Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 am 

are you near a hydro main power transformer? any electrical done in your home lately? any switches on the plug your using to power things? are you charging anything that may be plugged into the same circuit? any new baseboards or woodwork in that area? new appliances in the house? are you wearing your tinfoil hat? have you noticed any unusual solar flares or visitors in your dreams? does your significant other hate your gear? any chance he/she is spraying windex or furniture polish around the unit? any chance your tv is a sony? does your remote have the copper ground tab on the back? have you ever experienced hallucinations before while watching craig fergusson? are you running one of those little vinyl brushes that attaches to arm? do you have an electric tooth brush? is it holding a charge?

that is a strange one... i'm lost. An electricians opinion would make sense to me at this point.

good luck 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 am 

wesworld1970 wrote:
are you near a hydro main power transformer? any electrical done in your home lately? any switches on the plug your using to power things? are you charging anything that may be plugged into the same circuit? any new baseboards or woodwork in that area? new appliances in the house? are you wearing your tinfoil hat? have you noticed any unusual solar flares or visitors in your dreams? does your significant other hate your gear? any chance he/she is spraying windex or furniture polish around the unit? any chance your tv is a sony? does your remote have the copper ground tab on the back? have you ever experienced hallucinations before while watching craig fergusson? are you running one of those little vinyl brushes that attaches to arm? do you have an electric tooth brush? is it holding a charge?

that is a strange one... i'm lost. An electricians opinion would make sense to me at this point.

good luck 8)

Thanks. To answer a few of your questions:
not near a transformer-electrical or action figure
significant other hates me is ok with gear (that was yesterday she may have changed today)
hallucinations-yes, mostly alcohol based.
tinfoil hat-no, I like the voices
Sony no Samsung yes.
electric toothbrush- no,too cheap.Use the $1.00 Shoppers Drug mart specials.
No new appliances.
Aliens, strange visitors-yes I call them "drinking buddies".
The only things on that circuit are A/V and audio gear. No problems other than the horror story I've related before.
An electrician/engineer seems like a good idea to me too.

-- 04 Jul 2011 19:37 --

wesworld1970 wrote:

good luck 8)

Thanks. To answer a few of your questions:
not near a transformer-electrical or action figure
significant other hates me is ok with gear (that was yesterday she may have changed today)
hallucinations-yes, mostly alcohol based.
tinfoil hat-no, I like the voices
Sony no Samsung yes.
electric toothbrush- no,too cheap.Use the $1.00 Shoppers Drug mart specials.
No new appliances.
Aliens, strange visitors-yes I call them "drinking buddies".
The only things on that circuit are A/V and audio gear. No problems other than the horror story I've related before.
An electrician/engineer seems like a good idea to me too.

-- 04 Jul 2011 19:39 --

Sorry for double post. Don't know how I did that. :?

Last edited by mahatma1 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:49 am 

:lol: thanks for playing along...

I wish you good luck and am glued for a explanation 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:50 pm 

Looks like one of my HD PVR's has suffered the same fate. We've had a dozen or more power outages here in the past few weeks, and today when I went to watch some TV in the home theatre the picture was blinking on and off intermittently. Played a blu-ray and that was fine so it appears the problem is with the PVR. It's time to renegotiate our deal with Rogers anyway and we were planning on dropping one of the PVR's, so now we know which one we'll be returning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:20 pm 

Brooke wrote:
Looks like one of my HD PVR's has suffered the same fate. We've had a dozen or more power outages here in the past few weeks, and today when I went to watch some TV in the home theatre the picture was blinking on and off intermittently. Played a blu-ray and that was fine so it appears the problem is with the PVR. It's time to renegotiate our deal with Rogers anyway and we were planning on dropping one of the PVR's, so now we know which one we'll be returning.

