Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 am 

I think this should be a great topic to hear what everyone finds to be the best Blu Ray for they're home theater setup.

Right now - I would have to say the best on mine is the Dark Knight.

I do find that in some area's of the movie the audio gets a little too soft and i find myself turning up the volume then 2 seconds later - having to turn it back down. All in all - a great BR for my HT.

Klipsch RC-3ii Center
Paradigm PW2200 Subwoofer
Klipsch RF-3ii Fronts
Energy CB-10 Front Heights
Philips 46PFL5505 - LCD TV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:38 am 

Off the top of my head, in addition to Dark Knight: Gladiator, Fifth Element, Top Gun, Star Wars, the Italian Job, Ronin, 007 Quantum of Solace, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Phantom of the Opera (although it's only DD+ on BD, HD-DVD TrueHD soundtrack was awesome), This Is It, and I'd say Fast and Furious if you want punchy soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 am 

I enjoyed

Thor
Transformers-all
Die Hard-the last one
Iron Man-both

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:54 am 
Premium User

The Hulk (newest one)
Iron Man (both)
Dark Knight
Lord of the Rings the Two Towers
Black Hawk Down
Transformers.... anyone of them
The Matrix (all three)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 am 

For video, my current reference movie is The Tree of Life

For audio, my current reference disc is Master and Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:18 am 

For me, I prefer the films that offer some more subtlety from time to time (in terms of audio). I recently rented the latest Transformers on BD and just gave up after about two hours. My god, how many freakin' explosions does any one person have to listen to in a film? (And why did the director feel he would need two and a half hours to tell a story so simple, lame and full of holes as this one?) But I digress.... When I rented Avatar, there was a scene where these firefly-type things are buzzing around, and one point it was as if one of them buzzed right past my own head. This was one of those 'moments' that I think all of us with 5.1 (or better) ht set-ups live and die for.
Unfortunately, most movies these days are all about the boom factor--explosions, gun fire and the like. I wish I had more than just Avatar to throw into the mix, but hey, there you go.
btw, my ht system, as noted is a 5.1 system--consisting of paradigm in walls and a paradigm ct-something sub (until i can afford something better), in a dedicated room. It's far from high-end, but when it's all dialed in can make for a great movie experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:46 am 

Tree of Life was amazing enough on dvd. Don't have a blu ray player to say for certain, but I bet the bd is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 am 

Pretty much anything by Pixar for video.
Audio is a whole different thing... do you want surround sound of LFE?
LFE: Master and Commander, Kung Fu Panda, Black Hawk Down etc.
Surround: Dark Knight, Avatar, any Lord of the Rings etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 am 

Fast and Furious - Tokyo Drift has a great soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:06 pm 

tomcio wrote:

If you are saying Master and Commander is good only for LFE and not surround, I would have to disagree. It's got some of the best pinpoint directionality in a surround mix of any Blu's I've viewed. Just the beginning battle seen alone with the sloshing water and ripping apart of wood as the canonballs rip through the hull of the ship is a fully immersive experience. It didn't win Oscars for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing for nothing. And yes it definitely gives even the best sub a workout.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm 

Shagarello wrote:
For me, I prefer the films that offer some more subtlety from time to time (in terms of audio). I recently rented the latest Transformers on BD and just gave up after about two hours. My god, how many freakin' explosions does any one person have to listen to in a film? (And why did the director feel he would need two and a half hours to tell a story so simple, lame and full of holes as this one?) But I digress.... When I rented Avatar, there was a scene where these firefly-type things are buzzing around, and one point it was as if one of them buzzed right past my own head. This was one of those 'moments' that I think all of us with 5.1 (or better) ht set-ups live and die for.
Unfortunately, most movies these days are all about the boom factor--explosions, gun fire and the like. I wish I had more than just Avatar to throw into the mix, but hey, there you go.
btw, my ht system, as noted is a 5.1 system--consisting of paradigm in walls and a paradigm ct-something sub (until i can afford something better), in a dedicated room. It's far from high-end, but when it's all dialed in can make for a great movie experience.

There's a scene in Limitless that has the sound of a spinning bike wheel that pans around the room. It's a really awesome subtle use of surround sound. A nice seamless pan. I rewound and watched it a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 pm 

Rephleks wrote:
tomcio wrote:

If you are saying Master and Commander is good only for LFE and not surround, I would have to disagree. It's got some of the best pinpoint directionality in a surround mix of any Blu's I've viewed. Just the beginning battle seen alone with the sloshing water and ripping apart of wood as the canonballs rip through the hull of the ship is a fully immersive experience. It didn't win Oscars for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing for nothing. And yes it definitely gives even the best sub a workout.

+1 for Master and Commander
And I would suggest Fight Club (especially the final scene when the buildings come down for an LFE workout) and Terminator Salvation was pretty impressive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 pm 

Rephleks wrote:
tomcio wrote:

Nope, not saying that at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:00 pm 

The recent Tron remake is pretty great too, both visually and aurally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:01 pm 

"Baraka" is simply beautiful, from start to finish on Blu-ray. Great soundtrack as well. A real showcase.
v!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next