Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:45 pm 

I can't even begin to describe or explain what this movie is about, but if you can get through the first few moments, and then forget everything you ever learned about or expected in movies it is addictive and compelling. I can imagine if one were to watch this whilst inhaling certain soon to be legal substances, it might be a disturbing experience. I honestly can't determine if its madness, a masterpiece or both.

Attachments:
forbiddenroom_quad_v08.jpg
forbiddenroom_quad_v08.jpg [ 362.76 KiB | Viewed 3837 times ]

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:33 am 

This guy writes the worst movies I have ever seen.Total trash.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:11 am 
Premium User

Critics seem to think otherwise..

Maddin in 2008
Year Title Notes
1988 Tales from the Gimli Hospital
1990 Archangel * U.S. National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Experimental Film
1992 Careful
1997 Twilight of the Ice Nymphs
2002 Dracula, Pages From a Virgin's Diary * International Emmy for Best Performing Arts
* Gemini Awards for Best Canadian Performing Arts and Best Direction
* Prague D’Or (first prize) at the 2002 Golden Prague Television Festival
2003 Cowards Bend the Knee
2003 The Saddest Music in the World * Winner of 3 Genie Awards (Best Achievement in Costume Design, Best Achievement in Editing, and Best Achievement in Music, Original Score)
* Maddin was also nominated for a Genie for Best Achievement in Direction
* Outstanding Achievement in Production Design, Feature Film, from the Directors Guild of Canada
* Maddin was also nominated for Best Achievement in Direction from the Directors Guild of Canada
* Film Discovery Jury Award for Best Director at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival
2006 Brand Upon the Brain!
2007 My Winnipeg * Toronto Film Critics Association for Best Canadian Film
* City TV Prize for Best Canadian Film at the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival
* Best Documentary from the 2008 San Francisco Film Critics Circle Awards
* Best Experimental Documentary from the 2009 International Urban Film Festival, Tehran.[33]
2011 Keyhole
2015 The Forbidden Room

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 am 

Close to the Edge wrote:
This guy writes the worst movies I have ever seen.Total trash.

You were saying....

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:03 am 

Maddin down't write your standard easy-to-digest Hollywood pap.

There is always lots of symbolism and allegorical references that are difficult to figure out in your first viewing of his films.

His films may not appeal to everyone, but neither does Dirty Harry, Pretty in Pink or the Fast & Furious franchises.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:56 am 

Think David Lynch being out Lynched...Maddin makes movies for cinephiles and those hungry to be challenged to think about the art they are consuming...what you bring to the table is important...passivity is not rewarded...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:30 am 

Stone wrote:
Think David Lynch being out Lynched...Maddin makes movies for cinephiles and those hungry to be challenged to think about the art they are consuming...what you bring to the table is important...passivity is not rewarded...

I am going to have to digest what you just said. :) I have to admit I have never heard of Guy Maddin, I have been to passive, now I'll have to at least watch one of his movies.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:34 am 

The only time I have ever seen someone ask for their money back at a theatre is when one of his movies is playing.

Here is a short he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZRTUKSKFhY

Last edited by Close to the Edge on Sun May 15, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:38 am 

...nuttin' wrong with passivity per se...but some peeps make movies where the experience of viewing is akin to reading...there's dots to connect and space to fill...interpretations to be arrived at...meaning to be created in the mind and or through discussion...as The Dude would say..."a lot of ins and a lot of outs..." man...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:06 am 

Geez, when read the post title I thought it was about our man caves and listening rooms. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:55 pm 

This movie to me is a bit like trying to comprehend James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. Eventually, you stop trying to figure it out and just see if you get something from the words as images.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:31 pm 

milesian wrote:
This movie to me is a bit like trying to comprehend James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. Eventually, you stop trying to figure it out and just see if you get something from the words as images.

Terrence Malick's films are very much that way too... :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:50 pm 

Compared to Guy Maddin, Jim Jarmusch's movies appear quite pedestrian. And lets not even get into The Turin Horse.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 pm 

milesian wrote:
Compared to Guy Maddin, Jim Jarmusch's movies appear quite pedestrian. And lets not even get into The Turin Horse.

lol...word!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:02 pm 

People who hate usually don't understand what they are hating. They just don't get it. Kind of like when someone says they don't understand why John Coltrane's A Love Supreme is an essential album. They just don't understand what they are hearing. Ignorance is bliss.