Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Springsteen Born to run
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:15 pm 

I was listening to this album this afternoon.
It's a record that has been around me my whole life, but I really got into it about 7 years ago.
At that time I had a very lo fi system hooked up to speakers under the gazeebo, and I was just getting back into my vinyl collection. I could go on about why I like the record, but suffice to say it had nothing to do with hi fi.
Back to today, it could be my copy, but it struck me how sort of bad (the recording/production, who knows?) it sounded.
Anyone else notice this? Is there a better pressing out there?
BTW, it is a newer, used copy as the one from the gazeebo days was in rough shape.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:26 pm 

I always thought it was kind of muddy sounding unlike Darkness which to me sounds great. Maybe they were trying to do too much in the studio and saturated the tapes Dont know!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:31 pm 

drace1 wrote:
I always thought it was kind of muddy sounding unlike Darkness which to me sounds great. Maybe they were trying to do too much in the studio and saturated the tapes Dont know!!!

Yeah I think Bruce and co. were going for a sort of wall of sound approach,especially with the title track. So the engineering does not seem ac clean with separation between instruments, detail, proper imaging etc. Darkness is different approach to the sound they were going for. If you think about the way Todd Rundgren produced Meatloaf's first album. It also had that bloated dense wall of sound. Some of Bob Ezrin's productions like the first Peter Gabriel album have that wall of sound approach on some tracks. In the case of Bruce, it deff gave his album Born To Run an iconic sound which is why it still remains likely his best seller.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
drace1 wrote:

which is why it still remains likely his best seller.

Well, after Born In The USA.

Have never been a huge Springsteen fan, but a few weeks ago I listened to The Tunnel Of Love album. Most likely due to the fact it was the record released next chronologically after the mega selling BITUSA and being a very different type of record, which I believe disappointed the vast majority of his fan base who were looking forward to BITUSA 2.It was largely ignored by older fans and the majority of his new found legions which is a shame as it is an excellent much more mature record and perhaps one of the most underrated albums of that era.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:13 pm 

last time I listened to Bruce was 1998 in Germany....never thought his records will make it past ghetto blaster....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm 

Being a die hard Bruce fan since 75 my comments on Born to Run is that it took forever to record on a shoe string budget in a sub par studio. He was looking for a certain sound and somewhat achieved it. It is a classic album but not a classic audiophile album for sure. Darkness was less dense in the recording and therefore a much cleaner listen. If you are a Bruce fan i very highly recommend going to his website. He is releasing many of his classic concerts from every era. These are not boots but engineering and mixed by Bruces own team. Many of them are very very good live recordings. Live is where the E Street Band is best. Highly recommended is the Stockholm Sweden show in 88. WOW those horns are unreal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 pm 

moonriders wrote:
Being a die hard Bruce fan since 75 my comments on Born to Run is that it took forever to record on a shoe string budget in a sub par studio. He was looking for a certain sound and somewhat achieved it. It is a classic album but not a classic audiophile album for sure. Darkness was less dense in the recording and therefore a much cleaner listen. If you are a Bruce fan i very highly recommend going to his website. He is releasing many of his classic concerts from every era. These are not boots but engineering and mixed by Bruces own team. Many of them are very very good live recordings. Live is where the E Street Band is best. Highly recommended is the Stockholm Sweden show in 88. WOW those horns are unreal.

I totally agree with you. The best live show to me was from The River Tour, Tempe, AZ, 1980. Was fortunate enough to see the Ottawa show a couple of months later and that was the best live show I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 pm 

alberchas wrote:
moonriders wrote:

I totally agree with you. The best live show to me was from The River Tour, Tempe, AZ, 1980. Was fortunate enough to see the Ottawa show a couple of months later and that was the best live show I have ever seen.

Have seen him 20 times since 78 and even made it up on stage with him in Vancouver to sing Santa Claus is coming to town. That night is for a whole different forum. I do think The Ghost of Tom Joad maybe was his best recorded album. Hope you check out his Archive Series on his website. You won't regret it. PM me if you want recommended show.
v

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:19 am 

I'm getting a little Bruce'd out. I'm reading his auto biography (born to Run)
Like most artists, he really believes in himself and his abilities and that is his flaw. Not there is anything wrong with that. It would seem he has a singular vision, his own vision, so he is not one to be told what to do.
One thing somebody should have told him when he was recording born to run, was to let someone else play lead guitar. He repeats over and over in his book that he is a great guitar player. He's not.
As most of you have said regarding born to run, legendary album, a very ambitious effort but nobody was able to convince Bruce...that's ENOUGH.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 am 

I've owned various copies of BTR over the years, Canadian, US, cassette, CD. The best version I have heard is the only one I still have. The Classic Records 200g pressing mastered by Grundman or Bellman or somebody good I can't recall right now. It's still no audiophile dream but the quieter songs do sound good and overall it's very listenable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:50 am 

The CBS half speed mastered version sounds better

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:06 am 

Bruce and the boys were going for the Spectre "wall of sound" on many of the tracks of that album...some pressings are definitely a bit muddy...and here's the thing...you don't know Bruce...'til you see Bruuuuuuuuuce.... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 am 

good sound wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:
drace1 wrote:

Have never been a huge Springsteen fan, but a few weeks ago I listened to The Tunnel Of Love album. Most likely due to the fact it was the record released next chronologically after the mega selling BITUSA and being a very different type of record, which I believe disappointed the vast majority of his fan base who were looking forward to BITUSA 2.It was largely ignored by older fans and the majority of his new found legions which is a shame as it is an excellent much more mature record and perhaps one of the most underrated albums of that era.

I agree ... Tunnel of Love is my fav Boss LP. Excellent songs which, to quote Andrew Loog Oldham, are "The dividing line between art and commerce". Love his future wife Patti Scialfa's singing too.