Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:27 pm 
Premium User

In all my years of coolecting I have always avoided picture discs. Bought on by accident yesterday! I was an old, sealed album and I only realized I'd bought the picture disc when I got home.

What are people's opinions on picture disc sound quality? Same as regular vinyl? Inferior? Listening to the disc right now and it seems to lack the dynamics I'd expect from an album from this era and this band but admittedly it is just one data point

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:41 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

They are more of a collectible than for their sound quality. I have heard a few and they didn't sound that great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm 

Hi,

My first copy of the Band's 'Last Waltz' was on picture disc - circa 1978 or so - I bought it in Florida. The picture quality and sound were pretty mediocre, but it was all we had prior to beta and VHS. All subsequent formats were a definite improvement and by 2010 I was up to about five or six different formats (and editions) over the years including Blue-Ray. It just got better and better.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm 

The way it was explained to me back in the day was that picture discs are meant to be seen and not heard.

Of course they can be played but the sq is below average at best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:19 pm 

Then what about coloured vinyl??? I have a number of coloured vinyl and So far quality has not been an issue for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 pm 

I have a handful of colored vinyl LPs' and the sq is very good but imo still not on par with their black vinyl counterparts i.e. the red vinyl Let It Bleed I have does not sound as good as the standard-issue black vinyl on Decca.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 pm 

i bought one , it was bella lugosis dead. from Bauhaus. the sound was not as good as original, and wear out fast. it is now today a collectors items. last time I checked they where going for $250 us. paid $20 new.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:56 pm 

In my admittedly limited experience they look cool but sound like crap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm 

hifijones wrote:
I have a handful of colored vinyl LPs' and the sq is very good but imo still not on par with their black vinyl counterparts i.e. the red vinyl Let It Bleed I have does not sound as good as the standard-issue black vinyl on Decca.

In my experience, 'Stones on the Decca label always sound better than their counterparts on London, Polygram, ABKCO, or even MFSL, so it's no surprise that your Decca copy sounds better than a coloured vinyl copy on another label.

In general, I have avoided picture discs and only occasionally bought colured vinyl. Had the Beatles white, red, blue, and love songs all on coloured vinyl at one time or another but they're all gone now as I have thinned the herd. I think the only coloured vinyl I have left are an old A&M on yellow vinyl of Frampton Comes Alive and a newer copy of Norah Jones Little Broken Hearts. Honestly, both sound great but then I don't have another copy of the Frampton for comparison and the Norah Jones only came out of white vinyl, so who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

My first copy of the Band's 'Last Waltz' was on picture disc - circa 1978 or so - I bought it in Florida. The picture quality and sound were pretty mediocre, but it was all we had prior to beta and VHS. All subsequent formats were a definite improvement and by 2010 I was up to about five or six different formats (and editions) over the years including Blue-Ray. It just got better and better.

Cheers,
David Neice

David, I'm fairly certain the OP is referring to picture disc LP records not video discs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 am 

I have both copies of the 180gm black and the picture disc of Ozzy Ozzbourne's Memoirs of a madman.

The picture disc sounds quite good! I couldnt' notice a huge difference to be honest...

I think the pressing process as well as the materials being used are much better than they used to be.

good sound wrote:
buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
David Neice

David, I'm fairly certain the OP is referring to picture disc LP records not video discs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 am 

Most picture discs have more surface noise or whooshing sounds in the grooves. Often more little tics and pops can accompany this. However they are far from unlistenable as the music signal underneath is just as good as any lp and you can listen 'through' the noise floor with analog playback. Quality varies. I bought a Screaming for Vengeance 30th anniversary picture disc and it sounds excellent and as good as my black vinyl copy. Generally I do avoid picture discs because of the possibility of extra surface noise but I do listen to the ones I have and enjoy them nonetheless. I think it's pointless to collect them just as pretty collectibles with no function. Music is meant to be listened to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 am 

I have a coloured vinyl double Lp soundtrack from the movie American Hustle...the sq is stunningly good...a real feat when you consider it contains very diverse recordings (Duke Ellington; Steely Dan; Tom Jones; ELO to name a few)...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:44 am 

Hi,

good sound wrote: 'David, I'm fairly certain the OP is referring to picture disc LP records not video discs.'

Yup, your right. My bad. Dull thinking on my part really. But for what it might still be worth, sound on those early videodiscs was pretty terrible. I think they were based on some sort of 'stylus retrieval system' but the video discs were encased (to protect them) and the drawer mechanism in the players was a sealed black box. I never knew how they actually worked. Beta tape machines were more understandable.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 am 

In my experience the sound quality is generally lower than a basic black slab. I'm not sure why that should be.
As some said earlier picture discs are more for show than than for listening.
Over the years I've collected about twenty or so of them. I can't think of one I'd single out for outstanding sound quality.