Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:45 am 

Everyone has their own opinion of course but personally I loved the film. Found it very entertaining as was not let down by the hype simply because I ignored the hype completely. Didn't read a single review, blog post, news story, internet page or even view a trailer for the film.

Had zero expectations after watching the three previous prequels that, as I told me children, don't really exist :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 am 

Serenity_now wrote:
Best reference quality live action bluray to date?

The video quality is very impressive (most impressive even ;) )
The audio quality is incredible with one of the most tactile and enveloping surround mixes I have heard. The LFE is second to none. If you are into high end HT this is a must buy!

What did you think?

Agreed. The video-transfer on the blu-ray is second to none IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:07 pm 

I saw Empire Strikes Back in theaters as a kid, maybe A New Hope as well.

This was enjoyable to watch; family friendly entertainment with good (mostly non-gore) action. Took my boys to see it at a local theater, and my wife to see it in Vegas (huge curved screen).

It's light in content, but fun to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the BD on my system.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:01 am 

polchik wrote:
all the specs on the blu are great … i did find the volume rather low though, in that i had to crank my amp higher than with most blu-rays. but it did sound great. and it looked great thru my projector as well. but i would still say the 'mad max fury road' blu is the one to beat …. imho

i definitely agree it's a must buy though …. and i'm so glad that they've gone back to predominantly live action and real sets. AND of course the lighting is back to eps 3 and 4 style !

I would agree Mad Max: Fury Road is an excellent reference disc as well. But I have to give it to Star Wars because of the tactful and agressive use of LFE at key moments. I found Mad Max was a tad heavy on LFE and too often. Pacific Rim style. You are right about needing to turn Star Wars up. The soundtrack has very good dynamic range so the quiet parts are indeed quiet, which makes the explosive action sequences very immediate and startling.

We watched it as a group and I lost track of the times I turn to my wife grinning while she nodded back with a grin on her face too. When the Falcon pulls a 180 and jets away..... So good! Loves me some snappy bass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:20 am 

good sound wrote:
Very good Blu-ray, but I think I have seen and heard better.

The film itself is a different story. Am I the only person on Earth, who saw this film, that thinks it fell a long , long way short from living up to the hype and accolades?

I was so exited to see this movie and yet after watching it I was left with an empty feeling that none of the previous six films did, even though some of those were technically inferior films.

A most unimaginative risk free corporate film adventure ... C'mon a 2nd Dearth Star for cripes sake!

But then I guess when there are potatoes chips bags, washing detergent bottles, and everything in between, synchronized to hit the shelves as rears hit the seats ... then I guess the risk taking can take a back seat ... way back!

Oh well, those products are still clearing out of the stores at bargain pricing ... that's something I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:02 am 

I'm sure the Blu-ray is spectacular.

But the plot was.... well, lets just say, rather unimaginitive.

Hmmmmm....

Hero escapes a dusty planet, gets captured and brought aboard a starship, escapes from star ship with the help of friends to retreat to a rebel base to go on to blow up a death star with X-wing fighters. Sound familiar?

Special Effects Budget: $800 quadzillion dollars
Plot Budget:$0

My prediction for the plot of the next Star Wars sequel.... In contrast with the original.

Empire Strikes Back
After the rebels have been brutally overpowered by the Empire on their newly established base, Luke Skywalker takes advanced Jedi training with Master Yoda, while his friends are pursued by Darth Vader as part of his plan to capture Luke.

Next Star Wars Sequel
After the rebels have been brutally overpowered by the Empire on their newly established base, Rey takes advanced Jedi training with Luke Skywalker, while his friends are pursued by Kylo Ren as part of his plan to capture Rey.

Or something like that.

LOL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:28 am 

I hate to be the odd man out, but I thought the original Star Wars movie had a thin plot. Good Guys vs Bad Guys in space....how imaginative. The entire franchise always was primarily a platform for special effects....people looking for a meaningful plot need to look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:25 am 

NB_Dude wrote:
good sound wrote:

The film itself is a different story. Am I the only person on Earth, who saw this film, that thinks it fell a long , long way short from living up to the hype and accolades?

I was so exited to see this movie and yet after watching it I was left with an empty feeling that none of the previous six films did, even though some of those were technically inferior films.

