Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Vinyl the HBO series
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 pm 

xr4ti wrote:
This is a series, not a movie. They are taking time to build sub-plots etc. They are going to great extremes to capture the the start of Punk, Glam and disco. The label in question is at the vanguard of the change. I can only imagine what the runaway success will do with the principle character. Being now partnered with th e mob etc.
It is a decent show. Better than most of the formulaic crap out there.

yep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:21 pm 

Vinyl is cool. It doesn't have any zombies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:24 pm 

F the zombies, spin the vinyl. I'm watching it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:30 pm 

I love the show. It can be difficult to watch sometimes, like the episode when Ritchie went completely off the rails. But the end of the episode with the explanation about the accident, and the dead friend, and then the Buddy Holley scene at Coney Island at the end totally redeemed it.

And the constant disasters were difficult, because you want the characters you buy into to win sometimes.

Now there are some rays of light, like the Nasty Bits coming together, and maybe Clark the demoted A&R guy is on to some things. Plus Ritchie is going to ante up and cut a deal with the Feds for Gollosso.

How about the scenes in episode two when Alice is leading Clark on that he could sign him? Brilliant. The scene with Ritchie, Elvis and then the Colonel comes in. Brilliant. The scene with Joey Ramone at the concert. The scene with Kip and the new lead guitarist at the guitar shop.

Not to forget to mention James Jagger and Juno Temple in their first parts I've seen.

And people want to criticize it? I don't get that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:42 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

No it is not the best show that I have ever seen but I do look forward to it. It can be a little over the top at times but considering what else there is to watch this is awesome.

Quote:
Worst case scenario you can watch a formulaic zombie show where key characters die due to conflicts with interchangeable bad guys. I think that also covers Sons of Anarchy, minus the zombies.

+1
Both of the above shows were good but went down the toilet in the later and now seasons . I find myself with the Zombies asking why? Why would 2 people go out looking for a truck full of food and then when they find it decide to both get in it , leave their proven - reliable car behund only to say they will come back and get it later. I thought the reason to send 2 people out would be to avoid that.

At least - Better Call Saul is on.

-- 15 Apr 2016 09:43 --

Forgot to add Billions to the decent TV .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:43 am 

The first scene is a metaphor for finding what's on TV... check the glove box, the doors, console... "F#@k it!"... and he rips the mirror off the windshield.

* Bobby Canavale was superb in Danny Collins, one of the best Pacino movies I've seen in years. Check it out.

There are going to be liberties taken. Anyone who's seen a movie made by Marty, will know that he takes liberties with historical accuracy to suit his vision, without totally bastardizing the story with absurdities. It's possible that we are too knowledgeable about music history etc, to pass the litmus test.

It should be noted that Richie qualifies all of this in the first scene as well when he describes it all as something to the effect of "some of its true, some bull$h!t" - its how HE remembers it. Proof is in the pudding - Mercer Arts Building wasn't hosting the NYD when it collapsed - but that's how Richie presents the story - it's a rock and roll fishing tale.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:25 am 

mortron wrote:
The first scene is a metaphor for finding what's on TV... check the glove box, the doors, console... "F#@k it!"... and he rips the mirror off the windshield.

* Bobby Canavale was superb in Danny Collins, one of the best Pacino movies I've seen in years. Check it out.

There are going to be liberties taken. Anyone who's seen a movie made by Marty, will know that he takes liberties with historical accuracy to suit his vision, without totally bastardizing the story with absurdities. It's possible that we are too knowledgeable about music history etc, to pass the litmus test.

It should be noted that Richie qualifies all of this in the first scene as well when he describes it all as something to the effect of "some of its true, some bull$h!t" - its how HE remembers it. Proof is in the pudding - Mercer Arts Building wasn't hosting the NYD when it collapsed - but that's how Richie presents the story - it's a rock and roll fishing tale.

Cannavale has become a master actor...old school "real" (De Niro; Pacino)...he made Boardwalk Empire better (and it didn't need to be)...I'd watch this guy do Shakespeare!!...well...maybe not Hamlet...lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:30 am 

I think it needs more cowbell !

Actually, getting into it as the series comes to an end. I was not too sure at the start. The sets and design are stunning and like the fact that they are retelling the history of music through musical interludes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:41 am 

Ants wrote:

Actually, getting into it as the series comes to an end. I was not too sure at the start. The sets and design are stunning and like the fact that they are retelling the history of music through musical interludes.

HBO has already ponied up for a 2nd season! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:58 am 

Really enjoy the show Vinyl.
Our cable co. PVR died this week....lost all the saved shows I hadn't gotten to....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 am 

Sasklite wrote:
Really enjoy the show Vinyl.
Our cable co. PVR died this week....lost all the saved shows I hadn't gotten to....

...major suckage :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:14 am 

Stone wrote:
Ants wrote:

HBO has already ponied up for a 2nd season! :D

great , there is really nothing on TV , cooking shows , reality TV etc etc , I look forward to each episode and glad to hear there will be a 2nd season .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:11 am 
Premium User

I really like the series. There are a few parts where I pause a bit, but by and large it is quite good. Cannavale and Romano are fantastic.

I was also born in '75, and my dad was a radio disk jockey in the LA area in the early 70s before going back to school, so most of what I know is just from stories, so this is a neat show from that perspective for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:50 am 

The 1st season finale was fan-f*ck*ng-tastic!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:45 am 

Stone wrote:
The 1st season finale was fan-f*ck*ng-tastic!!! :D

Yep. Sex,drugs,rock and roll, mob violence, packed into a hour. Great telly.