Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 pm 

Very disappointed , too much like the original film

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:52 am 

I've also just watched this for the first time and was also underwhelmed with the story. Not disappointed. I guess I thought there should have been some more JJ Abrams doing his own thing instead of a constant tip of the hat to Lucas. However if that happened I'm sure there is would be a lot of people complaining about that also. I watched it on Netflix, and was also underwhelmed by the sound. Is there really that much difference in audio quality between blu ray and Netflix?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:05 am 

This one is a stunner. Up till now one of my fav blurays was Batman Dark Knight.

-- 15 May 2016 08:07 --

ClockwiseSet wrote:
I've also just watched this for the first time and was also underwhelmed with the story. Not disappointed. I guess I thought there should have been some more JJ Abrams doing his own thing instead of a constant tip of the hat to Lucas. However if that happened I'm sure there is would be a lot of people complaining about that also. I watched it on Netflix, and was also underwhelmed by the sound. Is there really that much difference in audio quality between blu ray and Netflix?

Yes, the sound and sometimes the master version they choose to play. with Netflix you also don't get the extras that come with a dvd or bluray. I think sometimes, but rarely. oh yeah, even a half decent collection of dvd's and blurays blows away Netflix. They have many titles but few that are obscure, or just plain hard to find. The US selection of Netflix is better than what we get in Canada. Keep in mind, this is the company that put Blockbuster out of business.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:11 am 

ClockwiseSet wrote:
I watched it on Netflix, and was also underwhelmed by the sound. Is there really that much difference in audio quality between blu ray and Netflix?

Yes, absolutely.

Netflix doesn't offer hi-resolution audio, yet. Even if they did, it is unlikely that it would be on par with the sound quality of a Blu-ray disc played back on a dedicated Blu-ray player, even if the service itself is streamed from a Blu-ray player. For now, nothing will compare to the viewing and sound quality experience of a disc based playback system when it comes to watching movies and probably won't for a long time due to issues surrounding the streaming of that kind of bandwidth without severe compression. This is why I continue to rent Blu-rays as opposed to streaming movies. Streaming is certainly more convenient, you don't even have to get off the couch, but streamed movies just don't have the picture quality and more importantly to me, the sound quality of a good disc playback system. Not only that, the renting of physical media is almost always less expensive. My local video store, a rare breed these days, charges $3.99 per night for new release Blu-rays, while most streaming services charge $5.99 or more. There is always a premium for convenience. I really miss the Red-box machines that used to populate my city. Blu-ray rentals form Red-box were two bucks, and you could return the disc to any kiosk in the country! With those prices it is not much of a surprise that they were not able to maintain that business model for very long.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:46 am 

Well then I guess I'll have to find a place that still rents.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:50 am 

ClockwiseSet wrote:
Well then I guess I'll have to find a place that still rents.

Well the previous of course all depends on having a playback system capable of exploiting the advantages. There's always a caveat.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:19 am 

That part is more less taken care of.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:24 am 

Richard Austen wrote:
I'm more if you want science fiction storylines watch Star Trek as it's vastly better than Lord of the Rings in Space.

Still I enjoyed the original two films and this new one. The prequels were all trash - I walked out halfway through Phantom Menace which would rank as one of the worst films I've seen. The second and third installments were tedious.

The Force Awakens was practically a direct ripoff of the original. I did like Rey who for me held the film together and has a star quality presence. Most of the other characters were flat and the bad guy IMO was very poor casting - You need a villain with the presence of - well - athe presence of a Darth Vadar. And man I have seen the movie twice and I can't even remember the guy's name - the character or the actor. Terribly weak ass villain. Still I enjoyed the film as an action film.

Star Wars: IV ***1/2/*****
Star Wars: V: ****1/2/*****
Star Wars: VI: ***/*****
Star Wars: I: */*****
Star Wars: II: *1/2/*****
Star Wars: III: **/*****
Star Wars: Force Awakens ***1/2/*****

Star Trek: 2009: ***/*****
Star Trek: Into Darkness ****/*****

-- 15 May 2016 05:08 --

My favorite reviewer on the prequels and he will certainly make you HATE the prequels even more than you do now hahaha - In fact I have watched his 7 part review of the Phantom Menace at least 4 times - it is VASTLY more entertaining than all of the prequels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

lol…those reviews are outstanding...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 pm 

Mr. Plinkett is great - the first review I saw from him was Avatar - if you bought a copy - after you watch his review you'll want to sell it. hahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 pm 

good sound wrote:
Very good Blu-ray, but I think I have seen and heard better.

The film itself is a different story. Am I the only person on Earth, who saw this film, that thinks it fell a long , long way short from living up to the hype and accolades?

I was so exited to see this movie and yet after watching it I was left with an empty feeling that none of the previous six films did, even though some of those were technically inferior films.

I finally saw this movie and I'm happy I saw it for free ,..

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:58 am 

Good Blueray, but absolutely dreadful movie. I hoped I would like it more on the small screen, but the stupid plot elements stick out even more. Likely the biggest missed movie opportunity of all time.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:48 am 

Richard Austen wrote:
Mr. Plinkett is great - the first review I saw from him was Avatar - if you bought a copy - after you watch his review you'll want to sell it. hahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA

Ya I get the fact that the CGI and such were 'revolutionary' but Avatar as a whole was just Dances with Wolves in Space…bloody awful.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:32 pm 

And I wasn't much of a fan of Dances with Wolves - which beat Goodfellas for the Oscar.