You are not alone, I tell folks if they want to see it, they can just watch the 1977 version, its a redo of that story in my humble opinion and man, does that get people going........the dialogue lacked as well...I m hoping for more out of the next episode...still enjoyed it though, just did not meet my expectations which may have been too high....

Why stop at 1977? Why not go all the way back to the Hidden Fortress and forget any of the Star Wars movies?

It is what it is....grabbing your money while having you entertained...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 am 

Fun yes, but a very disappointing movie. I passed out in the theater during this (no joke, it happened twice)

Video quality is excellent, not the best but extremely impressive.

The audio though is incredible. IMO its not too quiet.All amps / my rig are calibrated to mixing specs (85db + 20db headroom). So essentially, on a properly made blu ray, as long as I leave my volume control at -0.0DB (aka no attenuation) everything should be perfect. That is indeed the case for this, and most major films.

P.S, at 2 points in the film (early in that Jakku raid or whatever the *** the sh*tty sand planet is), this BD (well an identical disc image to the retail BD given to me 2 months ago) causes my PrePro to shut off, with bitstreaming this does not happen, only when decoded to PCM via LAV, this happens in all players utilizing the filters. Weird glitch but still something to be aware of if you're like me and think its incredibly stupid to use physical media and their absolutely horrible players.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:50 am 

Serenity_now wrote:
Forbes_2 wrote:
Kylo Ren should have never taken his helmet off.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Agreed

I think it would have been very dramatic if he took his helmet off, for the first time, when he was on the bridge with his father. We see the brief humanity explode for a moment out then get extinguished by the dark side.
prism

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:28 am 

The original trilogy has achieved legendary status. No new Star Wars release will ever be able to match the originals amongst old farts like ourselves.

That said, The Force Awakens was pretty good but I'm a bit miffed that there's no more Solo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:08 am 

Loved the movie. Exceeded my expectations

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 am 

Mutually Exclusive sets of People:

A. Those who grew up and were shaped by the original trilogy.
B. Those who think the TFA was great.

I nearly fell asleep....Captain Jack Sparrow should have fought Han Solo in those cheap scenes.....would have had same impact for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 am 

good sound wrote:

Bloray quality is outstanding. There are better transfers and audio out there (1st Hobbit & Tron Legacy soundtrack) but SW Force Awakens is for sure a reference quality blo ray.

I'm in your camp the movie was good and better than the first two prequels but it was also VERY overly-formualic. I get the whole going back to basics with the models and such but the story overall was predictable and a tad on the boring side. Casting could have been a touch better as well. The lack of Skywalker in the Force Awkens was disappointing.

I did think it was better then Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones easily. Revenge of the Sith was a better film than Force Awakens. But the original 3 still eclipse Force Awakens by a wide margin. Many seem to think Force Awakens was better than A New Hope but really all it was, was a direct copy of the formulas of the first film. A little bit of forward thinking would have been better.

I am actually glad Abrams is off it for the next one. Much in the way Empire and Jedi were so good without Lucas in Direction/Production…I think the 2nd and 3rd films by Disney will be a bit better and more revealing.

Hoping.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:07 pm 

I'm more if you want science fiction storylines watch Star Trek as it's vastly better than Lord of the Rings in Space.

Still I enjoyed the original two films and this new one. The prequels were all trash - I walked out halfway through Phantom Menace which would rank as one of the worst films I've seen. The second and third installments were tedious.

The Force Awakens was practically a direct ripoff of the original. I did like Rey who for me held the film together and has a star quality presence. Most of the other characters were flat and the bad guy IMO was very poor casting - You need a villain with the presence of - well - athe presence of a Darth Vadar. And man I have seen the movie twice and I can't even remember the guy's name - the character or the actor. Terribly weak ass villain. Still I enjoyed the film as an action film.

Star Wars: IV ***1/2/*****
Star Wars: V: ****1/2/*****
Star Wars: VI: ***/*****
Star Wars: I: */*****
Star Wars: II: *1/2/*****
Star Wars: III: **/*****
Star Wars: Force Awakens ***1/2/*****

Star Trek: 2009: ***/*****
Star Trek: Into Darkness ****/*****

-- 15 May 2016 05:08 --

My favorite reviewer on the prequels and he will certainly make you HATE the prequels even more than you do now hahaha - In fact I have watched his 7 part review of the Phantom Menace at least 4 times - it is VASTLY more entertaining than all of the prequels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Last edited by Richard Austen on Sat May 14, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.