Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:50 pm 

Albert wrote:
I am just getting back into LD movies and am enjoying the search for discs. I bought a Pioneer CLD 990 LD player new in the early 80's to play CD's and LD movies but they cost so much (averaging $80) that I didn't buy very many discs.

Now that they have been overtaken by DVD and BlueRay the price of the used discs have fallen to acceptable levels, about the same as used LP's. I have upgraded my player to a Pioneer DVL 704 and the picture is actually pretty good on my 92" screen. The picture is almost as good as DVD but the audio is more dynamic and fuller, almost analog.

So I thought what the heck, I might as well go for it and bought a Pioneer Elite LD-S2 off epray as it is supposed to be about the best there is (next to a couple Japanese models that cost many thousands used). It hasn't been shipped yet so I am waiting for its arrival.

In the meantime I am buying a couple Laserdiscs a month to add to the collection. It is fun hunting for them, just like looking for used lp's.

Are there any other crazy people like me supporting this old technology?

I have been a Laserdisc fan since the 90s. Currently I have an HLD-X9 running with a DVDO Iscan Duo on a plasma. Have my old Marantz DP-870 for AC3. Got a couple of CLD-99s for when the X9 dies.

I keep the system running for pure nostalgic reasons. These days I just buy the odd rare disc, mostly squeeze or DTS titles. The audio on DTS discs still blows me away. Picture quality on my system for the best mastered discs is virtually indistinguishable from DVD (to my eye).

Anyway, would love to hear from other people about their set up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 pm 

Well, I have been using the ld-s2 for a while now and I really enjoy concert videos through my 2 channel system. Video is connected to a DVDO Iscan VP50pro to a Mitsubishi HC-5 front projector and 106" screen.

I liked this so much I set up a second system in the bedroom with a Pioneer CLD-97 player, a second Mitsubishi HC-5 and a 92" screen. Love It!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:27 pm 

classic recordings wrote:
Just to revive an old thread.

Does anyone know of a place that sells laserdisc's in the Toronto or surrounding areas?

There is a pawn shop in mississauga that had a bunch of laserdisc movies. Certainly worth calling up before heading down.

If I can recall, they were located on hurontario and bristol. Cant remember the name, but it's in that plaza on the south-east corner. Buy N sell city. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:00 am 

Albert wrote:
Well, I have been using the ld-s2 for a while now and I really enjoy concert videos through my 2 channel system. Video is connected to a DVDO Iscan VP50pro to a Mitsubishi HC-5 front projector and 106" screen.

I liked this so much I set up a second system in the bedroom with a Pioneer CLD-97 player, a second Mitsubishi HC-5 and a 92" screen. Love It!

Nice. I just use a 42 inch plasma. Have been afraid to see the limitations of LD picture on a bigger display.

-- 24 Jul 2016 11:03 --

classic recordings wrote:
Just to revive an old thread.

Does anyone know of a place that sells laserdisc's in the Toronto or surrounding areas?

BMV Books on Bloor has a section of LDs. It is limited and mostly obscure (not in a good way) titles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 am 

About 5 years ago for kind of a joke my brother gave me an RCA video disc player and about 200 movies

The RCA video disc predated the laser disc and if I think just before vhs/beta video rentals.
That was the begining of the format wars, eventually beta/vhs won out. The RCA video disk player used a stylus.
The discs themselves came in a plastic jacket and you never actually handled the movie disk.
There were some cool titles in the movies like Close Encounters of the Third Kind, etc.
I remember renting the RCA video discs/player around 1981. At the time it was really awesome.

I hooked it up to my TV and the quality was pretty bad, not at all like I remembered.
The movies would have been good to decorate a home theatre room.
I ended up giving everything back to my brother, 4 milk crates filled with movies and the player took up to much room.

I equate the quality of the RCA video disc to less than a 700mb movie file

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:18 pm 

I finally got a player. :D

A couple weeks ago I was given a Pioneer CLD-1070 that lasted 3 disc's and then died. That is a good warning to make sure anyone purchasing a player checks it out as much as they can, or that they are given a good return policy.

My most recent acquisition is another Pioneer, a CLD D503. I know it is not the greatest player, but I can tell you it is a step up over the 1070 in picture quality, and it plays both sides; which is a bonus for me.

I'll continue my search for a Elite 97 or 99.

In the mean time I can finally watch my growing collection of 100+ classical music performances.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:40 pm 

Congratulations! It is good to have more than one player in case one dies. Plus as time goes on the players will get harder to find and more difficult to get parts for. I have 4 players so I should be good for a while.