Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 pm 

Although there are quite alot, some of the Blu-ray movies that stand out (for me) - for varying reasons of (and/or) literary experience/satisfaction/SQ-PQ

- SkyFall
- The Town
- Scarface
- Armageddon
- Pearl Harbour
- The Hustler
- Saving Private Ryan
- The Big Lebowski
- The American
- The Bourne Triology
- Iron Man
- Dog Day Afternoon
- Crash
- Incendies
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Criterion Collection

- Paths of Glory
- A Night to Remember

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 am 

I seem to be on a more insane movie roller coaster these days. :? To me, Benicio del Toro is one of the finest actors of our time.
A great blu ray I purchased just awhile ago.

Savages (2012 film).
Directed by Oliver Stone.
Starring Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Damian Bichir, Benicio del Toro, Salma Hayek, John Travolta, and Emile Hirsch.
One of the most compelling cartel involvement movies I have seen. Very graphic, and makes Scarface look like "Days of our Lives".
Superior directing and acting. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
As for Adele.. well its all a matter of opinion, Aesthetically I dont find her pleasing and aurally my ears arent writing home about her so....

Maybe if you chose those words in the first place instead of more abusive ones you used in your initial post no one would have cared. We all share different interests and not everyone likes all music, but the vast majority of contributors (unfortunately not all) to these forms are able to express their opinions without attacking and offending people.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm 

+1 :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:56 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Neil_d wrote:
beaastor wrote:

He criticizes the video quality and transfer of perfectly fine blu-ray movies, whilst bragging about his pirate production of a low res concert DVD. He either has no clue what he's talking about, or he's vying for troll of the year.

LOL 'pirate production', im actually flattered you're calling some remuxing a 'production'. Theres just no other version available for The Wall Live In Berlin's video recording (film + video sources but only telecine'd at PAL resolutions), whereas for most blurays theres a perfectly good transfer sitting on drives at a studio, they just mess up the encode process with DNR and low bitrates to make room for special features and multiple audio tracks (put those on another disc). I just want the best available

As for Adele.. well its all a matter of opinion, Aesthetically I dont find her pleasing and aurally my ears arent writing home about her so....

As before, you've missed the point. You are on record praising transcoded low-definition video, while bizarrely trashing the rather impressive and sharp high definition picture of the Adele concert. You dismiss the musicality of one of the most inarguably talented vocalists of our time. Both show you have zero credibility, never mind your misogynist rantings.

To be clear, you don't have to like the artist or enjoy the artist. But to make blatantly false statements because of your dislike is what erases your credibility.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:51 am 

Another grifter movie that is really immoral and not for all audiences.

Killer Joe. (2011).
A southern gothic black comedy crime film.
Starring Mathew McConaughey, and Emile Hirsch.

Mathew McConaughey at his best.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 am 

lovethesound wrote:
Another grifter movie that is really immoral and not for all audiences.

Killer Joe. (2011).
A southern gothic black comedy crime film.
Starring Mathew McConaughey, and Emile Hirsch.

Mathew McConaughey at his best.

It's a freaky movie to be sure, and I haven't eaten fried chicken since watching it. But why recommend specifically for home theater experience? I don't think there's anything exceptional about the picture or sound is there?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 am 

Neil_d wrote:
As before, you've missed the point. You are on record praising transcoded low-definition video, while bizarrely trashing the rather impressive and sharp high definition picture of the Adele concert. You dismiss the musicality of one of the most inarguably talented vocalists of our time. Both show you have zero credibility, never mind your misogynist rantings.

To be clear, you don't have to like the artist or enjoy the artist. But to make blatantly false statements because of your dislike is what erases your credibility.

Im praising the highest quality at which its currently available, I rarely even watch the concert I made it for the audio which is SACD sourced 5.1. Im not trashing the video encode itself on the Adele thing either? Im trashing her. The technical production is probably first rate ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:10 am 

Sometimes there is more to a movie than sound effects and action scenes. I do like that type of movie, but there are some movies that just "shine" on the acting and or the story.

