Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:23 am 

...The World...looks really good...airing on HBO tonight! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni7fAqjA0BE

...sorry...tomorrow night (Sunday) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:35 am 

Hi,

Thanks for the tip-off. I hope they cover Jesse Ed Davis. I first heard him backing Taj Mahal on guitar, on 'Leaving Trunk', I think.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:37 am 

Stone wrote:
...The World...looks really good...airing on HBO tonight! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni7fAqjA0BE

...sorry...tomorrow night (Sunday) :mrgreen:

The ads for this caught my attention as well. Any show that has Link Wray, Robbie Robertson and Redbone (to name a few) on it is worth checking out.
Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 am 

Couple years back our Shaw bill was getting so out of hand (now that we're both on fixed income) that we let HBO go as there was mostly a lot of repeats and just plain dreck that went with it, but damn, would sure like to see this.
I spent a few years working with 1st Nations groups in north-central BC before moving back to the island and there was a time I spent a summer working in a culture and healing camp in the mountains. This one time I accompanied a group of other healers to attend the evening ceremony for a few guys who were doing a fast in small tents out in the forest. Part of the ceremony was to sing the last prayer of the day at sunset and it was such an honour to be there to hear this. In that setting in the forest with the smell of the wood fires in the dying light and the reverence of the occasion, the sound of their voices soaring through the trees in an ancient tongue sent chills down my spine like no other musical experience I've ever been part of. Just magical!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the tip-off. I hope they cover Jesse Ed Davis. I first heard him backing Taj Mahal on guitar, on 'Leaving Trunk', I think.

Cheers,
David Neice

Steven Tyler refers to him in the trailer... 8)

-- 04 Nov 2017 11:54 --

Winter_vinyl wrote:
Couple years back our Shaw bill was getting so out of hand (now that we're both on fixed income) that we let HBO go as there was mostly a lot of repeats and just plain dreck that went with it, but damn, would sure like to see this.
I spent a few years working with 1st Nations groups in north-central BC before moving back to the island and there was a time I spent a summer working in a culture and healing camp in the mountains. This one time I accompanied a group of other healers to attend the evening ceremony for a few guys who were doing a fast in small tents out in the forest. Part of the ceremony was to sing the last prayer of the day at sunset and it was such an honour to be there to hear this. In that setting in the forest with the smell of the wood fires in the dying light and the reverence of the occasion, the sound of their voices soaring through the trees in an ancient tongue sent chills down my spine like no other musical experience I've ever been part of. Just magical!

Very cool...when I was out west working in Community Living sector I had the opportunity/honour/pleasure of working with some of the coastal bands...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:11 am 

I remember seeing Redbone on The Midnight Special. I think it was about 1971 or so. They started out doing a native dance then slipped into their hit "Come and Get Your Love. A great visual.
The lyrics were as lame as it gets but the song had one of the catchiest hooks ever.
Pat and Lolly Vegas later went on to write many more songs including a song about Wounded Knee that was very controversial at the time.
I think I'm really going to enjoy Rumble. Great music and artists.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:03 am 

Quote:

Me too. Since HBO doesn't offer an online pay-per-view service for people who've cut the cord, guess I'll have to download a pirated copy online. I'd rather pay but their lack of vision is astounding.

Serves them right to lose out on revenue instead. :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknM7g9a7-g

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 am 

ripblade wrote:
Quote:

Me too. Since HBO doesn't offer an online pay-per-view service for people who've cut the cord, guess I'll have to download a pirated copy online. I'd rather pay but their lack of vision is astounding.

Serves them right to lose out on revenue instead. :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknM7g9a7-g

Yep, cost us about $20/month and there were probably 4 shows a week worth watching, if that. The movie channels that came with it showed very little my wife and I were interested in and then repeated the same crappy kid's movies for months. Just wasn't worth it when money is tight to begin with.

-- 04 Nov 2017 19:26 --

Stone wrote:
buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
David Neice

Steven Tyler refers to him in the trailer... 8)

-- 04 Nov 2017 11:54 --

Winter_vinyl wrote:

Very cool...when I was out west working in Community Living sector I had the opportunity/honour/pleasure of working with some of the coastal bands...

Right on. Aboriginal culture in BC is incredibly rich and varied.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:38 pm 

...word 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 pm 

Thanks for the heads up.Nice to see singer -songwriter/composer Buffy Sainte-Marie on the show.

.....she was way ahead of the pack in the early 60s singing about issues unique to North American indigenous people,human rights and corporate greed.Fifty + years later and still going strong.Appearing at the Mississauga Living Arts Centre on Nov. 16