Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 am 

As per an email sent by Logitech to Link users:
Quote:
Dear [...],
This is an important update regarding your Harmony Link. On March 16, 2018, Logitech will discontinue service and support for Harmony Link. Your Harmony Link will no longer function after this date.
Although your Harmony Link is no longer under warranty, we are offering you a 35% discount on a new Harmony Hub. Harmony Hub offers app-based remote control features similar to Harmony Link, but with the added benefit of the ability to control many popular connected home devices. To receive your discounted Harmony Hub, go to logitech.com, add Harmony Hub to your cart, and use your personal one-time promotional code [...] during checkout.
Thank you for being a Logitech customer and we hope you will take advantage of this offer to upgrade to a new Harmony Hub.If you have any questions or concerns about Harmony Link, please email the Harmony customer care team.
Regards,
Logitech Harmony Team

https://community.logitech.com/s/questi ... =1&s1ext=0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

I don’t even have one of them and reading that annoys the heck out of me. I hate when companies decide you’ve enjoyed their product long enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 pm 

It's easy to understand why Logitech made this decision (they need to renew a licence that expires in March). Why would they pay to provide a service for a product purchased seven years earlier?

The answer, of course, is to avoid the (justifiably) horrendous publicity they're now receiving.

Companies can avoid this situation if they consider the cost of maintaining the infrastructure for the products they produce (particularly the long-term costs for products whose revenue may soon be zero). Consumers should be wary of purchasing anything (no matter how enticing) that requires the continued goodwill of a profit-driven corporation. (This is not always an easy task. I've purchased two Logitech Harmony remotes. One can be programmed via a stand-alone application but the other must be programmed via Logitech's website. If they stop supporting that function, I'm SOL. It was not possible to determine this from the box documentation.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:11 am 

aleknevicus wrote:
It's easy to understand why Logitech made this decision (they need to renew a licence that expires in March). Why would they pay to provide a service for a product purchased seven years earlier?

This is beyond just not "providing a service for a product purchased seven years ago",
Logitech will STOP those devices from working.

-- 09 Nov 2017 17:12 --

aleknevicus wrote:
I've purchased two Logitech Harmony remotes. One can be programmed via a stand-alone application but the other must be programmed via Logitech's website. If they stop supporting that function, I'm SOL. It was not possible to determine this from the box documentation.)

Yes, but your remote will continue to operate and control the devices already setup. The Link product will cease to function if Logitech continues with their plan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am 

I find it strange that Logitech keeps abandoning their successful product lines. They make some nice equipment but I’d be SOL if they didn’t release the Squeezebox software for open sourced development. Now, another product line bites the dust. I also have a Harmony remote and love the functionality but I’d be super pi**ed if they abandoned their software support for this too. I wouldn’t buy so much as a cordless mouse from them after that!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:50 am 

I purchased a Sony Dash some years back and they stopped supporting them as of July. It is now no more than a digital time display that looses about 2 mins a week. I get that they can't promise lifetime support however the Dash was sold also as a digital photo frame with a USB stick. I have complained to Sony regarding the fact that this function also does not work and should be able to without any external support just as other devices do. Have yet to hear back but this is one I will push until satisfaction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:33 pm 

Maybe this will help with the Sony Dash

“Chumby.com has initiated a program to try and offer continued support after Sony discontinued service.

Chumby.com released their Dash patch on August 6, 2017 to allow Dashes to connect with the Chumby servers.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

This created a huge customer backlash, and now Logitech is going to give a free replacement Harmony Hub to any Link owners.

The company has now done right by its customers after the backlash, which is more than we can say for some other companies. Customer pressure does sometimes force companies to make the right call, if those companies are willing to do it.

https://www.wired.com/story/logitech-gi ... rmony-hub/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm 

admin wrote:
This created a huge customer backlash, and now Logitech is going to give a free replacement Harmony Hub to any Link owners.

The company has now done right by its customers after the backlash, which is more than we can say for some other companies. Customer pressure does sometimes force companies to make the right call, if those companies are willing to do it.

https://www.wired.com/story/logitech-gi ... rmony-hub/

I cannot imagine that would be cheaper than just renewing the cert....certs are anywhere from Free to $ a few thousand dollars.
But good on them!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
I cannot imagine that would be cheaper than just renewing the cert....certs are anywhere from Free to $ a few thousand dollars.
But good on them!

I'm not familiar with the product but my guess is the long term maintenance and technical debt of the old service was just too much to bear. And once they made the announcement about bricking products their fate was sealed: either suffer long term for the loss of goodwill or replace the product. Announcing continued support would likely only have delayed the inevitable.

I'm sure now Logitech product management is trying to figure out how to evolve future products to avoid this type of risk in the future.

The unfortunate reality is alot of products become useless as the companies that made them drop support. It just happens this was handled poorly, creating a PR nightmare.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:51 am 

I don't really know how these work but assuming you've downloaded the profiles themselves to your device, couldn't you just block any connections from the Link which are trying to go out of the network hence preventing the I guess forced update which bricks them?