Hope it all works out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:13 am 
Premium User

Mahatma, another thread on here reminded me of something that could be related to your ongoing problems. Is every single component in your system plugged directly into your APC H-10 or do some components bypass it (cable box/PVR, power amp, TV, etc ...) and get plugged into the wall on a seperate circuit? If any component is not plugged into the APC, that component allows an alternate path to damaging power surges to get back into your system bypassing the APCs protection circuits. If so, this might explain how the HDMI cable becomes the conduit that bridges protected equipment and unprotected equipment circuits and fries one or more of the HDMI connected components.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 am 

The TV, AV receiver, blu-ray, cable box and an old Pioneer tuner are plugged into the APC. I did have the cable routed through the APC but it caused me lose several hi-def stations, so I pulled it. In talking to the electrician at work he firmly believes that an improper or poor ground on the cable box (Rogers) is the single biggest contributing factor to my electrical maladies.
He also said the HD4250 looks like it was assembled by five thumbed monkeys. The HDMI section looks like an afterthought. Although he hasn't got one yet he thinks the newer Cisco boxes have a better implemented HDMI section.
Rogers for their part agreed to come over and check the ground all I have to do stay up all day and wait.
(I work a lot of midnights).
With a little luck they should be here by the end of July.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 am 

Well I renewed my deal with Robbers and swapped out the bad PVR for a regular terminal and that solved my problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:15 pm 

Can I mix HDMI and component? Given my poor track record with Roger's cable box HDMI section I was thinking that perhaps I might run the cable box through its component out(to the receiver) and just use the HDMI for blu-ray (that way I can get all surround formats ,TrueHD etc.
Is it just a matter of assigning the different components? Would a toslink connection or coaxial connection be better?
I appreciate everyones help, I'd never make it through this stuff on my own.
And yes there is a reason for asking the first question. I don't want to bore you with the details but hopefully when I get the Rogers tech and electrician here I can explain further.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:51 am 

Mixing both should not be a problem. I believe 720P is the limit for component cables, so as long as you are ok without a 1080i picture you should be fine otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:05 am 

Man I feel for you Mahatma...I've just encountered a similar tale of woe myself. Just bought an Onkyo TX-NR3008 and made the mistake of cross border shopping for it at over 50% off retail price here. But took a huge chance being that the warranty of course is not honoured here. 4 months later the hdmi board fries, not completely, but very weird blotches of pink on skin tones and trails of flourescent green with any on screen movement. Repair bill - $780 to replace the HDMI board completely. Only a few hundred dollars less than what I paid for it, making it nearly the cost to buy it here with warranty. Certainly a hard lesson learned but I'm wondering if the similarities between myself and you are more numbered being that I also have a Rogers box that was hooked up with HDMI. Wondering if that could have been the culprit. I'm worried now that if I foot the bill for this repair, is the same thing going to happen if I hook up the box again, and what precautionary measures I might take??

All of this stemmed from my previous top of the line Sony 60" DLP that crapped out (see the class action law suits for Sony A2000, A2020 and A3000 series). Luckily had an extended warranty through Future Shop which allowed me to get the top of the line Panny 3D TV for little extra money. Of course my up to that point, perfectly working Yamaha AVR was no longer up to snuff as it lacked HDMI 1.4 and therefore no 3D. So of course had to get a nice new Onkyo with 3D capability and that's where it all went downhill. Wondering if, as the technology advances, HT gear starts to lean towards cutting more corners and thus more prominence of repair issues such as ours. What a bunch of BS. I can't believe that I got only 4 months out of the Onkyo...an AVR that costs upwards of $2500 to buy in Canada! I expected more from something touted as the near flagship of the current lineup of AVR's from Onkyo. Again though I shouldn't necessarily blame Onkyo when it very well could have been my "Robbers" box as someone said it so very spot on.

Good grief!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 am 

Some AVR's (not many) will transcode the component input and send over your HDMI to your TV.
For those that don't you have to run a component cable from the AVR to the TV and switch the inputs on the TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:32 pm 

Rephleks wrote:
Man I feel for you Mahatma...I've just encountered a similar tale of woe myself. Just bought an Onkyo TX-NR3008 and made the mistake of cross border shopping for it at over 50% off retail price here. But took a huge chance being that the warranty of course is not honoured here. 4 months later the hdmi board fries, not completely, but very weird blotches of pink on skin tones and trails of flourescent green with any on screen movement. Repair bill - $780 to replace the HDMI board completely. Only a few hundred dollars less than what I paid for it, making it nearly the cost to buy it here with warranty. Certainly a hard lesson learned but I'm wondering if the similarities between myself and you are more numbered being that I also have a Rogers box that was hooked up with HDMI. Wondering if that could have been the culprit. I'm worried now that if I foot the bill for this repair, is the same thing going to happen if I hook up the box again, and what precautionary measures I might take??