Maybe I am posting incorrectly.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:35 pm 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Neil_d wrote:

Im praising the highest quality at which its currently available, I rarely even watch the concert I made it for the audio which is SACD sourced 5.1. Im not trashing the video encode itself on the Adele thing either? Im trashing her. The technical production is probably first rate ;)

In fairness to you, your original criticism was just the misogyny, you didn't really critique the actual video and audio of the Adele release.

As this thread is about Home Theater experience, the Adele is a good choice for most people. She's beloved by millions, and this blu-ray does happen to have first rate picture and sound. There's other good concert blu-rays, but sometimes the artist is less universally appreciated. Or maybe there's a popular artist, but sometimes either the sound, picture, or edit are weak. The Adele one is good choice for most people.

-- 20 May 2013 21:41 --

lovethesound wrote:
Sometimes there is more to a movie than sound effects and action scenes. I do like that type of movie, but there are some movies that just "shine" on the acting and or the story.

Maybe I am posting incorrectly.

Well I appreciate the idea that sometimes the standout aspect of a film is an acting performance, or the cinematography, or a clever script.

But I guess those aspects aren't uniquely applicable to a search for a 'best blu-ray for home theater experience'.

If you are thinking McConaughey's acting in Killer Joe is spectacular (I'd debate that, but not here... and maybe suggest Juno Temple was more impressive) I would just point out that is something that would be evident in a VHS or iPod streaming of the film, and would not necessarily be a particular choice for 'home theater experience'.

Another example would be say Avatar 3D. The 3D blu-ray transfer does replicate the "home theater experience" regardless of what one might think of the film itself.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:46 pm 

If Blue Ray music is included here,
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at the Radio City Music Hall.

By far the best recorded music video I have seen, and absolutely the most "you have to stop and listen to this" music
I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying on 5.1.

With reasonably good gear on a 64 Samsung.
I am more interested in music video than movies.

Just two guys, very big room.
All 2 guitars and vocals, one with 1 guitar and piano and vocals.
The piano tune will stop you[me] in your tracks.

All if you like this sort of stuff, of course

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:09 pm 

allgonoshow wrote:

By far the best recorded music video I have seen, and absolutely the most "you have to stop and listen to this" music

With reasonably good gear on a 64 Samsung.
I am more interested in music video than movies.

Just two guys, very big room.
All 2 guitars and vocals, one with 1 guitar and piano and vocals.
The piano tune will stop you[me] in your tracks.

All if you like this sort of stuff, of course

Outstanding audio but got boring for me after a while.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:20 pm 

I have the 3D version of Avatar, but I have not watched it yet.
I have seen the regular blu ray and it is a real HT experience.
3D has really come a long way.
The last 2 Resident Evil movies in 3D are incredible. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 am 

allgonoshow wrote:

It's funny because I was going to reference Dave Matthews Band as an example. I know they're talented, I know they're beloved, I know they're nice guys, and I like that style of music. But for some reason I can't stand and don't enjoy DMB. I gues I should, but I don't.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:08 am 

Watched The Last Stand last night, certainly nothing special. Unless of course you are like me and enjoy good ole Arnie style action movies :D
The PQ was great! But certainly showed that time has not been kind to the Govenator as he really shows his age here.
AQ was also terrific!! And not just the usual gun play(although yes this had a very realness to it) but outdoor scenes made great use of the surrounds in the quieter scenes with bugs buzzing etc. Dialog was spot on and never had me reaching for the remote.
The shootouts IMO were really well executed for sound, each gun had it's own signature sound and the surround field really made you feel like you were crouched behind the car with the character.

On a side note, these threads are hard to come by on this site and I would love to see this one continue with observations/impressions about BD's. If you need to argue over performers looks/weight and hurl insults take it elsewhere! Hate to see this thread locked over the actions of 2.
cheers

under construction...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next