Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:07 am
Posts: 789
Location: London, ON, CA
ppat2 wrote:
The multi channel sounds too gimmicky in comparison. I have attended maybe 200 concerts in my time, none were in surround sound....


I'd bet none of those concerts were in stereo, either.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 am
Posts: 12
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Good, so it sounds like the HDMI between the different devices is ok. Any chance the surge protection device the receivers have been plugged into is bad? Have all receivers been on the same surge protector, same socket? Is there a grounding problem? I have no idea why all would toss the HDMI if there is a power/surge/ grounding issue vs some other components. Best wishes in your trouble shooting efforts!

If you find the root cause be sure to post it as we can all learn something here for sure.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 am
Posts: 112
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
L-Man wrote:
ppat2 wrote:
The multi channel sounds too gimmicky in comparison. I have attended maybe 200 concerts in my time, none were in surround sound....


I'd bet none of those concerts were in stereo, either.


True but stereo better mimicks the direct wall of sound effect you hear at live events.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
MC39693 wrote:
Good, so it sounds like the HDMI between the different devices is ok. Any chance the surge protection device the receivers have been plugged into is bad? Have all receivers been on the same surge protector, same socket? Is there a grounding problem? I have no idea why all would toss the HDMI if there is a power/surge/ grounding issue vs some other components. Best wishes in your trouble shooting efforts!

If you find the root cause be sure to post it as we can all learn something here for sure.

The surge protector is an APC H 10. To the best of my knowledge it works as it is supposed to. I've got a few things plugged into it with no problems.
I've also added a Blue Circle Yalu Balula. Not sure what more I can do.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 am
Posts: 112
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
mahatma1 wrote:
MC39693 wrote:
Good, so it sounds like the HDMI between the different devices is ok. Any chance the surge protection device the receivers have been plugged into is bad? Have all receivers been on the same surge protector, same socket? Is there a grounding problem? I have no idea why all would toss the HDMI if there is a power/surge/ grounding issue vs some other components. Best wishes in your trouble shooting efforts!

If you find the root cause be sure to post it as we can all learn something here for sure.

The surge protector is an APC H 10. To the best of my knowledge it works as it is supposed to. I've got a few things plugged into it with no problems.
I've also added a Blue Circle Yalu Balula. Not sure what more I can do.


You have had this failure on multiple receivers. Are all the receivers parked in the same rack each time?

Apparently there are some junk chinese capacitors used by many of the AVR brands for the HDMI boards and they cannot tolerate much heat. An external fan will not cool the inside guts of the AVR sufficiently, only lots of free space will. If you do not have at least 4 inches minumum of free space on the sides of the AVR and at least 6 inches on top, then that could be your common denominator with all these AVRs.

With your next AVR or the one(s) being fixed, put them on the floor or on top or back of your rack for at least a month to test this out. Might not be pretty but is a logical test and costs nothing. The external cooling fans on an enclosed AVR may not be sufficient to prevent this problem. I think it is critical you try this. Unless of course you have and I missed that in this thread...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
ppat2 wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
MC39693 wrote:
Good, so it sounds like the HDMI between the different devices is ok. Any chance the surge protection device the receivers have been plugged into is bad? Have all receivers been on the same surge protector, same socket? Is there a grounding problem? I have no idea why all would toss the HDMI if there is a power/surge/ grounding issue vs some other components. Best wishes in your trouble shooting efforts!

If you find the root cause be sure to post it as we can all learn something here for sure.

The surge protector is an APC H 10. To the best of my knowledge it works as it is supposed to. I've got a few things plugged into it with no problems.
I've also added a Blue Circle Yalu Balula. Not sure what more I can do.


You have had this failure on multiple receivers. Are all the receivers parked in the same rack each time?

Apparently there are some junk chinese capacitors used by many of the AVR brands for the HDMI boards and they cannot tolerate much heat. An external fan will not cool the inside guts of the AVR sufficiently, only lots of free space will. If you do not have at least 4 inches minumum of free space on the sides of the AVR and at least 6 inches on top, then that could be your common denominator with all these AVRs.

With your next AVR or the one(s) being fixed, put them on the floor or on top or back of your rack for at least a month to test this out. Might not be pretty but is a logical test and costs nothing. The external cooling fans on an enclosed AVR may not be sufficient to prevent this problem. I think it is critical you try this. Unless of course you have and I missed that in this thread...

There is nothing above the receiver. It has all kinds of free space all around.it
No obstructions of any kind.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 am
Posts: 12
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Another common item is just the tv to receiver via the HDMI cable. Is there any static that may be discharged from tv to receivers? Have you always used the same HDMI cable? Ever noticed static at/near the tv?

