Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 pm 

The Who "Quadrophenia" live
Rush "Clockwork Angels"
Eric Clapton "Crossroads: all of them

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:13 pm 

Totally agree on Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa, Led Zeppelin and the Adele too (even though not really my thing, she is incredible).

Add John Mayer-Where the light is. Great performance by many top notch musicians. Three sets...acoustic, blues trio and then full on pop hits. Some reworked for originality.
Also Zappa plays Zappa if you dig Zappa of course and Peter Gabriel-Secret World.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:49 pm 

I agree with the new release of the Who Quadrophinea Live in London 2013. The Who can still rip it up. It's one excellent performance. 2 CD set of the show also available.

Another recommendation is "All My Friends: Celebrating the songs and voice of Gregg Allman". Recorded at the Fox Theatre Atlanta, GA. Jan. 10th, 2014
An all star set of guests and one great Blu Ray concert. 2 set CD available as well. I bought the Blu Ray/ CD combo set. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:48 am 

Can't think of one. Most BD Presentations suck, Peter Gabriel New Blood is very well recorded, especially the live orchestra. Yes did a cool symphonic concert in 2001 that sounds ok. Uh my girlfriend and I liked that Lady Gaga concert on BD? That was kinda cool.
The Who Quadrophenia is great but if you're not a huge fan of their catalog it can get a little boring, excellent performance however.

I like metal, any live concert that's come out sucks, with the exception of Black Symphony by Within Temptation. I hate hate hate this band but the recording is stellar, and the orchestral mixing is very 'progressive' so to speak. Nightwish's recent BD was just offensive for quality, so was Epica's retrospective (which wasnt even given DTS-HD MA, just a 640k AC3 track). A couple years back extreme symphonic metal band, Dimmu Borigr did a live orchestral performance that was slated to come out on BD but never materialized. A HDTV cap is floating around with 640k audio... this was mixed damn well. Its a real shame it probably wont see retail.

The best thing I can recommend are the DTS Music Demo Discs. We have I *think* all of them that are floating around. The content on them is very hit or miss, you'll probably only have interest in a third of the tracks on each but theres alot of stuff on them not available elsewhere and lots of good concert footage. The mixing is generally far above average even on tracks where theres clearly some upmixing happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 am 

Blu-ray concerts have become the main Friday and Saturday night entertainment for the wife and I. It took a while to find speakers that reproduced the sound realistically, I used to think the BD concerts were reproduced with too little bass, but I now believe most are recorded just right and that its the typical home speaker that makes a poor job of recreating the "live" sound. My previous Martin Logan Vista speakers did a terrible job of BD concert reproduction. Adding active PA speakers to the Logans to boost the mids and lows helped, but my current Zu Audio Omen Def speakers do a great job on their own. I've tried adding a sub to try and create the kick in the chest feel, but it just imbalances the sound. Adding a sonic transducer (iBeam) under the floor comes close, even though its providing vibrations in the thighs, butt and back rather the chest.

The Nightwish BD concert (End of an Era) mentioned earlier is actually one of our favorites, we find it very well recorded. Other favorites that I can think of right now:

David Gilmour - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
All of the Paul Rodgers and Bad Co. concerts
Pendragon - Out of Order comes chaos
Big Four live in Sofia (especially Megadeth)
Stone Temple Pilots - live at the windy city
Lady Gaga Monster ball
Pink (both of them)
Rush clockwork angels
Foreigner Live
Def Leppard Viva! Hysteria
Asia - Fantasia
Styx - Grand Illusion/Pieces of eight
Black Sabbath - Gathered in their masses

Will add more when I get home and see them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:02 am 

hardeng wrote:
Blu-ray concerts have become the main Friday and Saturday night entertainment for the wife and I. It took a while to find speakers that reproduced the sound realistically, I used to think the BD concerts were reproduced with too little bass, but I now believe most are recorded just right and that its the typical home speaker that makes a poor job of recreating the "live" sound. My previous Martin Logan Vista speakers did a terrible job of BD concert reproduction. Adding active PA speakers to the Logans to boost the mids and lows helped, but my current Zu Audio Omen Def speakers do a great job on their own. I've tried adding a sub to try and create the kick in the chest feel, but it just imbalances the sound. Adding a sonic transducer (iBeam) under the floor comes close, even though its providing vibrations in the thighs, butt and back rather the chest.

The Nightwish BD concert (End of an Era) mentioned earlier is actually one of our favorites, we find it very well recorded. Other favorites that I can think of right now:

David Gilmour - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
All of the Paul Rodgers and Bad Co. concerts
Pendragon - Out of Order comes chaos
Big Four live in Sofia (especially Megadeth)
Stone Temple Pilots - live at the windy city
Lady Gaga Monster ball
Pink (both of them)
Rush clockwork angels
Foreigner Live
Def Leppard Viva! Hysteria
Asia - Fantasia
Styx - Grand Illusion/Pieces of eight
Black Sabbath - Gathered in their masses

Will add more when I get home and see them.

I was speaking of Showtime Storytime by Nightwish (its their latest tour), End Of An Era was excellent, I didnt know it was on BD. I've had the DVD since I got into music haha.

Megadeth's set from the Big 4 is sick. I haven't seen any of the other blu rays they have yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:29 am 

Within Temptation - Black Symphony
+1 for Adele - Albert's Hall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:46 am 

A real treat I picked up last year is Amy Winehouse "I Told You I Was Trouble" concert blu ray.

2 shows on one disc, plus extras. The video and audio tracks are excellent. Some real Soul boogey here with Amy's beautiful voice. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:30 am 

The Band, The Last Waltz.

-- 15 Feb 2015 18:39 --

Rolling Stones, Shine a Light.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am 

GaryWW wrote:
Within Temptation - Black Symphony

+2 for this one!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:59 pm 

Prince live at Montreaux, 2009.

Unfortunately it was not released but long time fans have this amazing quality disc set.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:58 pm 

pelsby wrote:
Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts !!

'A day in the life' is sure to bring a tear to your eye .

I second this. Excellent Bluray. The sonics don't get any better.

If you're a JB fan, check out Jeff's Rock and Roll Party.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:11 pm 

fleetwood mac -- the dance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:32 pm 

Counting Crows - live at the town hall

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next