Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:27 pm 

Got an email from them about exiting the Canada market...So what does this mean for us?

Shaw on Demand at $6.99 per rental?
Bite the bullet and buy every movie you are interested in?
Get your movie from (ahem) other means?

My Blu ray player runs 7.1 analog or digital coaxial, no HDMI receiver for me. So I assume no hi-res audio for me. Even with Shaw on demand via HDMI I am not sure that you get the hi-res audio, I could be wrong though, as I have no way of testing it out.

Does this mean I will never get the latest wiz bang formats, or get to enjoy my somewhat ridicules $$ investment in home theatre.

Just venting really, as I see very limited options, or does someone have some ideas?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 pm 

I'm still mourning the closure of my local Blockbuster. Used to love going there with the kids and picking out movies and snacks for a Saturday night.

These days most movie watching is on Netflix. I'm not paying 7 bucks to Rogers for a movie. I already give them enough money every month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:35 pm 

Out here you buy or rent anyway. The internet is too slow for Netflix. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:55 pm 

iTunes is usually $5.99 through an Apple TV. 1080p plus 5.1 pass-through.
http://www.pavtube.com/guide/set-up-app ... gital.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:29 am 

Shaw and any cable services in canada use 640kbps AC3 audio at most. It is not high res.
In the US FiOS can be lpcm for certain things (for example, The Grammys) and the video compression is alot better.

You can't get quality from any online service unless you're pirating full untouched blu rays or remuxes (no other way to live tbh). iTunes store quality is abhorrent.

Look, there are no legal alternatives if you care about quality... just, do what works for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:39 am 

I watch most of my rentals through AppleTv now. Ease and convenience are great but at the expense of some slight picture quality loss vs a Blu-ray and certainly some sound quality loss as the soundtracks are only in DD 5.1. Makes all my expenditures to get the latest and greatest audio codec support moot but once the movies start, I get lost in the experience and don't notice that the soundtrack is in lowly DD 5.1 :)

I've since stopped buying Blu-rays all together and just buy a movie through iTunes if I want it as part of my collection. Saves me tons of NAS space and the time & effort of ripping the Blu-ray to my server to play through Plex etc.

As to the comment that iTunes quality is poor - do a quick search on some video review sites and you'll see that yes, there is a slight drop in 1080P quality but it is rather close to Blu-ray in most scenes and fares much better than most people would think. I watch moves on a 120" screen from 12' away through a JVC 1080P projector and the pic quality is damn good for my needs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:45 am 

I sometimes use Netflix, though my tastes aren't well represented there. It's a no-brainer at $7-8 per month.

I usually buy at http://www.beatgoeson.com and have whatever I want shipped to my local store in London for an extra $1 (if not in stock). I've been doing this for 10-15 years.

With The Beat Goes On, I can purchase a disc (CD, DVD, BD) watch it/listen to it as often as I like for as long as I like, and then if I decide it's not a keeper, trade it back in toward other titles. And they have a great selection of classic movie titles.

The net cost is about the same as Rogers rental used to be, but I get "like new" product and the option of keeping. One week was usually not enough for me to watch a rental anyways, with scheduling or not being in the "mood" for watching a movie.

I never used RedBox. And I never use the (ahem) other means, as it is unethical. I may be buying mostly used (not sure how this helps the studios), but at least they are legitimate product, and someone in the Canadian economy is making a few bucks on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 am 

iTunes 720p is vastly superior to the 1080p encodes, they are far too bitstarved.