Got any friends who are electricians? I’d have one check everything out as it seems tricky to diagnose,


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
MC39693 wrote:
Another common item is just the tv to receiver via the HDMI cable. Is there any static that may be discharged from tv to receivers? Have you always used the same HDMI cable? Ever noticed static at/near the tv?

Got any friends who are electricians? I’d have one check everything out as it seems tricky to diagnose,

Static is a possibility. I try to be careful but you never know. I spray the area around the receiver and discharge any possible build up but I'm far from perfect.
I don't know any electricians but did have a friend of a friend look things over (he did installs) and no red flags were raised.
The tech guy that works on these didn't seem to surprised by my problems.
In short, some manufacturers are still using the same crap boards with lousy chips. Until their supply is purged the problems will persist.
That said, he thinks we may have reached that point.
HDMI was great for business. It screws up frequently, warranty or no he gets paid.
He also said he wouldn't own a receiver with HDMI.
The heart of his home system is an old "built like a tank" Yamaha.
Thinking back on things, I had an old non HDMI Denon that worked perfectly.
I sold it to a guy I work with. He's still using it. I had to have the latest and greatest.
It's been a hell of an education.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
Here is part of a reply that was sent to me from Marantz.
Regarding the HDMI board, it's not typical for boards to fail unless the unit is consistently experiencing problems with excessive heat (which you're not) or issues with excessive voltage fluctuation. After 12 years of working with HDMI and understanding how HDMI communication works, I can tell you that 9 out of 10 times the problem is not hardware related, but rather communication related (EDID, HDCP, TMDS) or attributed to voltage degradation over a long output run.
As far as voltage fluctuations go I'm not sure how anyone could control such a situation.
The Yalu Balula is supposed to absorb the small damaging spikes and the APC H10 performs a similar function but I'd be surprised if most people use anything other than the cheap things attached to an extension cord.
Bottom line, you shouldn't have to take extra measures to make sure a piece of gear works.
Make the connections, plug it in and Bob's your uncle.
Regarding getting an electrician to check things out, I phoned a couple yesterday. They pretty much said they couldn't help. I'd already done most of what they'd recommend and I'd really need an electrician and an AV installer (audio gear not being most electricians specialty) and that could get very expensive quickly.
And so it goes.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
Friday morning about 6:20 the power went out for just a second followed by a loud bang.
About half the town was affected.
This the second time this month an incident like this has happened.
Similar "blinks" happen at least 5 or 6 times a year in the summer.
None of my equipment was bothered by it but I can't help wondering if such an event could take out an A/V receiver.
I think I'm located in the Oxford County Triangle.
Strange goings on.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
I've not read all 8 pages of the thread to see if somebody has suggested this or not.
I've never heard of an HDMI board "failing". I have, however seen many USB "boards" fail, for the same reason. Their connectors broke under the weight of the USB cable plugged into them.
There are fine rigid wires that go from the USB or HDMI socket to the circuit board. If the plug is pressured, it can snap a wire to the board. Nothing seems wrong because the outer case holds the socket in place. But internally, there's no connection between the USB board and the outside world.
I've seen it happen because my kids set their laptops down the wrong way while a USB device was plugged in, and because a long, heavy, USB extension cord weighed down the socket.
I'm careful to keep my laptop and associated usb devices positioned so that the sockets are closest to the table (even if that means "upside down" and that the cords come out straight onto the table for a few feet. No pressure on the sockets.
Now I'm looking at the USB input for the DAC in my receiver. It's way up in the air sticking out into space with nothing to support a usb cable.
So if I was going to use it, I would tape the USB cable to the top of the receiver, and let just enough hand down to plug it into the back. No weight on the cable, no pressure on the socket.
If you are using an "audiophile" HDMI cable, it's probably even heavier than a regular one.
Hope this helps!

_________________
Free is my favorite price.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 am
Posts: 1190
Location: Brandon, MB, CA
I may have missed this, but what is your budget?

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." (Aristotle, 384-322 BCE)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
[quote="NordicNorm"]I may have missed this, but what is your budget?[/quote
The NR 1403 is being repaired by Marantz because of the previous problems with it.
Props to Marantz because it was a classy move and most unexpected.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:56 am
Posts: 435
Location: hamilton, ON, CA
mahatma1 wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
I may have missed this, but what is your budget?[/quote
The NR 1403 is being repaired by Marantz because of the previous problems with it.
Props to Marantz because it was a classy move and most unexpected.


I've had my 1403 for five years with no issues.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 4225
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
rgk5 wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
I may have missed this, but what is your budget?[/quote
The NR 1403 is being repaired by Marantz because of the previous problems with it.
Props to Marantz because it was a classy move and most unexpected.


I've had my 1403 for five years with no issues.

This will be the second repair on mine.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group