Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:31 pm 

I am just getting back into LD movies and am enjoying the search for discs. I bought a Pioneer CLD 990 LD player new in the early 80's to play CD's and LD movies but they cost so much (averaging $80) that I didn't buy very many discs.

Now that they have been overtaken by DVD and BlueRay the price of the used discs have fallen to acceptable levels, about the same as used LP's. I have upgraded my player to a Pioneer DVL 704 and the picture is actually pretty good on my 92" screen. The picture is almost as good as DVD but the audio is more dynamic and fuller, almost analog.

So I thought what the heck, I might as well go for it and bought a Pioneer Elite LD-S2 off epray as it is supposed to be about the best there is (next to a couple Japanese models that cost many thousands used). It hasn't been shipped yet so I am waiting for its arrival.

In the meantime I am buying a couple Laserdiscs a month to add to the collection. It is fun hunting for them, just like looking for used lp's.

Are there any other crazy people like me supporting this old technology?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:45 pm 

Albert wrote:
I am just getting back into LD movies and am enjoying the search for discs. I bought a Pioneer CLD 990 LD player new in the early 80's to play CD's and LD movies but they cost so much (averaging $80) that I didn't buy very many discs.

Now that they have been overtaken by DVD and BlueRay the price of the used discs have fallen to acceptable levels, about the same as used LP's. I have upgraded my player to a Pioneer DVL 704 and the picture is actually pretty good on my 92" screen. The picture is almost as good as DVD but the audio is more dynamic and fuller, almost analog.

So I thought what the heck, I might as well go for it and bought a Pioneer Elite LD-S2 off epray as it is supposed to be about the best there is (next to a couple Japanese models that cost many thousands used). It hasn't been shipped yet so I am waiting for its arrival.

In the meantime I am buying a couple Laserdiscs a month to add to the collection. It is fun hunting for them, just like looking for used lp's.

Are there any other crazy people like me supporting this old technology?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-a ... 26801.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:58 pm 

Cool! I guess I'm not the only one! Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

I still have 15 LDs, 1 "Video Single Disc" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Single_Disc) and a working Pioneer LD player. I keep them for nostalgia reasons.
However, I still enjoy watching (listen to?) Fantasia from Disney and I played it once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:07 pm 

I have 2 laser disc players (one donated to me from my cousin). I don't buy anymore since they take up more space to store. I plan on keeping the ones i still have including many box sets that were very expensive. I agree with you that the sound is better than dvd but changing disc is a pain. With blu-ray being superior in all regards, i have not played my laser disc in years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:58 pm 

Did they actually produce a big selection of LD movies? I always thought that type of media only lasted a very short time.
Are they 2 channel stereo only?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:05 pm 

If I am not mistaken there are about 40,000 titles on LD, some of them AC3 encoded (Dolby Digital). Not all players had AC3 output. I just use 2.1 as I don't really miss the surround channels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:06 pm 

I remember paying $100 for The Abyss when I was a kid.
A ton of money for me.

My dad still has all of them. I should pick them up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:14 pm 
Premium User

At my moving sale last spring, I sold my Pioneer Laserdisk player and 350 Laserdisks (over 100 still sealed) for $200 (found them all hidden behind the piano and suit of armour when we bought the townhouse). The variety, obscurity and rarity of many of the titles was mind boggling, many of them never even released on VHS or DVD. Picture quality was worlds beyond tape or even DVD, but IIRC the sound was strictly 2 channel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm 

Wow, I would have jumped all over that. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm 
Premium User

Albert wrote:
Wow, I would have jumped all over that. :(

It happened almost by accident Albert: a neighbor saw the box in the garage the first day of the sale (I didn't even remember it was there) and asked if that was what was really in the box. We opened it and it was, so we dug out the disks and when he saw the lot, I told him to make an offer. He hemmed and hawed and blurted out $200 and I said OK only because there was so much crap to get rid of and I just wanted to get rid of as much as I could. BTW, the upright piano (so new the plastic film on the keys was still there) also went for $200 and the suit of armour for $300.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 pm 

That's okay, I'm not really sad over what I never had. I was just kidding. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 am 

Yep! I still have and use (occasionally) my Sony. Have around 20 or so LD's. The grief I have with the sony is that is only composite/L/R or S-Video and the S-Video cable was lent out and it never came back. So the picture quality isn't what it could be.

Watched 'Until the end of the World' a Wim Wenders Film starring John Hurt last week. Quite the good soundtrack on this.

Interested in my list? There are some titles that I got as a 'lot' and will NEVER watch, so maybe some trades could be had.

Cheers!
Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:19 am 
Premium User

I have 120 Laser Discs here - lots of good titles, including many AC3/Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS soundtracks.
Near "the end" I also dumped my Yamaha LD player and grabbed a Pioneer CLD D604 (both sides play,etc.) as close as I could find to an Elite player at the time, as the industry was drying-up the supply of players to force people into the DVD format.
I even have a Rotel Dolby Digital decoder, with the RF input required to read AC3/Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks, AND the Monster cable with the DB25-to-six-RCA connectors to run from the Rotel's analogue output and plug into the 5.1 inputs on a processor or receiver. DTS used the optical output and that will work with any modern processor.

I have thought about unloading all this stuff. I even put one of my kids to work to write down all the titles...I just haven't gotten around to it yet!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 am 

I have a couple of LDs that have AC-3 soundtracks. These are released at the tail end of the LD era. If I understand correctly they embedded the digital AC-3 stream as an analog signal unlike what we have for DVD and Blu-ray. My player has the "AC-3 RF" output that goes to a receiver that can demodulate it. Pioneer actually made a AC-3 RF demodulator for receivers/pre. pro's that don't. I got one.

In approx. the same timeframe there are LDs that have DTS soundtrack and you only need a LD player that has a SPDIF output.

LDs were very expensive. However, back then (around early to mid 90's while I was living in Calgary) there are a couple of video rental shops with good selection of titles. I dropped quite a few bucks renting, non-stop. At one point I was renting both LDs and DVDs because the DVD selection was pretty dismal.

Last edited by QuadESL63 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.