Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:20 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

this is a new release, 45 rpm, double lp direct to disc, pressed at RTI California. appx $100usd.
I was looking forward to hearing a new direct to disc. I have a few from the 70's and find them extremely dynamic and fast.
I cued the first song, which was short and just vocals. the noise from the vinyl almost drowns out the music, it's that bad. quiet passages are unlistenable. it's not surface noise, it's the vinyl. I have domestic lp's from the 70's that are so quiet when the needle drops, that i'm not sure that it's even cued down yet. this one, there's no mistake. it's a constant low level "grinding" sound, like an airplane is hovering overhead.
getting past that, if one is able to, there's the music. musically it's ok, some upbeat tracks, but mostly ballads. not really something I go to much.
sonically, well, for a direct to disc, it's very disappointing. it's compressed more than I would have expected. the cymbals are way back and the vocals are forward. bottom end is ok, but nothing special, like a D2D should be.
overall, please save your money and skip this one. I would recommend it for $30 if it was pressed on good vinyl, but with the noise of this vinyl, this lp should not be allowed to be sold for any price.

local 905-689-1976
Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro, Harmonix, Allnic, Ortofon
BBIC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:49 am 

Return the disc or use it for target practice.

Remember DBX encoded record discs?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:00 am 

I agree. Bought a copy from Anne herself at TAVES and she signed it for me. Was looking forward to a sonic spectacular but the groove noise is just horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 am 

maybe you should put greese on your needles bearing! to get rid of that nasty grinding sound.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:04 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

natalie wrote:

it can't be returned, it's not flawed, it's just disgustingly bad quality. pathetic really.

I just sent her a note informing her of the poor quality and recommended to pull all of the product and have the lp represses on the proper vinyl.

local 905-689-1976
Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro, Harmonix, Allnic, Ortofon
BBIC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:26 am 

i remember getting a disk - soundtrack for Aliens 2 i believe - after reading glowing recommendations in the press about the sonicv qualities but to be ware of "a bit of surface noise". again, the product was unlistenable. how can people release a product that is so flawed?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 am 

Really? I just listened to my numbered copy of 2177 of 3000 and it sounded fine, I heard nothing like you mentioned over pretty revealing headphones the Beyerdynamic DT990. Maybe there was a bad batch of pressings. What number do you have?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:49 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

#1627 here. freight train noisy.....

local 905-689-1976
BBIC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 am 

corby wrote:
natalie wrote:

it can't be returned, it's not flawed, it's just disgustingly bad quality. pathetic really.

I just sent her a note informing her of the poor quality and recommended to pull all of the product and have the lp represses on the proper vinyl.

I’ve come across this with other pressings and was under the same train of thought in that it could not be returned. Much later while purchasing from the same store I had asked the clerk if the record was noisy could I return it. She said absolutely. Grant it I understand that different retailers will have different return policies but at $100 for a crap pressing it maybe worth a try.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:57 am 

Try a less revealing stylus....like a DL-103.

Seriously.

I have Jeff Beck's Live at Ronnie Scott's. Hideous recording but also noisy vinyl with a LC stylus. Plays well enough with an elliptical. Doesn't help the shitty recording though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

ripblade wrote:

Seriously.

I have Jeff Beck's Live at Ronnie Scott's. Hideous recording but also noisy vinyl with a LC stylus. Plays well enough with an elliptical. Doesn't help the shitty recording though.

yes, I do pick and choose lp's and stylus's for best match, that's why I have 11 arms and carts. however, my point was not to be able to play it to cover up the horrible pressing, I just want the community to know not to spend $100usd on this pressing.
maybe anne bison wants us to buy her open reel tape at $600usd instead.......

local 905-689-1976
BBIC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:09 am 

corby wrote:
ripblade wrote:

Seriously.

yes, I do pick and choose lp's and stylus's for best match, that's why I have 11 arms and carts. however, my point was not to be able to play it to cover up the horrible pressing, I just want the community to know not to spend $100usd on this pressing.
maybe anne bison wants us to buy her open reel tape at $600usd instead.......

Just struck this album off my list - thanks for the heads up!

Nothing takes the thrill out of a brand new premium pressing release only to have is sound like Sh$t. I've bough records that I did not particularly like the material, but that one's on me. Bad pressing, that's on the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

well after a few e-mails back and forth, anne bison and executive producers are very surprised at the noise issue. they have offered to replace my copy with a very early pressing, 1st plates. I sent the lp to seattle this week for replacement.
i'll keep you posted with the results.

local 905-689-1976
BBIC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have an update on this situation. I did send the LP back to seattle for evaluation and replacement. they sent me a copy (#50) which was pressed from first plates.
I spun it on the goldfinger, where I initially spun the other lp, then on the kondo, haniwa, and on the zyx universe. I figured it was futile to continue as the grinding sound was present with every different cartridge.
I have informed them of my findings once again.

ripblade is right, this audiophile direct to disc pressing should not be played on a revealing cartridge. very unfortunate.

local 905-689-1976
BBIC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:59 pm 

That's a shame...all that work to cut the lacquer only to have it spoiled by bad pressing.

Did it at least come with a download card? :mrgreen: