Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 pm 
Premium User

Albert wrote:
Kenc wrote:
I still have a copy of Joe Kane's "A Video Standard" , a calibration and setup disc which was very pricey back in the day. If anyone wants to pick this up from me in the Toronto area, please pm. I also have to make sure I can find it.

I have been checking thrift stores every couple of weeks in Winnipeg and have only found a couple of discs so far. I have to travel 150 km to Winnipeg so I can't make it in any more often than that ($$).

I would be willing to buy that calibration disc if you can find it. Let me know if you decide to.

Hi,

I was offering at no cost to anyone who would like to pick it up locally with minimal hassle to me.
I do not want to go to the trouble of packing and shipping it.
If you like, send me a self-addressed, postage prepaid container for it and I will ship it to you at no additional cost.
Please PM if you would like to proceed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:11 pm 

I loved the Laser Disks. Read the Laser Disk Newsletter every month. I got into them because a local place rented them and he got all the Japanese imports which were letterboxed. First time I knew that VHS was cutting the sides off the movies to fit the TV 4:3 format.

What was really nice was after you loaded the LD the movie started in 2 seconds with no waiting. Also some of the movies had really interesting commentaries of the other audio tracks.

Still have about 50 LDs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 am 

Yeah yeah.. I've got a couple old LDs kicking around, my players died / were given away to people a couple years back now. I ripped 2 of them and still havent seen those ever show up elsewhere.
ANYWAYS
LDs are great because, Uncompressed Monaural Soundtracks <3 Many a film with a poor 5.1 upmix has been saved by snatching a copy of the original Mono Audio ripped from a LD.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:50 pm 

AVguy wrote:
I have thought about unloading all this stuff. I even put one of my kids to work to write down all the titles...I just haven't gotten around to it yet!

I'd love to see the titles! I have been purchasing discs recently when the prices have been right. I'm not necessarily looking for rare discs, but just some decent titles to help fill out my collection. I'm very interested to see your list!

And PS - I'm not too far from Ancaster.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:28 pm 

Albert wrote:
brf wrote:
I store my Laser Disks right beside my 8-Tracks.

I have around 20 titles somewhere in storage. If I can find them, they are yours for the asking.

Gee, that is very generous. Thanks!

Albert, check you pm, I have the laserdiscs in my possession. There are about 20 discs.

-- 09 Feb 2014 15:30 --

Albert wrote:
brf wrote:
I store my Laser Disks right beside my 8-Tracks.

I have around 20 titles somewhere in storage. If I can find them, they are yours for the asking.

Gee, that is very generous. Thanks!

Albert, I have the discs. There are 20. Shipping will be expensive. Do you still want them?

Thx. Brent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 pm 

Yes, I would like them. I didn't see your message so I'll send you a pm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 am 

Just to revive an old thread.

Does anyone know of a place that sells laserdisc's in the Toronto or surrounding areas?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:03 am 

I don't know anything about Toronto but most of mine were bought off CAM. I just lost out on 125 of them. I responded at 7:00 AM. but they were sold to someone else in the morning, probably locally. Shipping is expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 am 

I collect Laserdisc audio (and the occasional open matte or alternate cut) heavily.
Starting with the most basic aspect of laser disc, uncompressed stereo (or mono, we'll get to that) soundtracks were common place. As I said, stereo or mono.. many of these 1 or 2ch mixes are the original mixes, and NOT what you have on DVD or BluRay for the most part. Now most of the time its subtle, truly for someone whose a fan, collector, or just plain interested but other times its a new experience. Take Terminator, in the 90s James Cameron (during downtime between t2, true lies and the development of Titanic / his weird underwater fetish) had the audio from Terminator remixed from its original mono track. Great... only its really not. Its one of the weirdest, tinniest mixes Ive heard, with obvious sound effects clearly missing (club shootout, Reese's gun doesnt click satisfyingly), a ton of gun effects re done and just generally kind of a mess. The mono mix doesnt do any of this and it holds up gorgeously. Obviously it has never been released since. Oh if you want to blame someone, look up a man named Van Ling, Cameron trusts him to create the home video presentations from his 80s and 90s material.... maybe he should just let the guy do the behind the scenes documentaries which hes great at.

Laserdisc also had commentaries that have never since been reissued, nor probably will ever be due to rights issues. I also keep those.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:58 pm 

Albert wrote:
I don't know anything about Toronto but most of mine were bought off CAM. I just lost out on 125 of them. I responded at 7:00 AM. but they were sold to someone else in the morning, probably locally. Shipping is expensive.

Sorry, that was me.

I will be selling off some of the titles that are duplicates of what I already have, and things like Jazz performances that I am not interested in.

I am now looking for a Pioneer Elite in near mint condition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:55 pm 

I have a pioneer LD/6CD player and about 20 Laser disks. Any interest, contact me for details.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:02 pm 

Bandy wrote:
I have a pioneer LD/6CD player and about 20 Laser disks. Any interest, contact me for details.

PM sent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:12 pm 

classic recordings wrote:
Albert wrote:

Sorry, that was me.

I will be selling off some of the titles that are duplicates of what I already have, and things like Jazz performances that I am not interested in.

I am now looking for a Pioneer Elite in near mint condition.

I use a Pioneer Elite ld-s2 and a Pioneer CLD-97. I would be interested in your jazz ld if you are willing to ship.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:18 pm 

^
OK, I'll keep you updated. Let me know if you want to sell one of your players.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:34 pm 

Will do. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next