Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:40 pm 

Thanks OBI56.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:50 pm 

with the luck(i use that term losely) you've been having, i wouldnt play the loto ...i hope i never experience what you did ,should i buy a denon and it would be from a dealer and not fs or bb or the like .....i think you bought a lemon from the get go ....maybe instead of blind tests maybe we should do tastes tests :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:10 pm 

Yawn, double boring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:53 am 

Would this thing help?

Attachments:
HDM-SP.jpg [29.92 KiB]
Downloaded 346 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:05 am 

Could it hurt?

Mahatma, yours is an EPIC tale of grief.

Sorry, mate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

I think the folks at Denon Canada should read this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:37 am 

cableguy wrote:
Why? This time around it's the cable box....so far.

Sure am glad I'm not into HT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:03 am 
Premium User

Time to call in a certified electrical inspector. The surges are getting in and around somewhere in the system, and bypassing the protection. Speedy1 just made a really good post over in the Surge Suppression thread about the importance of being thorough, protecting as close to the entrance point and not relying on just 1 point of protection in your installation. This is not the first cable box that gets fried, so that is where I would look first.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:56 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Time to call in a certified electrical inspector. The surges are getting in and around somewhere in the system, and bypassing the protection. Speedy1 just made a really good post over in the Surge Suppression thread about the importance of being thorough, protecting as close to the entrance point and not relying on just 1 point of protection in your installation. This is not the first cable box that gets fried, so that is where I would look first.

Quite right OBI, but its just the HDMI section that is getting fried.I hooked up things via component and it works.
I got a new box and the HDMI works fine leading me to believe that the HDMI section is very fragile and when it goes it takes things with it generally the HDMI section of the receiver. This time I got lucky (or maybe the Onkyo is more robust than the Denon) the Onkyo is fine(I think, still can't get the Oppo to give me anything).
The best I can do is contact Rogers and get the grounding checked and add the whole house protection.
Still HDMI remains a headache. To me it looks like an ill thought out regressive standard.
That said Speedy1's advice is solid and I'm paying attention.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Quite right OBI, but its just the HDMI section that is getting fried.I hooked up things via component and it works.
I got a new box and the HDMI works fine leading me to believe that the HDMI section is very fragile and when it goes it takes things with it generally the HDMI section of the receiver. This time I got lucky (or maybe the Onkyo is more robust than the Denon) the Onkyo is fine(I think, still can't get the Oppo to give me anything).
The best I can do is contact Rogers and get the grounding checked and add the whole house protection.
Still HDMI remains a headache. To me it looks like an ill thought out regressive standard.
That said Speedy1's advice is solid and I'm paying attention.

Something else is at play here, I have used at least 4 to 5 HDMI devices over the last 4 years without any issues. lightning storm or not.

So yeah as OBI is suggesting get an electrician inspector to check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:18 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Would this thing help?

Would certainly make one wonder why such a device was made. Maybe they know just how poor the HDMI cables were thought out as the connection of choice for manufacturers. I feel for you mahatma.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

ripblade wrote:
cableguy wrote:

Yes, it's the cable box this time, but the major issue that started the whole thing was the receiver. IMHO, Denon should step up and replace the unit with a newer model.
Similar situation happened to my Dad in the early 80's with a Sony deck. It was in and out of the dealers tech shop for almost a year, Sony stepped after getting involved and replaced the deck with a newer model.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:15 am 
Premium User

cableguy wrote:
ripblade wrote:
cableguy wrote:

Yes, it's the cable box this time, but the major issue that started the whole thing was the receiver. IMHO, Denon should step up and replace the unit with a newer model.
Similar situation happened to my Dad in the early 80's with a Sony deck. It was in and out of the dealers tech shop for almost a year, Sony stepped after getting involved and replaced the deck with a newer model.

The dealer already exchanged the Denon receiver for an Onkyo, so Denon is no longer involved in this matter. Since the same sort of problems are still happening with the new receiver, the probabilities that the Denon was the source of the problems has pretty much been ruled out. The problem lies elsewhere and with all the other measures that have been taken to date, it is probably time for someone else to take a good look at it to see where the problem is coming from.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Oops, lost track of that info in the 9 page thread - my bad :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:39 am 

Just for clarity, the Onkyo did survive unscathed. The cable box did not. I have lost count how many cable boxes I have replaced, in most cases its only the HDMI section of the cable box that has fried. I had that verified by an audio/video tech.
Denon claim that when the cable box goes down it throws out a "weird" pulse causing the HDMI section of the Denon to self destruct. Rogers rejects that notion.
Please note, not a single electronic item, not even a lousy cheap alarm clock, is bothered during these "events"
only the cable box and what it is attached to.
As I mentioned the last event did not effect the Onkyo.
My next move is have Rogers check the cable ground and when I can scrape together a few bucks, add whole house surge protection.
I did have the cable routed through the APC H10 but there was quite a bit of signal loss, causing me to lose several hi-def stations. A in line cable surge protector had the same result-you had to remove it to watch PPV. I now just pull the cable and HDMI if the weather looks dodgy.
I'm more than a little frustrated by all this. I shouldn't have to check the weather before playing the A/V system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next