laptop, why not just install the software and add-ons?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:52 pm 

zidane wrote:

If the laptop has an HDMI output, that'll work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:57 pm 

zidane wrote:

Then your laptop is tied up while you are watching TV.

I use a MyGica Box, pre loaded with all you need...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:02 pm 

+1 for mygica ,Costco sells them

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:33 pm 

my wife figured out Apple tv, really not hard at all and the new ones have siri. if you have any other Apple devices then perhaps take a look at them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:44 pm 

Great move to get an android box. You may, in time, even ditch your cable/satellite tv subscription. Most android boxes come preloaded with Kodi but you have to do tinkering. There are many videos on YouTube that can help.

After sales support for the less expensive boxes is pretty well non-existent. I bought a box from a Canadian company that does a great job of programming their box and provides terrific ongoing technical support. Here's a link: http://stream-team.ca/ond-pro.html

Their box is significantly more expensive than most but, for me, the programming/support provided has made it worth it. I believe they will soon release an updated version of their box.

Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:36 am 
Premium User

Minix! Definitely. Came programmed from supplier, hooked it up, watching new HD movies, in HD ,in minutes. No buffering. No shadows. Just full screen hi def content. Bit more expensive. I had a cheaper model . Not even close.

Don't know how long this phenomena is going to last as the forces are marshalling to shut them down.

Only draw back....trying to figure out how to get Football without cable.

The recent "low cost cable packages" were a slap in the face to the CRTC. This type of service will pass away, in a year or so; and probably with it the genesis of streaming based, buy what you want TV services, but only if CRTC wakes up, and the cable companies start seriously losing money.

Cut the Cable!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 am 

I have the minix neo x8-h plus great little unit.

A killer unit is the Nvidia Shield. A little expensive.

The google nexus player is very interesting however it's sold out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:48 am 

+1 on the Minix Neo X8-h plus.

I'm using 2 of them and they're a solid unit. https://www.amazon.ca/MINIX-X8-H-Smart-Streaming-Player/dp/B00T57GCY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459605897&sr=8-2&keywords=minix+neo+x8-h+plus

Look for one that includes the Neo A2 air mouse remote control. It offers a keyboard on the rear which makes it easier to enter the info for add-on installations than the basic remote.

According to what I've read, for HD streaming, a unit with 2 GB RAM is essential to minimize buffering.

There are a number of very helpful Kodi groups on Facebook and other forums that can give you some direction and help to diagnose issues you may be encounter, performance tweaks, etc.

Once you've downloaded the KODI app from Playstore you can then check out seo-michael.co.uk for easy to follow directions for various add-ons.

The benefit to this is that you're directed to the proper repositories to install them. Preloaded boxes may have sourced the add-ons from different repositories and they may not update or result in broken repositories/add-ons over time.

A few friends have purchased preloaded boxes and ended up with issues on them and we ended up wiping the unit and doing a fresh start. It allowed us to omit unnecessary add-ons and keep the installation streamlined.

Basically if you can enter a URL and follow simple instructions, you're away!

Good luck and if you have questions, feel free to PM me.