Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 am 

Radiohead has always been one of my favorite artists.

I was curious about the reissue of OK Computer as I have loved this album for 20 years.

Claims of remastering do not always result in any substantial improvements but despite numerous reviews on the web claiming no great leaps in sound quality I am convinced there is a lot more detail to be found in the remastered version. I could be deluding myself but I compared my old CD to the new one and the increased clarity is noticeable. The mix makes the vocals cleaner and a lot of the subtle background details uncover themselves.

On to the music: the second disc of rarities and b-sides is great to have. I had some of the songs before but there are some new unreleased ones here too. The music is quite "Bends-like", and that's not to say out of place with the original OK Computer either. The album really seems "timeless" and relevant even today.

A brilliant album that is even better 20 years from the original release.

I think I will have to get the 3LP release even if the packaging is seemingly not too elaborate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:31 pm 

The B sides are awesome! I purchased two vinyl copies, black and blue.

There have been numerous issues with the NA release so if you intend to buy the vinyl version make sure it's the EU release.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm 

I have an original UK pressing and it is stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:57 am 

As one might discern from my username, I'm a big Radiohead fanboy so, like with other recent releases, I've been willing to fork our the cash for their box sets. I re-ordered the UK release of OKNOTOK and was very pleased with the content. To be honest, I couldn't tell much of a difference in the vinyl remasters, but I'm fairly certain it has more to do with my weak analog gear. The 24-bit .wav, however, was excellent. It felt like the highs were lower and the lows were lower as if the body of work was dropped downward treble to bass wise, giving it a more full, complete sound. The bass really stands out, especially right away on "Airbag".

For me, the gem in the box set was the white cassette. The alternate versions of "Let Down", "Climbing up the Walls" and the early version of "Big Ideas/Nude" led me to imagine them in the studio trying different things. The cassette has so much noise on it in the form of recordings of sound effects, which we know this band loves to play with. You can hear them tinkering with the synths that compliment the songs so well. There's even more content from the computerized voice that does "Fitter/Happier".

Then of course, there's the bonus artwork. Stanley Donwood's abstract visuals have always gone well with Radiohead's haunting creations to the point where I can't hear one without picturing the other or see one without hearing the other. The tangibility of holding all of that "stuff" in your hands while listening to my favorite album of all time made the purchase price worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:25 am 

Might have to pick up the vinyl - I think that this album is one of THE great rock albums of all time (along with Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" and many of the usual suspects you'd normally see listed by CAM members :P)
B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm 

Demerara wrote:

I was curious about the reissue of OK Computer as I have loved this album for 20 years.

Claims of remastering do not always result in any substantial improvements but despite numerous reviews on the web claiming no great leaps in sound quality I am convinced there is a lot more detail to be found in the remastered version. I could be deluding myself but I compared my old CD to the new one and the increased clarity is noticeable. The mix makes the vocals cleaner and a lot of the subtle background details uncover themselves.

On to the music: the second disc of rarities and b-sides is great to have. I had some of the songs before but there are some new unreleased ones here too. The music is quite "Bends-like", and that's not to say out of place with the original OK Computer either. The album really seems "timeless" and relevant even today.

I think I will have to get the 3LP release even if the packaging is seemingly not too elaborate.

Sounds like you are saying it's louder...which is typical with remasters...they bring up the low level detail and shed the peaks...giving the impression of clarity.

I am curious if you can check the DR rating via Foobar or JRiver? I expect the 97 version to be around DR12...new version??? Could be DR6

Heat seal plastic back territory. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
Demerara wrote:

Sounds like you are saying it's louder...which is typical with remasters...they bring up the low level detail and shed the peaks...giving the impression of clarity.

I am curious if you can check the DR rating via Foobar or JRiver? I expect the 97 version to be around DR12...new version??? Could be DR6

Heat seal plastic back territory. :mrgreen:

Used the analyze audio feature on JRiver for the first track Airbag:

1997 CD:
Dynamic Range (DR)

2017 CD:
Dynamic Range (DR)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm 

The first LP version for Airbag I get a DR10, a DR7 for the Japanese CD remaster, and you get a DR6 for the latest 2017, which is pretty much common for most new albums of most genres since 2010.

Depending on the listening gear, all versions come in handy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:16 pm 

I bought 2 copies of this 3-LP set:
https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-OK-Co ... e/10471009
I've yet to play them, but I am curious to see if they are both original first-batch re-pressings (which sold-out) or the the second pressing of this reissue. Why buy one when you can get 2 at twice the price?
8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
The first LP version for Airbag I get a DR10, a DR7 for the Japanese CD remaster, and you get a DR6 for the latest 2017, which is pretty much common for most new albums of most genres since 2010.

Depending on the listening gear, all versions come in handy :mrgreen:

Like you I am no fan of dynamic range compression but DR7 to DR6 does not seem that drastic and I will still cling to the belief that the "remastering" is in part responsible for the perceived increase in clarity or whatever it is I am hearing. Not saying the increase in loudness is not a contributor either but there are extra things going on in the mix. Have you heard the 2017 release?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 am 

I have not listened to the 2017 remaster, but I have the original LP and Japanese remaster both in FLAC. The original sounds the best by far to me...the JP remaster is good for the car, but not the kind of thing I listen to driving:)

I will get around to the 2017 version, but I expect based on the DR rating to sound very similar to the JP version. However, I do find music that is originally mixed with a DR6 to sound acceptable at low volumes...cannot crank it up without finding vocals or guitars too annoying.