Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:40 pm 

Once again my Denon has screwed up. It seems like every time it gets dark there are issues with it.
In my thirty-five or so years in this hobby (obsession) this is with out a doubt the worst piece of equipment I have had the misfortune to own.
First there was the set up issues, then there was the five week trip back to Denon to repair the faulty HDMI section.
Now the HDMI is pooched again. For no apparent reason that I can see.
I'm boxing it up and taking it back to my dealer for something else. At this point I don't much care what so long as it works.
I'll lose my shirt on this but i'll be rid of the Denon and its attendant migraines.
This is an overly complicated product that is fragile and so difficult to get top performance out of I seriously doubt Denon techies could get the best out it for any lenght of time.
Sorry for the rant. Its been a tough day.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:49 pm 

My sympathies. Sometimes HT stuff has so many features NO ONE can figure them all out.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:51 pm 

Ohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...

You are going to replace it with and equally spasm inducing remote equipped POS as the last one.

Do I have this pretty much right?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:12 pm 

yournamehere wrote:
Ohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...

You are going to replace it with and equally spasm inducing remote equipped POS as the last one.

Close, but I've learned a couple things.
1- the dealer can set it up.
2- the dealer can set it up.

I know I said that before but this time...lets just say I learned my lesson.
In a better world where I'm a real rich bit*h, I'd get seven Bryston mono blocs and their surround processor, and have James Tanner on retainer.
On this planet sadly, your right, I'm stuck with another POS.
On the bright side I've drank six of those suspect beers. Still don't know wether or not they were ok. I just needed alcohol.
I guess there is a silver lining after all.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm 

When you learn and share, then we all learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:16 pm 
Premium User

mahatma1 wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Ohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...

Close, but I've learned a couple things.
1- the dealer can set it up.
2- the dealer can set it up.

I know I said that before but this time...lets just say I learned my lesson.
In a better world where I'm a real rich bit*h, I'd get seven Bryston mono blocs and their surround processor, and have James Tanner on retainer.
On the bright side I've drank six of those suspect beers. Still don't know wether or not they were ok. I just needed alcohol.

There is alcohol in Coors Light :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:37 pm 

yournamehere wrote:
When you learn and share, then we all learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 pm 

I know what you mean which is why I stick to 2 channel stereo. Not just because the sound quality is superior (discrete vs' integrated circuitry) but the days of quality build and components are long gone. That ship sailed once we were forced to experience the 80's. Virtually every company had a decline in quality when compared to their 60's and 70's output, once the 80's came along. There are some exceptions but once the 80's started it was all about cashing in for many of these companies that saw their cost of production skyrocket.

The aftermath of all that, the surround sound receiver, is really a computer (the DSP) that happens to have an amplifier parked near it. I mean, video inputs? What because someone just has to use the remote for everything they do? That extra signal path for the video only adds noise, distortion etc..

That amp is modular, uses integrated circuitry in many stages including the output stage and has 2,000,000 and counting features. Cram all that into a small box and keep the price point below say $700 and you have an audio component that really does everything else you don't need it to do while leaving behind the critical functionality, like sounding good behind. Great for watching DTS surround DVD's or Blurays but to sit and listen to stereo sound, forget it. I'll put any average 70's stereo amplifier or receiver up against a surround receiver (played back in Stereo which totally bypasses the sound processor), and it will sound better.

So don't feel defeated. The door was shut and locked tight before you even got a glimpse passed the cracks. Do what you said and swear off time wasting surround receivers. If so, use only for movie viewing and keep the serious listening to the 2 channel pro equipment from the 1960's, 1970's and some of the new quality audio coming out of the USA Canada and the UK if you can afford. You pay a kings ransom now just to get something resembling, for example, a Hafler DH 200 amp which is no high end amp but would cost considerably more now than it did in the 70's. Keep in mind, the same money that buys the POS of today, buys the real deal of the 60's and 70's. Do a search for best amplifiers in the forum threads. You will see many great and affordable amps mentioned that literally make your Denon surround look like a big waste of your time, which let's face it, it is.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:09 pm 
Premium User

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My 3310 has been working flawlessly since Dec 2009. During the same time, my friend's Onkyo HT receiver had to be repaired three times. Sometimes you get stuck with a lemon.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:

I see no comment about the taste either. Guess it doesn't matter. :lol:

My neighbour asked me help with her HT on a couple of occasions. Only thing that seemed to help was to unplug it and wait a few. That's why my 2 channel rig is not computerized.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm 

OBI56 wrote:

Seriously - Go have a beer an forget about it for a day.
Like at Beck's or Musoka Cream Ale.

We've all owned a POS at one time or another (mine was a Buick Century with a 231 cu in)

I agree with Musicware4u - 2 channel stereo sounds great for movies.
Can you use your Classe amps for both audio and video ?
or are the set ups in different rooms ?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 pm 

For the record, I do have what I think is a pretty good two channel rig. I never play music through the surround AVR. It's there to add the whiz, bang, golly gee, wow effects from movies. In all honesty I've never thought of a surround receiver as something you'd actually listen to music with.
As for Coors Light. I wanted to get the most inoffensive bland beer possible, Coors light filled the bill.
For my own tastes I prefer a properly poured pint of Guinness and on a hot summer day there are few beers better than a pint of Hoegaarden.
If I'm fishing up north with my buddies, it really doesn't matter. Coors light, Kokanee, Carlsberg light, what ever is on sale is fine by me.
I'm heading north Thursday for a week of fishing. No cell phones, no mention of work, no crappy AVR receivers, just my friends and I slagging each others questionable fishing talents. Its the perfect antidote to this Denon mini-drama.
I'll let you know what AVR I wound up with Wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:01 pm 

Complexity of the unit and the extra functions I didn't use urged me to sell off my denon ht reviever and stick with my denon 2 channel amp and preamp. Older denon stuff seems to me to be built better as well. Quality doesn't seem the same.I've come to love going back to 2 channel. Money is spent more efficiently, and a good wide sounding setup done in 2 channel sounds to me better than the 5 channel system I had with more compromised speaker placement. Two is enough, placing 5 drove me nuts!

That said, I do enjoy a well done surround system, bass cranked in a dark as Hell room.

And coors light kicks ass. You can make fun all you want but unlike some beers you can drink a cooks cold, warm, slushy, sober, drunk, high, low or in outer space and it still tastes great. I just dunno about being found in a closet... :mrgreen: did u ever get the brew date code off the bottle?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 pm 

I absolutely detest home theatre stuff, it's over-the-top complicated for what it does and seems hardly worth the effort when it's finally up and running. Yes I have a HT, took me forever to get it to work right and for my Harmony remote to work with everything nicely. I guess I'm an old dawg @ 50 years old, but give me a two channel system any time 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 am 

I consider myself to be reasonably tech savvy, but this AV POS is so complicated. Why do you need an owners manual to change sound settings or change a radio preset? I am old enough to remember when every function had a knob or button, not on screen sub menus. :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next