Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 am 

Best reference quality live action bluray to date?

The video quality is very impressive (most impressive even ;) )
The audio quality is incredible with one of the most tactile and enveloping surround mixes I have heard. The LFE is second to none. If you are into high end HT this is a must buy!

What did you think?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:19 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

I agree, and I still get goosebumps when I see the Millennium Falcon in action :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:25 am 
Premium User

Needs more cowbell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:27 am 

Lol. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 am 

Very good Blu-ray, but I think I have seen and heard better.

The film itself is a different story. Am I the only person on Earth, who saw this film, that thinks it fell a long , long way short from living up to the hype and accolades?

I was so exited to see this movie and yet after watching it I was left with an empty feeling that none of the previous six films did, even though some of those were technically inferior films.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 am 

good sound wrote:

The film itself is a different story. Am I the only person on Earth, who saw this film, that thinks it fell a long , long way short from living up to the hype and accolades?

I was so exited to see this movie and yet after watching it I was left with an empty feeling that none of the previous six films did, even though some of those were technically inferior films.

No, you're not alone. Although it was entertaining, it did not live up to my expectations either. Perhaps because there's really nothing new in the story, so for me at least, it's a little stale. I understand that there is supposed to be an off-shoot of the Star Wars theme, with different characters and a "blacker",theme, coming to a theater near you. Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:56 am 

I really liked the movie, especially seeing it in the theatre, but it's missing some of the magic that especially the first three movies had, though I think that perhaps that much of that was due to my being ~10 years old when "A New Hope" came out. Nostalgia is a strong emotion...
That being said, it's a far better movie than the last three. My GF and I watched all 6 in anticipation of "The Force Awakens", and IMO George was done by the time "Return" came out. It was already pretty weak, and heavy on the lameness factor with Ewoks (he just plain sold out with dreams of cross-marketing)...but the last three he did were pretty damn horrible movies, saved only by Ewan McGregor, and seeing Yoda kick some butt...
Just my opinion of course :)
B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:20 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Kylo Ren should have never taken his helmet off.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:26 am 

With all their intelligence(?)....why would you build another Death Star?
Reminds me of the Castle rebuild that sank in the swamp from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 am 

Forbes_2 wrote:
Kylo Ren should have never taken his helmet off.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Agreed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 am 

good sound wrote:

You are not alone, I tell folks if they want to see it, they can just watch the 1977 version, its a redo of that story in my humble opinion and man, does that get people going........the dialogue lacked as well...I m hoping for more out of the next episode...still enjoyed it though, just did not meet my expectations which may have been too high....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 am 

joe mandel wrote:
good sound wrote:

No, you're not alone. Although it was entertaining, it did not live up to my expectations either. Perhaps because there's really nothing new in the story, so for me at least, it's a little stale. I understand that there is supposed to be an off-shoot of the Star Wars theme, with different characters and a "blacker",theme, coming to a theater near you. Here's hoping.

Also a little unimpressed. More of the same, but some how not as good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 am 

joe mandel wrote:
good sound wrote:

after the mega-disappointment that was the force awakens (and yes i still bought it and watched it twice already lol) this offshoot film called 'rogue one' looks VERY promising indeed ….. going by the teaser trailer ….

have a look …..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 am 

Rogue One! That's the one that I was thinking about, thanks. Hopefully more raw and a lot more "attitude ", from the story and the characters.

-- 15 Apr 2016 17:26 --

Btw, welcome to Cam polchik.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 am 

joe mandel wrote:
Rogue One! That's the one that I was thinking about, thanks. Hopefully more raw and a lot more "attitude ", from the story and the characters.

-- 15 Apr 2016 17:26 --

Btw, welcome to Cam polchik.

thanks ! great to be here!

-- 15 Apr 2016 17:40 --

Serenity_now wrote:
Best reference quality live action bluray to date?

The video quality is very impressive (most impressive even ;) )
The audio quality is incredible with one of the most tactile and enveloping surround mixes I have heard. The LFE is second to none. If you are into high end HT this is a must buy!

What did you think?

all the specs on the blu are great … i did find the volume rather low though, in that i had to crank my amp higher than with most blu-rays. but it did sound great. and it looked great thru my projector as well. but i would still say the 'mad max fury road' blu is the one to beat …. imho

i definitely agree it's a must buy though …. and i'm so glad that they've gone back to predominantly live action and real sets. AND of course the lighting is back to eps 3 and 4 style !