Look for 95% of people, iTunes quality is fine. I wont even touch a 720p encode under 8gb (at least for keeping). The majority of my collection is remuxed blu rays, keeping the video and a lossless audio track + any commentaries. Aka identical to the blu ray but without all the extra crap like menus , trailers, promotional extras... copyright warnings etc.
Personally... I work with footage from ultra high end digital cinema cameras, completely uncompressed, when you start to see this stuff.. you'll realize even blu ray is missing alot (4:2:0 chroma subsampling *shudder*).
I don't even have a blu ray player or a disc drive on any of my computers now. Physical distribution is garbage, it just happens to be the only way to get close to full quality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:36 am 

I was disappointed to learn of redbox closing up as well as locally there are no other options for blu ray rental. The real irony is that I just bought a new marantz receiver this week to replace an ageing pioneer that was acting up. Both were being used as pre amps in my setup. I had been questioning if I should just go back to just using a 2.1 set up before I bought the new receiver. Without blu ray, quality home theatre seems to be a waste. I use netflix just like a lot of folks but the limited sound quality seems to be render my home theatre investment a moot point. . For most folks netflix is good enough and for teens they watch on their tablet or phone so quality sound isn't an issue to them. I'm seriously debating selling off my gear. Is this the death kneel of home theatre? Interest in home theatre seems to be dropping among the general population anyway and I wonder if this is a symptom or driving factor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 am 

I was sad to hear this as well....living in the country with limited internet, Red Box was a godsend. BR's are much better than any streaming or online rental I have tried.

I really do hope someone fills the gap left, but somehow i doubt it.

R.I.P Red Box, it was good while it lasted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:13 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
iTunes 720p is vastly superior to the 1080p encodes, they are far too bitstarved.

Look for 95% of people, iTunes quality is fine. I wont even touch a 720p encode under 8gb (at least for keeping). The majority of my collection is remuxed blu rays, keeping the video and a lossless audio track + any commentaries. Aka identical to the blu ray but without all the extra crap like menus , trailers, promotional extras... copyright warnings etc.
Personally... I work with footage from ultra high end digital cinema cameras, completely uncompressed, when you start to see this stuff.. you'll realize even blu ray is missing alot (4:2:0 chroma subsampling *shudder*).
I don't even have a blu ray player or a disc drive on any of my computers now. Physical distribution is garbage, it just happens to be the only way to get close to full quality.

+1

If the copyright laws remain lax here in Canada we're good to go.

I would gladly pay a fair price for top quality stream but no one offers it...anywhere. The pipelines are still too small anyway...look at how terrible Sirius radio is...no way movies can be any good we're not there yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:37 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Look, there are no legal alternatives if you care about quality... just, do what works for yourself.

I agree with this. I'm willing to pay like double if not triple the current Redbox price to rent a physical DVD / Blu-rays.

Is there still local movie rental shops these days? I don't mind driving a bit far...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 am 

Energyguy999 wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:

+1

If the copyright laws remain lax here in Canada we're good to go.

I would gladly pay a fair price for top quality stream but no one offers it...anywhere. The pipelines are still too small anyway...look at how terrible Sirius radio is...no way movies can be any good we're not there yet.

I have the fastest internet in my area (350mbps down and its surprisingly consistent dependant on source), I could (and from a server for fun, have) just *barely* stream(ed) a full quality blu ray in real time but my connection would be essentially unusable otherwise.

We use Netflix here, my partners and my sister love it, me you know what it ain't bad, other than the lack of easy linux support on non ubuntu distros. Theres enough stuff if you switch around VPNs (theres also, ProxMate for chrome and FF which is great). I still store a ton of television but generally if Netflix picks up a not horribly rare comedy series, I'll delete my own. Action, scifi, drama etc I'll never use Netflix for.

I haven't played with 4K Netflix on my own but at a friends place (uncalibrated 4k tv, non dedicated room, etc) house of cards was barely passable. I brought a blu ray file copy of the same episode for comparison, upscaled it was honestly more pleasing, and he wasnt using a high end upscaler since his GPU isnt too beefy)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:34 am 

"I have the fastest internet in my area (350mbps down and its surprisingly consistent dependant on source)"

350mpbs? What provider is this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:27 am 

Robert wrote:
"I have the fastest internet in my area (350mbps down and its surprisingly consistent dependant on source)"

350mpbs? What provider is this?

Rogers ultimate or whatever. They say it goes to 250 (since no fiber in my area *shakes fist*) but I frequently hit 350 no issue, anything after is almost impossible. They also offer unlimited data, which is actually unlimited, I've hit 9TB in a month without a problem.