All of this stemmed from my previous top of the line Sony 60" DLP that crapped out (see the class action law suits for Sony A2000, A2020 and A3000 series). Luckily had an extended warranty through Future Shop which allowed me to get the top of the line Panny 3D TV for little extra money. Of course my up to that point, perfectly working Yamaha AVR was no longer up to snuff as it lacked HDMI 1.4 and therefore no 3D. So of course had to get a nice new Onkyo with 3D capability and that's where it all went downhill. Wondering if, as the technology advances, HT gear starts to lean towards cutting more corners and thus more prominence of repair issues such as ours. What a bunch of BS. I can't believe that I got only 4 months out of the Onkyo...an AVR that costs upwards of $2500 to buy in Canada! I expected more from something touted as the near flagship of the current lineup of AVR's from Onkyo. Again though I shouldn't necessarily blame Onkyo when it very well could have been my "Robbers" box as someone said it so very spot on.

Good grief!!

Its my belief that #1- The HDMI sections on most receivers are fragile and easy to fry.
#2- Rogers cable boxes are a large part of the problem.
The grounding in many cases is half assed or non existant and can be a culprit also.
It boggles my mind that the A/V receiver and cable boxes are the only two compoinents to ever give me grief of this magnitude.
I couldn't be more sympathetic to your luck with the Onkyo.

-- 29 Jul 2011 07:41 --

I'm reluctant to mention this but for those that have followed this saga... now its the Onkyo.
I'm working midnights this week. so before I leave from work I usually pull the HDMI cables from the receiver.
The way things have been I figured its better to be safe than sorry.
I came home early and my brother who's staying with me says "Your TV isn't working".
I check things out and you guessed it, its the receiver. Its gone nuts. It won't display a picture but would give audio.
Switching to the set up page-it flashed randomly.
I connected the cable box to the TV via HDMI and everything works.
My Blu-Ray works fine direct to the tv but won't work at all through the receiver as well.
Honest to God, I'm not a bad guy, so why is this continually happening????????
I can't get an electrician to check things out due to my shift work but really...the ONLY thing affected was the receiver.
I should have titled this thread "I'm done with Home Theatre".
The receiver is going back to my dealer. He probably dreads the sight of me coming through the door.
I'll let you know how it goes.
It just occured to me that perhaps some of you are sick of this on going story, if so, let me know and i'll shut up about it, but please know I do appreciate your comments. Many Thanks!!!!
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 pm 

I don't mean to revive an almost six year old thread but a friend recently was going through his own version of hell with his AV system.
His problems were eerily similar to mine.
For the record I now have a:
Marantz NR 1403 AVR (repaired twice for faulty HDMI boards currently-fingers crossed- working)
Tannoy MX-R speakers and CC channel (really like these liitle guys)
B&W ASW 610-simply a great little sub, great value.
Oppo BDP 80. It's an Oppo it works just as good now as when I first got it. Faultless
Panasonic 55" st series plasma. I love this set, great depth of colour.
Rogers Next Box. Don't know model number (their basic hi-def box).
Everything is routed through an APC H 10 and I also stuck in a Yalu Balula surge protector for added insurance.
I changed from fuses to breakers and had an electrician give things a clean bill of health.
My buddy unfortunately had a B stock Onkyo, it is now in his garage to listen to the radio.
He had an electrician check out his wiring, it passed.
He then bought a Denon, it crapped out (HDMI again), he's hoping they'll replace it. I'm dubious, very dubious.
I don't know whether it's sad or depressing. Probably both.
Anyway on my end of things, my AV system is working quiet nicely.
Oh! By the way, my Onkyo. It's a bloody big dust collector. I'm still debating if I should get the HDMI board replaced.
I really can't afford to fix it every six months so it sits.
Six years on and almost nothing has changed. Onkyo and Denon still suck, their AVR's are still failure prone and neither of them give a damn.
I must say for their part Onkyo will respond but getting results from them is an effort in frustration. Denon, a bad joke in all aspects.
As I said, nothing really has changed. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

Nothing to do except drink more Coors light then...right? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next